• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Questions?

I asked my vet about VHD and they only use Cylap and I have heard this isn't as good?

So... which type of VHD vaccination should I ask for? Also, what is this all about with the different doses? Does it mean you have to keep going back for more injections in the same day? I'm totally confused :oops: Sorry for being so thick but I have to start asking somewhere! :D :lol:

It's once a year they need vaccinating though isn't it? :)

As I understand it...

Lapinet is in five dose vials which need to all be used in one day - you have four buns right? if you take all four they might be happy to do Lapinet for you, you'd have to ask.

Anivac is in one dose vials like Cylap and in a non-mineral oil base which helps reduce the side effects for bunny and also for vaccine giver in case they get themselves accidentally. My vet uses this one as standard now.

As I understand it...

Lapinet is in five dose vials which need to all be used in one day - you have four buns right? if you take all four they might be happy to do Lapinet for you, you'd have to ask.

Anivac is in one dose vials like Cylap and in a non-mineral oil base which helps reduce the side effects for bunny and also for vaccine giver in case they get themselves accidentally. My vet uses this one as standard now.

Ah right, thanks I understand. :D Yep I have 4 buns :) So would one dose get wasted if I had my 4 done for lapinject?

I have two rabbits and my vet said the Lapinject was no more expensive than the cylap would have been. My vets no longer use cylap due to the side effects.

I think it depends on how well they organise their vaccinations. If they are primarily a cat/dog surgery then maybe they only get one vaccination a day and they might end up wasting 4 of the 5 doses but if they organise a few vaccinations on one day then they don't.

Back