• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Folks with sheds and runs (or aviarys) Can we compare notes...

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
...... about winter.

After Lolas little chill scare I'm locking them in their 6x4 shed at night from about half 7 and letting them have access to their run from about 7.30am.

Anybody limiting access to run at night now? (My run is fully covered, waterproof with shutters - but I feel happier that they would be warmer at night in the shed).

I have the shed stuffed with hay now - prob too much of it!! :roll:

I don't restrict run access but then Jack and Hollie's shed is smaller (4x4). They seem fairly sensible though and don't seem to come out when it's dark....

Mine are staying out all night since it's not that cold and they are all healthy and only 3 1/2 years old.

No my lot have had permanent run access and spend a lot of time in it the cold doesnt seem to bother them. That said it has been damp and foggy here the last few days and they have been in a lot. Hope being in helps you girly

I could be being over cautious.

The vet said that because rabbits have such a high metabolism and have to eat so much to keep it up, she may not have eaten enough and that could have caused the cold weather to effect her more than normal. So it might not have been the cold directly. It's just that her temp was low.

Dont know what to do for the best. Oh they're a worry arent they?! :roll:

When it was realllyyyy cold we gave them extra pellets (we still give them some extra - John was giving them tons in fact until I found out! :roll:) and even some rabbit mix that someone gave me. We give them Readigrass mixed in with their pellets too when it's especially cold.

So maybe give them extra pellets whilst it's so cold? x

And yes - oh boy do they worry us! :p

My lot have access to their avairy all the time, they wouldnt like being shut in their shed as they very rarely go in there.. they will zoom in and out and maybe use the littertray but I would say 80% of the time they are in the run especially at night. Even when weve just had those -10 temps they were still sat out on their bench brrrr

If anything I found they used their shed more when it was warmer :roll:

Mine get their little gardens closed at night, but have the full use of the aviary. I can keep the warmth in better in the colder weather.

When it was realllyyyy cold we gave them extra pellets (we still give them some extra - John was giving them tons in fact until I found out! :roll:) and even some rabbit mix that someone gave me. We give them Readigrass mixed in with their pellets too when it's especially cold.

So maybe give them extra pellets whilst it's so cold? x

And yes - oh boy do they worry us! :p

Yes, my boys get extra pellets when the temperature's down to freezing or below.

lester and monty have access to their aviary but always seem to sit in their hutch at night.billy and sally are different,i tried covering their hutch for more insulation but sally goes and sits in the run on the cold concrete if i do that,its as though she gets claustrophbic (sp?)bless her,so i just leave it open and they sit on the carpet!

I've installed greenhouse tubular heaters in both sheds but I still let the buns have access to their runs 24/7. Flora and Parsnip will be 8 in March but still like to sit out at night. However, I noticed when it was really cold (-11 etc) they went into the shed at night. I think Pea and Pod did the same because they certainly weren't sat out when it was extremely cold. I prefer to let them choose where they want to be. But if I had a bun with mobility problems or I was worried about their ability (or sense) to get into the warm and dry, I think I'd shut them in at night in winter.

I always lock the foster buns in the shed at around 8 pm and let them out at around 7 am. I feel safer if they are tucked up in the shed at night even in the summer.

My lot have access to their avairy all the time, they wouldnt like being shut in their shed as they very rarely go in there.. they will zoom in and out and maybe use the littertray but I would say 80% of the time they are in the run especially at night. Even when weve just had those -10 temps they were still sat out on their bench brrrr

If anything I found they used their shed more when it was warmer :roll:

Same here!

I always lock mine in their in-built hutches in the runs at night - the runs are fox proof BUT I really don't want to attract foxes in by having the buns 'on-show' - so its the big lock up and shutters up when night falls.

I personally don't see myself ever limiting access. They know when they're too cold and go inside.
I worry more in summer when they lie out in the sun for hours on end.

I always lock the foster buns in the shed at around 8 pm and let them out at around 7 am. I feel safer if they are tucked up in the shed at night even in the summer.

Same here...I need the peace of mind to know they are safe throughout the night whatever the weather/temp is doing :)

I always lock mine in their in-built hutches in the runs at night - the runs are fox proof BUT I really don't want to attract foxes in by having the buns 'on-show' - so its the big lock up and shutters up when night falls.

Same here.

Even though their run is foxproof, mine get locked into their wendy house at night, in both summer and winter.

My 2 get locked in their playhouse when I go to bed, because of the overnight temps more than anything. I know the cold doesn't bother them in the slightest but I worry far too much :oops:

Mine have always been locked in their sheds at night. Initially it was because of the risk of foxes, now they're older they like their sheds and a bit of warmth.

Back