• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urinary problems- poor casper =[

beccimarie

Mama Doe
I thought it would be good to start a different thread as the vets now think casper may have a problem with his bladder, he was stretching again this morning and acting like he wanted to push somthing out.. he was pooing ok and eating although he stopped half way through the day, so we decided to go to the emergancy vets.. thankfully my vet was there and saw him, i asked her whether it could be somthing to do with his bladder, she pressed lightly on his bladder and he squeaked, she said his bladder isnt very full but he is obviously iin pain with it so he may be passing pee but not enough, she said it is either a infection or rabbit sludge, she checked he had no crystls round his priverts and its not sore. so.. i had to put him in a dog crate with no bedding to get a sample and bring it in to them monday to test his urine. Obviously my vet said if he isnt eating i need to bring him back to emergancys but he is eating ok and after another dose of metacam seems more comfortable. Anyone had urine issues before? do these seem like symptoms? the vet has told me to give a little juice in his water to keep him drinking lots to flush things through for now and dandelion leaves too, she did not want to give me any antibiotics untill she knows what it is as if its sludge she said this needs to be flushed out. Just wanted to know peoples experiances really as i have never delt with this before. Poor casper :( in the past few months he has had the snuffles, tooth ach, and now this :(

Last edited:
I don't know much about bladder sludge, but I do know it is one of the risks of a diet too high in calcium. Casper's diet is much lower in calcium now though, isn't it, now that he is eating a wider variety of foods? :) I'm afraid Spenser still gets very huffy if he does not get kale. :roll: Does Casper like dried dandelion? Sending vibes that he stays comfortable and you manage to get the pee problem sorted out. :wave:

I don't know much about bladder sludge, but I do know it is one of the risks of a diet too high in calcium. Casper's diet is much lower in calcium now though, isn't it, now that he is eating a wider variety of foods? :) I'm afraid Spenser still gets very huffy if he does not get kale. :roll: Does Casper like dried dandelion? Sending vibes that he stays comfortable and you manage to get the pee problem sorted out. :wave:

Yes, he has spring greens, rocket or basil now :) Casper loves fresh dandelions i have picked lots out the garden today (only little ones but there better then nothing) He isnt really keen on dried food :( he will have dried strawberry leaves but plantain and dandelion he wont touch unless its fresh :roll: i dont think he has been drinking alot, its very hard to tell when you have two but i dont see him drinking much now, he does love his excell pellets i think they have calcium in dont they :roll: im getting all paranoid!

I've heard of bladder sludge resulting from too many pellets, but you are very careful with Casper's diet. :) I can understand your concern, but if Casper isn't in pain try not to worry - hopefully his urine sample will confirm what is wrong and if any treatment is required. I hardly ever see Spenser drink - I actually get quite excited if I see him lapping at his bowl. :oops:

Artie has bladder sludge problems. They are not caused by too much calcium in his diet but his vet thinks it's because his bladder doesn't empty fully, so the sludge gets chance to build up.

Going back nearly two years ago he had a lot of 'off days' where he didn't stop eating but was unenthusiastic and a few proper stasis episodes. On one of the stasis episodes (looked like bloat/belly ache symptoms) I rushed him to the vet and he had a huge wee on the way there (he'd been holding it as it hurt to wee :cry:). He was x-rayed, problem identified and then had an operation (cystotomy) and has been having follow up care ever since. For about a year he's been on metacam (anti-inflammatory, because of chance of infection on lining of bladder) and diuretic to make him wee more so hopefully the calcium won't get chance to build up. He's had a good quality of life since his op in April 2009.

Artie has bladder sludge problems. They are not caused by too much calcium in his diet but his vet thinks it's because his bladder doesn't empty fully, so the sludge gets chance to build up.

Going back nearly two years ago he had a lot of 'off days' where he didn't stop eating but was unenthusiastic and a few proper stasis episodes. On one of the stasis episodes (looked like bloat/belly ache symptoms) I rushed him to the vet and he had a huge wee on the way there (he'd been holding it as it hurt to wee :cry:). He was x-rayed, problem identified and then had an operation (cystotomy) and has been having follow up care ever since. For about a year he's been on metacam (anti-inflammatory, because of chance of infection on lining of bladder) and diuretic to make him wee more so hopefully the calcium won't get chance to build up. He's had a good quality of life since his op in April 2009.

Thank you for this, yes it does seem right.. casper has had alot of off days recently and did look like belly ache/bloat symptoms. He is on metacam now everyday anyway as he has cronic dental issues and arthritis but he does not have a full dose. I hope they can finally find the problem and make him feel alot better bless him :(

i don't know if this is relevant but i've noticed similarities with casper and how bisc was. bisc has respiratory issues as you know, and we went through all this bladder issues aswell.

did i see you mention casper may have spurs or need a dental? because it turned out with bisc that it was a combination of snuffles and the stress caused bladder issues. he ended up having blood tests, urine sample testing, and xrays. all came back clear.

he used to lie stretched, push his bum back to try and wee. he did small wee's then sometimes an abnormally big wee, he was drinking so much water. he lost alot of weight and was really ill.

anyway, he had a few tiny spurs at the time which were left because of the snuffles and him not being well enough to have a ga at the time. things got worse and worse and he had to go under in the end, he was weak.

there were loads of rows of spikes on the cheek teeth, out of sight from a normal look in the mouth by the vet. after that all the bladder issues went, he gradually started to increase his weight and he is now fine. (respiratory though of course)

i went through being told it could be sludge, stones, a uti (he had treatment for this as he did have a low grade infection) and it just sounds similar, especially with him having snuffles and also you mentioning a dental.

just a thought. might not be but does sound similar. xxx

i don't know if this is relevant but i've noticed similarities with casper and how bisc was. bisc has respiratory issues as you know, and we went through all this bladder issues aswell.

did i see you mention casper may have spurs or need a dental? because it turned out with bisc that it was a combination of snuffles and the stress caused bladder issues. he ended up having blood tests, urine sample testing, and xrays. all came back clear.

he used to lie stretched, push his bum back to try and wee. he did small wee's then sometimes an abnormally big wee, he was drinking so much water. he lost alot of weight and was really ill.

anyway, he had a few tiny spurs at the time which were left because of the snuffles and him not being well enough to have a ga at the time. things got worse and worse and he had to go under in the end, he was weak.

there were loads of rows of spikes on the cheek teeth, out of sight from a normal look in the mouth by the vet. after that all the bladder issues went, he gradually started to increase his weight and he is now fine. (respiratory though of course)

i went through being told it could be sludge, stones, a uti (he had treatment for this as he did have a low grade infection) and it just sounds similar, especially with him having snuffles and also you mentioning a dental.

just a thought. might not be but does sound similar. xxx

hello :wave: yes casper has a molar at the back that is bad but not spures its the actual tooth, it cannot be removed as the risk if removing it is very high as the root is curled its not as easy as just removing a tooth :( so he is on metacam all the time now, but when my vet saw his yesterday she had a look and pressed the tooth and he no longer squeaks so she said the metacam his working for his tooth now :roll: i hope its not his tooth :( i dont know what else we could do with his little tooth :cry:

hello :wave: yes casper has a molar at the back that is bad but not spures its the actual tooth, it cannot be removed as the risk if removing it is very high as the root is curled its not as easy as just removing a tooth :( so he is on metacam all the time now, but when my vet saw his yesterday she had a look and pressed the tooth and he no longer squeaks so she said the metacam his working for his tooth now :roll: i hope its not his tooth :( i dont know what else we could do with his little tooth :cry:

ah, ok. i got confused and thought you had mentioned spurs somewhere. obviously not. :roll: he should be fine on daily metacam for the tooth then and the bladder issues are probably unrelated. i noticed on your other thread you said he seems better today so that's good. :)

xxx

ah, ok. i got confused and thought you had mentioned spurs somewhere. obviously not. :roll: he should be fine on daily metacam for the tooth then and the bladder issues are probably unrelated. i noticed on your other thread you said he seems better today so that's good. :)

xxx

May have been a thread ages ago when he had his spures removed :) he has had spures removed i the past but hes had his teeth checked over no spures this time its his back tooth. Yes he is eating better today and hopping instead of streching everywhere, he is still streching a little and he doesnt seem "right" i cant tell whats it wrong i just know somthing is :lol:
He has been a bit snuffly today too :( think it must have been all the stress.. so him and poppy went into the bathroom today for a steaming session :lol: they were a little worried as they hate being inside but he seems to be not as snuffly now so must have done some good! I have pictures of them in the bathroom will upload later.

xx

Back