• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor baby bunny

Bindi

Warren Scout
OK, so she's two months shy of nine years old, but she's still my baby :p

The vets have confirmed that Bandit's spondylosis is now in final phaze and she is suffering from neurological deficit caused by pressure on her spine. There's nothing they can do. They want me to increase her meds from three times a week to daily and make a personal decision on when I feel it is time to call it a day. :cry:

OK, so she's two months shy of nine years old, but she's still my baby :p

The vets have confirmed that Bandit's spondylosis is now in final phaze and she is suffering from neurological deficit caused by pressure on her spine. There's nothing they can do. They want me to increase her meds from three times a week to daily and make a personal decision on when I feel it is time to call it a day. :cry:

What meds is she on?

I'm very sorry by the way x

Metacam, the dog one, five drops a time.

I should think considering her condition and the severity of the pain she must be in she should, unless there is very good clinical reason not to (renal and liver blood tests) be having this DAILY and possibly split into twice a day for optimal pain relief and anti-inflammatory effects to reduce nerve inflammation and pain.

5 drops is nothing! :shock: How much does your bunny weigh? I think if it were me I would want my vet to reconsider this dosage and/or take advice from an exotics expert on correct dosaging for this condition.

My buns has osteoarthritis and has 0.3ml of dog metacam TWICE a day, he is only 4 and a half years old and weighs 1.6kg, so quite a small bunny. His pain is so much better managed by higher dose metacam as is his quality of life.

She now weighs just less than 2kg. I was told five drops, and experimented with the dosage of how many times a week until she was comfortable. She's not in pain. Even dragging her legs she's still got her smiley eyes and still tries to jump on things and if she thinks you've got food she'll set the land speed record. I'm happy with the dosage or I would have queried it before.

Back