• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a sick rabbit to eat again

Crookell

New Kit
Our rabbits sick with a possible ear infection, he's just over 6 months old. He was at the vets on a Friday and was given some medicine which we have to syringe into his mouth which he hates! He's not eating his pellets or brocolli and carrots which he usually loves.

Try nice things like dandelion, often works with mine, or try organic baby food like Ella's kitchen, if needed its easy to syringe feed although I prefer not to do this but rather tempt the rabbit to eat itself.
If he hasn't eaten for 24 hours get him back to the vet, do you know what medicine you have, is it baytril, he may need pain killers and gut stimulant if he isn't eating.

Hiya, sorry your bun's not well and I'm sending him lots of vibes to get well soon. Whenever any of our bun family have been off their food we have given them a syringe of pineapple juice, apparently it is supposed to help their appetitite and it's worth a go. :wave:

Thanks guys. Very helpful. He's on 'septrin paediatric suspension' and 'lapizole' we have 2 rabbits so it's difficult to tell if he's eating any pellets. He's eaten some Timothy hay so I suppose that's a good sign.

Carrot tops rarely fail in my experience. I tend to leave a bit of carrot ont he end to trick them into muching something a bit more solid.

Sorry to hear your bun is poorly.

My two loved Septrin when they had it as it is usually banana flavour, they will both lick it from the end of the syringe!

Keep trying to tempt bunny with little tasty morsels and remove any uneaten foods often. I give little dishes dotted around with fresh herbs - basil, rosemary, sage, corriander, parsley, mint, grated carrot or apple (only a little of these as they are sugary) shredded greens, pellets, grass, dandilions.

I hope bunny is feeling better soon.

If he hasn't eaten anything for a while, you'll need to syringe feed him. Your vet will stock a powdered food for herbivores, which you mix with water and feed through a syringe. You can mix baby food into the food to make it a bit more appealing to the bunny.

Good luck x

Parsely is usually a huge favorite, especially fresh my very fudsy bunny eats this till her hearts content. Also try spinach and maybe cereal. When my female was ill i tried her with everything and finally settled for cheerios, hay and parsely :)
Hope hes well soon

Back