• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Flooring Poll

Bunny Flooring Poll

• Carpet

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Lino

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Foam Squares

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Adorabunny

Warren Scout
Just wondering what people used for their indoor bunnies flooring. My two have had sore hocks when sitting on carpet so we changed to the foam puzzle squares which they have now started picking to bits. I need help with finding them a better alternative which doesn't make them sore and can't be destroyed, so thought I'd ask your help :wave:

Up until recently we just had carpets but unfortunately we have a bunny that gets urinary incontinence so we have had to lay down some lino quickly. It looks ok actually and is far more practical. I dont know how good that would be for buns with sore hocks though as I think they need softness under foot.

I use lino in the crate, but half of that is covered with vet bed. Then I have a run attached to the crate, which is floored with pet mats as they don't like the wood laminate floor. :) I hateeee it when hay gets stuck to the vetbed/pet mats, it's soooooo annoying! :lol:

I think suggestions will likely depend on the area of floor to be covered - i.e it will be easier to suggest practical things like towels if the buns are mainly in an indoor setup, but wouldn't be a good suggestion if they freerange around the whole house :)

Charlie had foam floors while his sore hocks recovered, and now we just line the floor with cardboard boxes opened up to stop him eating the carpet and have had no problems with his feet flaring up with that:)

Are these foam tiles the same as foam puzzle pieces?

I use a rug - but i guess its similar to carpet so not much softer.
Could you perhaps put the foam tiles under some lino so they cant chew it but its still cushioned?:?

When Squidgy was inside he had a plastic carpet runner to protect our carpet, then a variety of throws and fleecy blankets on top of that. He had no incisors though so couldn't nibble anything. We bought a jersey cotton duvet cover actually and that was lovely and soft for his tootsies.

A complete bed of hay in the pen, carpet for wanders, but the pen is huge and I have to curtail the amount of running they do cos of spinal probs.They have a whole room.I prefer them on the fleece on the bed when im with them.

Both rooms are linoed and then they have blankets down in some areas. Carpet gave mine sore hocks but I think it depends on what type of carpet, some are ok. I used old duvets over the top but some bunnies will wee on these. I did use vetbed but found it made it worse unless I covered it with a sheet so in the end duvets were better.

:wave:

Both Lino & Carpet! :) and fleeces. And MDF. And the occasional sofa, if he's feeling inquisitive :lol:

Which should i vote for? lol.

I have carpet in the room, and a blanket and a box of hay to lie on in his cage :)

I would prefer lino or laminate flooring though, as carpet is such a hassle to get the hay off of. Im in rented accomodation so cant change it unforunately.

I have carpet in the room, and a blanket and a box of hay to lie on in his cage :)

I would prefer lino or laminate flooring though, as carpet is such a hassle to get the hay off of. Im in rented accomodation so cant change it unforunately.

Get some off cuts of lino and lay it down on the floor over the carpet?

Oh I forgot to say, they get time on the landing too and that's carpet. They love bombing up and down and binkying for about half an hour a day.

Im so sorry your buns have taken to nomming on their foam tiles! :roll: This is the only down fall i can think of with this flooring and fortunately, my 2 havent bothered, but i provide various other things for them to nibble at and reaplce them when they get a bit worn.

How have you used the foam? My 2 are on carpet apart from the foam that is in their base. I got extra tiles so i could place their pen on top and they had some overlap so that they didnt have obvious edges to tempt them. If that makes sense?! :?

Would it be possible to cover the foam in fleece? Maybe that would help deter them a little? Sorry i couldnt be much more help. The only other similar alternative would be lino, but for a bun that gets sore hocks, i would have thought youd need towels/fleece anyway.

for a bun that gets sore hocks, i would have thought youd need towels/fleece anyway.

My Mini has a tendency on one of her hind legs to get sore hocks. She dislocated the joint about 3 years ago and they had to break the joint and allow a new one to form so she is always going to be slightly out of kilter on that leg. The carpet rubbed away and made it very sore, not quite to the point of breaking skin and weeping because I managed to get the duvets down and this improved it greatly. Mischa also started to get them and then so did Nutmeg when I was attempting to bond the foursome in my room. Only Smudge didn't and he has a LOT of fur on his feet (he has a LOT of fur everywhere :lol:)

Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh yes, the four of them were on the lino for a while before I had to split to two pairs and all three affected started improving. Mini still has a bit of a pink patch on that affected leg but it's better and also stable. I check it every few weeks and look at it when she flops when I can and it's a lot lot better than it used to be.

I think there are two aspects. You have the need for something soft for them to sleep on when they are in loaf position so that the nails sink in and also the need for what they are on not to rub and wear away those guard hairs. I've also noticed since having the lino (textured stuff) that their nails no longer need cutting quite so regularly. It must be helping to keep them worn a bit more. And this is another thing that doesn't help, if the nails are long.

I mean for a rex I expect this would never be enough, but for my bunnies with what I guess one would call medium length fur on their feet it works well.

My Mini has a tendency on one of her hind legs to get sore hocks. She dislocated the joint about 3 years ago and they had to break the joint and allow a new one to form so she is always going to be slightly out of kilter on that leg. The carpet rubbed away and made it very sore, not quite to the point of breaking skin and weeping because I managed to get the duvets down and this improved it greatly. Mischa also started to get them and then so did Nutmeg when I was attempting to bond the foursome in my room. Only Smudge didn't and he has a LOT of fur on his feet (he has a LOT of fur everywhere :lol:)

Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh yes, the four of them were on the lino for a while before I had to split to two pairs and all three affected started improving. Mini still has a bit of a pink patch on that affected leg but it's better and also stable. I check it every few weeks and look at it when she flops when I can and it's a lot lot better than it used to be.

I think there are two aspects. You have the need for something soft for them to sleep on when they are in loaf position so that the nails sink in and also the need for what they are on not to rub and wear away those guard hairs. I've also noticed since having the lino (textured stuff) that their nails no longer need cutting quite so regularly. It must be helping to keep them worn a bit more. And this is another thing that doesn't help, if the nails are long.

I mean for a rex I expect this would never be enough, but for my bunnies with what I guess one would call medium length fur on their feet it works well.

Im not sure what to make of that thread :? Very sorry, im half asleep :roll:

I was just making an assumption, im just so glad that up to now the foam tiles are working well for me. I havent had any problems with sore hocks and i hope that they dont get any problems from the carpet! I didnt realise how common it was in other buns though, i thought it was mainly rexes! Ill keep a better eye on their feetsies from now on! :shock:

I see what your saying about their claws being able to sink in, i assume thats why my 2 prefer to stretch out on the carpet and their towel/fleece rather than the uncovered mats :thumb: Learn something new everyday! :)

Im not sure what to make of that thread :? Very sorry, im half asleep :roll:

I was just making an assumption, im just so glad that up to now the foam tiles are working well for me. I havent had any problems with sore hocks and i hope that they dont get any problems from the carpet! I didnt realise how common it was in other buns though, i thought it was mainly rexes! Ill keep a better eye on their feetsies from now on! :shock:

I see what your saying about their claws being able to sink in, i assume thats why my 2 prefer to stretch out on the carpet and their towel/fleece rather than the uncovered mats :thumb: Learn something new everyday! :)

Please don't think I was in any way disputing anything you've said. I guess I was just expanding a bit on what I've found personally.

Please don't think I was in any way disputing anything you've said. I guess I was just expanding a bit on what I've found personally.

:lol: okie doke :) i should really be going to sleep but i just cant turn off the laptop since i havent had a proper RU "sesh" for almost a week!! :shock:

Back