• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i or not ??

tinkabellswish

Warren Scout
well its been 3 weeks n two days since belle passed over the bridge :(
still miss ma lil girl but i feel ok about it,
tinka is now in the house due to moving and not knowing how the neighbors are but they seem like nice people,
so hear is the question i have two hutch's both two teir should i or shouldn't i get a friend for tinka
she seems happy atm but when back in the hutch think she will be lonely
help please
honest opinions are welcome :)

the only thing is is that i dont think i could rescue again
belle was a rescue and i really loved her would not change her for the world but not knowing her real age or her past really got to me when she died i could not go through having another rabbit for a couple of months then it dyeing on me belle hurt so much i loved her with all my heart and im totally selfish about not wanting to rescue another, i may in the future but atm i want a but where i know its real age

A rabbit of any age can die, and its totally sad and tragic when it happens. Some rabbits in rescues come with a very good history, or have been there since very young, but they, like any rabbit, can still not live long. Even if you get from a reputable breeder they may not live long, you also may not know their full history, although you may know their age.

What about looking for a rabbit in a rescue where you know as much as possible about it? there will be some around, like when the owner gave them up due to ill health, or they were born at the Centre, etc.

Even then though, because its a living soul, there is no knowing when it might die, wherever you get it from.

That's understandable, but if you buy one from a pet shop or breeder you still won't know whether it has any health issues. But if you got a young one that was born in a rescue then you would know its age and it will be health checked, vaccinated and neutered. There are lots of young rabbits in rescue. PACT have a lot of litters on the way from the Horsford recue for instance. Plus a lot of their current residents are unwanted litters and around 6 months old.

P1460136 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

true very true i have been looking a rescue buns for a few days but then what if this happens or that happens i may not get 1 just yet
i loved rescuing belle
it made me happy to know that she now had a good home and would be with me till the day she dies (which she was )
i remember the day i got her i was so happy
i will keep looking at rescues to see if any catch my eye
but u cant go back to the rspca i would feel judge as that where i got belle from although i gave her a five star home what would a say if they asked about her, i got her last march and she died in January don't i just sound like a fantastic owner :(

true very true i have been looking a rescue buns for a few days but then what if this happens or that happens i may not get 1 just yet
i loved rescuing belle
it made me happy to know that she now had a good home and would be with me till the day she dies (which she was )
i remember the day i got her i was so happy
i will keep looking at rescues to see if any catch my eye
but u cant go back to the rspca i would feel judge as that where i got belle from although i gave her a five star home what would a say if they asked about her, i got her last march and she died in January don't i just sound like a fantastic owner :(

Sorry, but that's totally inaccurate. They will understand rabbits die. We have had owners lose them after less amount of time in situations where they WERE to blame and even then the issue is not that the bunny died, its how to help any remaining bunny/ies. For those where bunnies die through natural causes or illness, its very tragic, but it happens. They will just be glad she died in a loving home. I sure hope you don't judge others the way you think you would be judged. If you don't judge people, why would people judge you? If you do judge other people that way, why is that?

To the first point about this happening and that happening, you can say that about any rabbit, from anywhere. You can't change the 'what ifs' or the 'what mights' sadly.

because they would expect her to be hopping around i guess its just me being stupid i no she was well looked after so don't no why i am bothed about what the might say, think im gonna go have a peek at some off them seen a black one called spice at mayflower might go and see her tomorrow

because they would expect her to be hopping around i guess its just me being stupid i no she was well looked after so don't no why i am bothed about what the might say, think im gonna go have a peek at some off them seen a black one called spice at mayflower might go and see her tomorrow

All they would expect was that you tried your hardest and she was loved and had a good life.

Spice.jpg

this is spice i, very drawn to black rabbits and she has been there for a couple of months i like mayflower they look after there animals fantastic she had a daughter called mustad but think she has been rehomed

Back