• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weepy eye

Domino27

Mama Doe
Domino has one weepy eye, noticed it today and I can't get her in the vets til Mon due to work. I've bathed it today but all the while her little paws were shaking.

here's a pic

IMAG0126.jpg

she is eating, binking, flopping, begging etc and her other eye is fine. Any ideas?

It's possibly a blocked tear duct, either from some gunk in it, Elijah had similar when I first got him, his vet reckoned he'd had an infection in the past and it had been blocked since then. Two bunnies I'm currently looking after also have weepy eyes and in their case their incisor roots are almost certainly growing against their tear ducts and blocking them, so it *could* also be the start of dental problems.

It could be something that one tear duct flush could sort out and there be no reoccurence.

Im not an expert I can only tell you what experience ive had.
Moo had the same problem a couple of weeks ago I originally thought maybe she had some hay in it and the weeping was trying to sort it out. Anyway after a few days I took her too the vet and we got some cream which sorted it right out.

Hope that helps x

She had her teeth checked not so long ago, vet said they weren't perfect but were fine. I'm taking her on Mon so will see. Thanks for the comments! :)

Personal experience suggests teeth but there could be another reason. It's not long till Monday and, if bathing it stresses her so much it may be worth leaving it alone until then - just a thought. Good luck on Monday.

Personal experience suggests teeth but there could be another reason. It's not long till Monday and, if bathing it stresses her so much it may be worth leaving it alone until then - just a thought. Good luck on Monday.

Yeah I have decided to leave it alone, i shall book the appointment tomorrow for after worl on Mon. I've never had so many problems with a bun before. It's like she throws a different problem at me every now and then to see how I cope!

Pebbles had a weepy eye earlier this week, one vet visit and £45.00 later, it cleared up on it's own :roll:

I think she may have just got a strand of fur in it or poked it with some hay which irritated it. (both are having a little moult atm)

The eye drops from the vet are on stand-by and I'm checking the eye twice daily but so far it's clear. She's had 2 treatments of the eye drops but the eye had already started to clear and they're blooming difficult to administer plus she sits with that side next to Barnaby. :lol:

Pebbles had a weepy eye earlier this week, one vet visit and £45.00 later, it cleared up on it's own :roll:

I think she may have just got a strand of fur in it or poked it with some hay which irritated it. (both are having a little moult atm)

The eye drops from the vet are on stand-by and I'm checking the eye twice daily but so far it's clear. She's had 2 treatments of the eye drops but the eye had already started to clear and they're blooming difficult to administer plus she sits with that side next to Barnaby. :lol:

I think she has something trapped in it too as she has it partially shut most of the time. I did think that Paddy had over groomed her at first!

If its wet and not gunky maybe there is something in it irritating it.. you may have to lift her eye lid up and have a good look around to be sure there isnt a bit of hay or fur in it when you wash it. One of mine had a bit of hay just under her eyelid and it made her eye sore. Simba however had a bit of an infection in his tearduct and aswell as being wet there were little white bits of good in it.
Keep bathing it in cooled boiled water til you can get it checked at the vets

Her eye seems a lot better today, not as wet. no gunk either. I tried looking behind eyelids etc bar the top looking a bit red I couldn't see anything. She is busy eating, running etc so don't think she is in any pain. see how she is tomo!

This is a relief, because my Male Lionhead/Rex Has been clearing up a bit lately too, on his own.

He had the same issue, but it's starting to get better.

Back