• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is cylap safe?

Sorry, another vhd question. :oops: I understand lapinject is a better vaccine than cylap but is cylap still safe? My vet only has cylap in and it will prob take a while to order some lapinject in especially as he's never heard of it. :roll: I would like my buns done today so cylap is going to be my only option. Yes i could find another vet but it's up to my parents whether we will go to another but my mum wants to know if cylap is safe?

There are a lot more reported side effects from Cylap than anything else. I would suggest using the search function and searching 'cylap' and reading what's there. That said, all mine have Cylap, but any rabbit under 1.7kg has a half dose.

There are a lot more reported side effects from Cylap than anything else. I would suggest using the search function and searching 'cylap' and reading what's there. That said, all mine have Cylap, but any rabbit under 1.7kg has a half dose.

Oh I didn't realise that, will make sure my vet does that when we take Oscar on Wednesday, if he uses Cylap

One of my buns had the cylap limp after the jab but was ok afterwards, that was just one occasion though. I'm glad my vets have changed to lapinject but I'd rather have cylap than nothing.

Oh I didn't realise that, will make sure my vet does that when we take Oscar on Wednesday, if he uses Cylap

That's not a standard thing, just what me and my vet decided to do with mine. I don't even know if he does that with other small rabbits but mine had a variety of reactions if they had a full dose and weighed less than 1.7kg, so we just played it safe.

That's not a standard thing, just what me and my vet decided to do with mine. I don't even know if he does that with other small rabbits but mine had a variety of reactions if they had a full dose and weighed less than 1.7kg, so we just played it safe.

Ah ok, I might still mention it to see what the vet thinks, because Oscar is only just 1kg and it's his first VHD vaccination

Thanks everyone :) Well decided not to go to that vet as they didn't give discount and only do cylap. So booked them in at a better vets, get £8 discount for 4 so costing me £72 altogether. Still expensive but what ever!! I love my bunnies! :love: Hopefully they will do lapinject but if not I know they will probably change as that's where we go for Mischief's teeth burring, other vets used clippers! :shock: They are up to date and really good so I hope they use lapinject!! Will find out today though as they are booked in. :wave:

Hope all goes well for you and the bunnies :) Beano had Cylap, it was before I had heard of rabbits having reactions to it and she was fine, no side affects at all. After reading about reactions though I'd much prefer my buns to have Lapinject.

Thanks everyone :) Well decided not to go to that vet as they didn't give discount and only do cylap. So booked them in at a better vets, get £8 discount for 4 so costing me £72 altogether. Still expensive but what ever!! I love my bunnies! :love: Hopefully they will do lapinject but if not I know they will probably change as that's where we go for Mischief's teeth burring, other vets used clippers! :shock: They are up to date and really good so I hope they use lapinject!! Will find out today though as they are booked in. :wave:

They will normally tell you over the phone and they can usually order things in fairly quickly.

Spenser had cylap. He was a bit out of sorts, and had a local reaction on the back of his neck - I think it bothered me more than him. He was back to normal within 48 hours and never completely off his food.

Pearl had cylap while she was ill and had no side effects, but the first time she had it she got some small scabs :? had i known she had an enlarged heart i would of refused any VHD vacc but i didnt know why she was poorly.

long way of saying, there are well known side effects and i doubt any vaccine is risk free but it didnt harm Pearl when she was most poorly :wave:

Back