• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hops back onto the menu thanks to celebrity chefs -- :(

Doesn't bother me! :) In some ways its better because the rabbits tend to be wild and have lived good lives.

i didn't realise rabbits were ever off the menu.... they are always in butcher shops (well the ones ive been to in the past) :?

I don't have a problem with this, unless the demand results in intensive farming.

They are talking about wild rabbits which have considerably more natural lives than most farmed animals. If people ate more meat from managed wild sources (venison etc. that really needs the destruction of some animals as there are no longer natural predators) then there would be less intensive farming and less strain on the environment.

It's diversification at the end of the day - much like C4's push with fish at the moment. People won't stop eating meat and fish anytime soon.

i didn't realise rabbits were ever off the menu.... they are always in butcher shops (well the ones ive been to in the past) :?

Ditto. When we went out for a meal for John's retirement rabbit was the 'special' and they sold out very quickly! ( We didn't have it though)

I don't have a problem with people eating wild rabbit, but the rabbit sold in supermarkets and most restaurants is farmed, and keep in tiny cages similar to battery hens :cry:

I couldn't eat rabbit now, but as long as the rabbits haven't been kept in poor conditions I can't really object as I'm not vegetarian.

Back