• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding query?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Hello.

I have been bonding my two girls (who are both 1 year old) and boy who is nearly one for the last two weeks. Every day for the last five days the three rabbits have spent atleast two hours together (every evening) in my hall way - under my close supervision. They have been fine. They have even sat and groomed each other and shared food.

The girls are usually based in my conservatory with a two storey cage as their base. The boy in my spare bedroom. Today I cleaned their (girls) bottles, bowl, litter tray and cleaned the cage thoroughly. I also changed the carpet in the cage. I then hoovered and mopped the floor and changed the throw on the sofa - hoping this would take away any of the girls scent.

I put the three rabbits in an outdoor run while I did this. The one female did a bit of chasing but was ok. So, I put all three rabbits in the conservatory - with the cage door wide open. Jessica has ripped my boys fur out and left him with bald patches. :cry:The other female loves him and keeps grooming him. :love:

I am not really sure what to do now. :( :?

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks

Tanya

When you say you cleaned it, what did you use? If it wasn't distilled vinegar then they would still recognise it as their own territory, so he would be an invader she needed to drive out.

Moving them into different areas, especially bigger spaces, can upset the bond when they are bonding, which may be what happened as well as him being on their territory.

I agree with Sky.

Is there not somewhere else they can try being together? Like a large dog crate, or in the bathroom? I don't know how big your conservatory is, but it's always best to keep them together in a room they've barely been in before for the first few nights.

Go to the pound shops and look for some white viniger spray. I got a bunch here because it's a God send when rabbits leave to get rid of their scent before the new occupant goes in their hutch. It's also great when Dawn leaves me lil presents on the kitchen floor :roll:

Thank you.

They have happily snuggled and groomed each other all week - in my hall. As soon as I put them in the conservatory they started. :(

I have sorted a spray bottle, so will be off to Co-Op in a bit to get some white vinegar!

I separated them last night. I didn't know what I would find this morning.

While I am cleaning their cage and the conservatory again, I am going to put them all in the hall - they like each other when they are there.

Fingers crossed. ;)

The rabbits happily led and played together while I cleaned the conservatory and their cage with vinegar and water. :)

I then put them in the conservatory and Jess pulled clumps of fur out of both Chloe and Otis and also the dog! Benedict (the dog) was quite shocked and didn't know what to do. :roll: Poor boy.

Currently Otis is led on the sofa and both girls are led on the floor.... I hope they are ok. :?

Back