• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike prevention

BinkyBunneh

Warren Scout
Hi guys, my first post so please go easy on me!

I'm rescuing 2 buns soon and am completely new to rabbits, so thought about doing a bit of research. I have a question about somthing that really scares me during the summer time..flystrike:eek:

When should I treat them for it? Thanks! :)

Do some searches on here for flystrike and you should dig up lots of info.
You could also read this:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

In my opinion 'treating' for flystrike is unnecessary provided you follow good hygiene and take precautions. One of the easiest things to get right to prevent flystrike is to get bunny's diet right - no excesss caecotrophs or mucky bums, this significantly reduces the risk of attracting flies. Daily bottom checks/twice daily in very hot weather are a very good habit to get into.

The only rabbits which I would ever consider treating with an insecticide (flystrike treatment) are those who are elderly/disabled and unable to keep themselves clean regardless of all precautions taken.
You just don't want to be putting insecticides on rabbits unless you really need them.

:wave: Take a look at this thread and the links contained in it :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=224113&highlight=flystrike

My personal opinion is that the best way to minimise the risk of flystrike is to keep everything really clean and change litter trays daily, so there is nowhere for the flies to lay eggs. This includes the buns themselves so a high fibre diet to minimise the risk of sticky bums.

I personally would only use a product if my rabbits were at higher risk for some reason (e.g. weeping eyes or wet/sticky bum which had not been resolved through veterinary intervention), these are quite toxic chemicals so I wouldn't put them on my rabbits 'just in case', especially because some of them only work on the areas they are directly applied...and you're not supposed to directly apply to the genitals which is one of the areas most at risk! I think they lull you into a false sense of security.

But that's just my opinion and others will no doubt disagree :)

:wave: Welcome.

I agree with Prettylupin that the best thing is to get their diet right and regular bum checks (mine get between 2 - 6 a day in the summer :oops:)

The only time I use Rearguard is when I am going away and other people are looking after them. Rearguard last up to 8 weeks.

I also have flyscreen mesh over their wire, but you also have to be careful not to trap flies in.;)

I also have one of the re-chargable fly zappers which I can leave on in their shed.

:wave: Welcome.

I agree with Prettylupin that the best thing is to get their diet right and regular bum checks (mine get between 2 - 6 a day in the summer :oops:)

The only time I use Rearguard is when I am going away and other people are looking after them. Rearguard last up to 8 weeks.

I also have flyscreen mesh over their wire, but you also have to be careful not to trap flies in.;)

I also have one of the re-chargable fly zappers which I can leave on in their shed.

Oh my word you are highly efficient! :shock: I feel really bad now mine are lucky if they get one or two :oops:

Yes we have a blue light fly killer (no chemicals just light and it electrocutes mozzi's etc) in the bunny room and other rooms in the house. Mine are house buns but go out in summer.
There are all sorts of things you can do, as bunnybabe says - fit fly mesh to doors in summer etc. and yes rearguard for emergencies or boarding.
If you ever see or suspect flystrike in your rabbits you MUST get IMMEDIATE vet attention because bun will need emergency treatment. :wave:

Whoa, didn't expect to be bombarded with such info, will read the articles

I also agree with the fact that shops will just about try and flog anything to keep worried pet owners happy, when its not always necessary:roll:

Right, bum checks and clean hutch is pretty much it. It's impossible to leave anything dirty in the garden with my mum around, so should be easy do lol

Thanks for everyones contributions :D

A flyscreen over their hutch is always a good safety net to have too.

I got some mesh-type stuff from Homebase, cut it to size, and now I have this covering all the wire sections/doors on their hutch.

Flies can't get in unless their doors are open :D

Back