• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for Rescues? And possibly other bunny owners?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
When it comes to worming the bunnies, how often do you do it? What's the dosage you give them?

Also what do you use, panacur or lapinzole? I've been using panacur but apparently they enjoy taking lapinzole, and that may save half the battle here, and my face from being torn apart :lol:

When a rescue comes in do you do the whole 28day course, or the premptive course. And if they've been with you the whole 6 months, do you do another 28day one, or a 9 day one?

28 days at the moment worming on arrival.

What about 6 months after arrival. Reason I ask is Harley will have been with us 6 months soon, and I don't know if it's supposed to be a 9day course or a 28day course. As well as it'll be 6months since I last panacur'd mine. Last two times I have done it we did it for the whole 28days.

Are you talking about EC or intestinal worms ?

For EC control I do a one off 28 day course of Panacur 10% Liquid at a dose of 20mg/kg (0.2ml/kg) a day. I do not repeat treatment unless symptoms of active EC present. IMO overuse of Fenbendazole, especially the repeated 9 day courses, is likely to result in the Rabbit becoming immune to Fenbendazole.
Also, there has been some mention of the fact that overuse of Fenbendazoe *might* have a negative effect on bone marrow production thus causing problems with the immune system, especially in young growing Rabbits.

I do not routinely treat for Intestinal Worms and in 14 years of keeping multiple Rabbits I have never encountered them. So I would only treat if clinically necessary.

For EC control I do a one off 28 day course of Panacur 10% Liquid at a dose of 20mg/kg (0.2ml/kg) a day. I do not repeat treatment unless symptoms of active EC present. IMO overuse of Fenbendazole, especially the repeated 9 day courses, is likely to result in the Rabbit becoming immune to Fenbendazole.
Also, there has been some mention of the fact that overuse of Fenbendazoe *might* have a negative effect on bone marrow production thus causing problems with the immune system, especially in young growing Rabbits.

I do not routinely treat for Intestinal Worms and in 14 years of keeping multiple Rabbits I have never encountered them. So I would only treat if clinically necessary.

It's for EC. We lost half of Flopsi's litter to a year ago. And Shadow my poor girly has head tilt. Flopsi showed no signs, but they must have had it since birth :?
So I'm very cautious about it. I use the same as you, the 10% Panacur Liquid.

So is your honest opinion once you've done the 28day course don't do it again unless symptoms show? x

Agree with Jane.

It's for EC. We lost half of Flopsi's litter to a year ago. And Shadow my poor girly has head tilt. Flopsi showed no signs, but they must have had it since birth :?
So I'm very cautious about it. I use the same as you, the 10% Panacur Liquid.

So is your honest opinion once you've done the 28day course don't do it again unless symptoms show? x

Yes and it is based on advice from a VERY Rabbit Savvy Vet who gave a lecture at one of the RWA Conferences. But as with all things relating to Veterinary Medicine, it is an evolving science, so in the future expert advice may change and if it does my practices will too :)

Yes and it is based on advice from a VERY Rabbit Savvy Vet who gave a lecture at one of the RWA Conferences. But as with all things relating to Veterinary Medicine, it is an evolving science, so in the future expert advice may change and if it does my practices will too :)

Thank you very much hun, very helpful. And just saved me spending money, which can go towards my neutering funds ;)

Again I agree..

Back