PDA

View Full Version : VHD Vac, do you vaccinate against it?

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
21-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Ok before anyone has a go at me, I AM GETTING my 4 vaccinated against it. :) Yes I have had my rabbits a year, they are vaccinated against myxi but not VHD as I heard it was a rare disease here in West Yorkshire? :? Is it because I doubt it is?? However, after reading all the fantastic info on here, I don't want to take any chances, so I am getting all 4 of my buns vacc'd. :) I was just wondering how many of you vaccinate against it?

A friend of mine has a rabbit and she says vaccinations are a waste of money. :? She has a nethie and he has a tiny hutch, I asked if he has a run, no because he has one under his run... ok yes he can get to the grass but it's only about 3ft long. :roll: She thinks that because he's a small bunny, he doesn't need much room and she wont consider getting him a friend because she doesn't want one, poor bun. :( My friend also thinks vaccinations are pointless. She says she doesn't know of any buns getting diseases and getting vaccinated. It made me think that many people have bunnies not vaccinated and they never hear of these diseases. :shock: Is VHD as common because I don't hear of many cases of it? (thank goodness)

So, do you vaccinate against it or not see the point? As I said, I am getting mine vacc'd as better safe than sorry! Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were? :wave:

Elena
21-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Apparently VHD kills so quickly vets don't tend to see them because the rabbit is already dead. So they may say it's not in that area cos they never see it but that may be cos the owner doesn't bother bringing them in to the surgery cos they are already dead. I've also heard someone (actually I think it was my vet) on here saying about the screams of a rabbit dying from VHD which is something I don't EVER EVER want to experience.

21-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Apparently VHD kills so quickly vets don't tend to see them because the rabbit is already dead. So they may say it's not in that area cos they never see it but that may be cos the owner doesn't bother bringing them in to the surgery cos they are already dead. I've also heard someone (actually I think it was my vet) on here saying about the screams of a rabbit dying from VHD which is something I don't EVER EVER want to experience.

Oh my gosh that's awful :cry:

bunny babe
21-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Yep, all mine get myxi jabs twice a year and VHD jab once a year.

Elena
21-01-2011, 10:32 PM
This is the post...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4074126#post4074126

Some of the worst rabbit screams I have heard have come from VHD infected rabbits.

Angela lou
21-01-2011, 10:33 PM
mine are all done :)

21-01-2011, 10:35 PM
This is the post...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4074126#post4074126

Oh my gosh, just reading that has brought tears to my eyes. :cry: I'm booking them in ASAP. Thanks for showing me that, I was going to get them done in a few weeks but I'm not going to wait that long. :shock:

Sky-O
21-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't not. But I don't get the ones done that are too ill to cope with it. 15 of my 17 are vaccinated.

Biscuit's Mum!
21-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Absolutely. Whatever vaccs are available I do. I worm regularly too.

rabbitapril
21-01-2011, 10:38 PM
A few years ago I thought Vhd vaccs were just another way of vets to get money out of us until two of my beloved buns died within two days of each other.
Post mortem proved they had died because of vhd. I will never forgive myself, please anyone dont make the same mistake.

Elena
21-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh my gosh, just reading that has brought tears to my eyes. :cry: I'm booking them in ASAP. Thanks for showing me that, I was going to get them done in a few weeks but I'm not going to wait that long. :shock:

I'm sorry if I've upset you *hugs* I was similar last year in that I thought Smudge was due with the other three. Imagine my horror when I looked at my spreadsheet and saw he wasn't :shock: Fortunately it was only a few days past his due date so was able to get him done asap and not be too far out.

bunnytoes
21-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I voted no but we don't have any vaccinations for rabbits here.

21-01-2011, 10:41 PM
A few years ago I thought Vhd vaccs were just another way of vets to get money out of us until two of my beloved buns died within two days of each other.
Post mortem proved they had died because of vhd. I will never forgive myself, please anyone dont make the same mistake.

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: I have spoken to my vet and she says yes we should get them done in the area. Schuette you're probably right about there being un known cases due to rabbits just dying from it and not going to the vet.

21-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry if I've upset you *hugs* I was similar last year in that I thought Smudge was due with the other three. Imagine my horror when I looked at my spreadsheet and saw he wasn't :shock: Fortunately it was only a few days past his due date so was able to get him done asap and not be too far out.

It's ok :) You've helped me understand that I need my bunnies vaccinated against it now. I don't want to risk their precious lives. :love:

Alicia
21-01-2011, 10:47 PM
When I get my rabbits I plan to vaccinate them both. I worry about my pets so much so it would make me feel a lot better if I knew the rabbits had the vaccinations :)

newbabybuns
21-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I havn't in the past, but I was a lot younger then so didn't really cross my mind :oops:. I was planning to get my 3 done next month, before they get spayed, and then put outside a couple of months later, (weather dependant!) I've just had my bank hacked though (not via the Lush thing) which has wiped out the money for it, and seem to be going round in circles of who is going to pay the money back! I'll get it back from one of them I'm sure, just a case of when!

We have a lot of wildlife visit our garden like squirrels who I guess could carry nasty parasites, and then there's the dreaded mozzies so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ETA: I've got overtime for work next week, so that can pay for them :D

21-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Can I ask a question about the vaccination? Does it protect the bun 100% or just give them a better chance of not catching the disease? I know some buns with the myxi vaccination can still get myxi, I wondered if it's the same for VHD? :wave:

Elena
21-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Can I ask a question about the vaccination? Does it protect the bun 100% or just give them a better chance of not catching the disease? I know some buns with the myxi vaccination can still get myxi, I wondered if it's the same for VHD? :wave:

I think with VHD it eradicates the possibility of it entirely but I'm not totally sure.

Liz47
21-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes, as you've said best not to risk it. I hadn't heard of it before my vet told me about it when I got Beano but I know a few people who's rabbits have died unexplainably, possibly VHD. I think if rabbits are vaccinated there's no chance of them catching it.

tiger_lily
21-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm getting Oscar done next week (had Myxi last week). Took so long to get around to doing it because we were messing about finding a vets then going home for christmas and coming back, so didn't have the two weeks for both vaccinations

I did speak to someone who kept rabbits indoors, and said she was recommended by her vet not to get them vaccinated?

XMissySJx
21-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I think its very common in my area, when Jellys babies found homes (were talking four years ago now before i knew about rescues) , the four that went to people who stopped vaccinating after the first one...died. the four that are still regulary vaccinated inc my Domino, are all alive. coincidence, i think not seeing as they were all just found dead.

i am in a tricky situation because my vet only does Cylap and Pebbles had a nasty reaction to it, so im hoping to find another local vet who will give her Lapinject, if its not too much more ill get all three lapinjected but i dont know of any local that do it.

Liz47
22-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I feel as though my rabbits are safe when they're vaccinated. My vet gave Beano Cylap last time (she is young so has only had one) and never had any reaction to it but I'm worried now I've read it. It says on my rescue bun Gordon's health certificate he had Lapinject so can I ask my vet to change Beano to Lapinject? Do you think they do both? Sorry, I don't want to 'steal' the thread! I'm pleased you are getting your bunnies vaccinated, I think it is very important :)

Elena
22-01-2011, 12:43 AM
I think its very common in my area, when Jellys babies found homes (were talking four years ago now before i knew about rescues) , the four that went to people who stopped vaccinating after the first one...died. the four that are still regulary vaccinated inc my Domino, are all alive. coincidence, i think not seeing as they were all just found dead.

i am in a tricky situation because my vet only does Cylap and Pebbles had a nasty reaction to it, so im hoping to find another local vet who will give her Lapinject, if its not too much more ill get all three lapinjected but i dont know of any local that do it.

I don't know where in Essex you are but I expect Trinity is too far isn't it. Plus the bridge toll each way :evil:

XMissySJx
22-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't know where in Essex you are but I expect Trinity is too far isn't it. Plus the bridge toll each way :evil:

Yeh i can only really do local which is like Maldon, Witham, Tiptree etc. going to have a ring round when its nearer the time, i will still do cylap if i absolutely have to but would rather not. x

Elena
22-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Yeh i can only really do local which is like Maldon, Witham, Tiptree etc. going to have a ring round when its nearer the time, i will still do cylap if i absolutely have to but would rather not. x

Oh gosh yeah, you're a loooong way from the bridge. I always think of this side of Essex cos it's where my Dad comes from :oops: I can totally understand that with Cylap.

loppy ears
22-01-2011, 12:56 AM
I do, my vet has not seen a case for many years and thinks it is low risk however for me low risk does not mean no risk which is why I take my buns for vaccinations.

XMissySJx
22-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Oh gosh yeah, you're a loooong way from the bridge. I always think of this side of Essex cos it's where my Dad comes from :oops: I can totally understand that with Cylap.

it is big, i only know my little bubble ! :lol::lol:

I wouldnt want her to suffer with side effects especially the losing fur and balding but im not going to not vacc her, so ill just have to hope somewhere local will do it.

Amethyst
22-01-2011, 03:48 AM
Yes.

Regarding your friend, it might be an idea to get a quick letter from your vet explaining why VHD/Myxi vaccines are so important, and/or a leaflet from the RWF about basic rabbit care (vaccines, friends, hutch/run sizes, diet etc.). It may be that your friend isn't taking you seriously but if it came from a "higher authority" as it were she might take a bit of notice. Of course, she might not, but it's worth a try, right? :)

AMETHYST

thumps_
22-01-2011, 04:10 AM
I have mine vaccinated yearly, until last year when he was far too ill to cope with VHD, & we only just fitted the myxi in.
There is a new type of VHD vaccine, Anivac. It isn't in a mineral oil suspension, so theoretically there could be fewer side effects.
Yes it should give complete protection.

Although the myxi vaccine doesn't give complete protection, 9 out of 10 buns who get myxi die if they don't get vaccinated; whereas only 1 out of 10 dies if they are vaccinated.

Jack's-Jane
22-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Yes, if the individual Rabbit is healthy and there ae no other contraindications to vaccinating.

lucyj
22-01-2011, 07:29 AM
When I first went to my vets with my buns, she only advised myxi vaccs. I said that I had read on here that they should have VHD vaccs also, and she said that it would be a waste as "the disease was virtually unheard of in Scotland, its more prevelant in England", but I persisted and said I wanted it done anyway. 2 years later, and they issued leaflets advising VHD vaccs as there had been local cases. So I think the problem is that vets give misinformation. Personally, although there hasnt been cases locally that they know off, Id rather shut the barn door before the horse bolts...

Jack's-Jane
22-01-2011, 07:40 AM
My Vet has NEVER seen a case of VHD in clinical practice. BUT she always advises vaccination as she knows that the reason she has not seen a case is because most afflicted Rabbits have a 'sudden death' and the owners dont opt for a PM.

So just because your Vet may not see any/many cases of VHD does NOT mean that it isn't about. It is and it kills, usually within a few hours and in an awful way :cry:

LoopyLouie
22-01-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm in West Yorkshire and I've always been advised to have both myxi and VHD vaccs.

My vet has also changed from cylap to lapinject over the last couple of years too so all good :)

BB Mommy
22-01-2011, 07:47 AM
I always vaccinate healthy rabbits against VHD. Those that have ill health are not done, because their immune system is already generally low and the vaccine (partic. the VHD) pushes their immunity even further.

The case was proved when we had an outbreak at Hopper Haven, and we HAD to get all the poorly rabbits vaccinated, as it was a gamble between then contracting VHD or falling foul to the vaccine.
We lost several buns post-VHD:cry:

I also had to get 3 of my own rabbits quickly vaccinated (in case I carried the disease home), and these were the 3 I had chosen not to vaccinate because of their health issues.

All 3 of them were very poorly post-VHD, and they all required months of veterinary care (2 of them still do)

All of the healthy rabbits showed no signs of any problems with the vaccs.

Wuezybun
22-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I always vaccinate my rabbits who are healthy. I do think they are sometimes a little subdued after their Vhd jab whereas they seem as active as normal with the myxi one. Nothing scientific, just what I've observed.

Kittykat23uk
22-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I always vaccinate my rabbits who are healthy. I do think they are sometimes a little subdued after their Vhd jab whereas they seem as active as normal with the myxi one. Nothing scientific, just what I've observed.

I've observed the same thing. I always vaccinate against both diseases.

susie bun
22-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Spenser has had the vaccine. He was off colour after it, but not to the extent of needing further veterinary treatment, and I will get him vaccinated again in May.

happysaz133
22-01-2011, 06:36 PM
No I don't and never have. My vet recommends against it, I trust her :) plus, I hate having vaccinations done.

Bindi
22-01-2011, 06:47 PM
My elderly cat has been ill recently (thyroid problems, teeth removed etc) and his treatment had to come first before preventatives, so the buns haven't had their jabs for some time. Oren had his myxi today (VHD in two weeks) but Bandit wasn't vaccinated, the vet will assess her again in two weeks to see if she should be done or not. With the exception of the duration of the cat's treatment, ever since I've been told enough to pay for the vaccinations, the buns have had them.

donnamt
22-01-2011, 06:49 PM
my old vet had a VHD outbreak to deal with because the owner of 20 odd buns didnt have the money or didnt want to waste money vaccinating... after alot of heartbreak only two bunnies were saved :cry:

my vet wouldn't of allowed me not to vaccinate after she witnessed what happens when you don't.

that was in the Midlands last year if anyone around there hasn't vaccinated recently, VHD is very much alive there :wave:

Stephy
22-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Yep, always have done, they all get done yearly :wave:

antigone
22-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes, I vaccinate. I would never forgive myself if my bunnies died from something I could have prevented.

Rexbun
22-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes, I vaccinate. I would never forgive myself if my bunnies died from something I could have prevented.

Agree with this, I couldn't take the risk of not vaccinating them. If they weren't vaccinated and I lost them suddenly, would always wonder what if it was VHD

NickieM
22-01-2011, 11:50 PM
My vet usually uses Cylap for their VHD jabs, but because of all the bad publicity and the company recently updating their information sheet to say that 50% of rabbits might experience side effects, I decided not to use it again.

I asked my vets to order in Anivac and both rabbits were vaccinated with that last week. Neither of them have had an problems or lumps and both are just fine. The vaccination was the same price as it would be using Cylap.

I had considered using Lapinject, but it comes in one big vial for five injections, meaning that I would have to pay for five jabs for only two buns. Anivac comes in individual vials so you only pay for what you use. And because it isn't in a mineral oil carrier, it is safer for the vet to administer. Win win all round.

mini lop1
23-01-2011, 11:03 AM
vaccinated against both vhd and myxi

William
23-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I haven't voted since I don't want to skew the results (no VHD/myxi in US) but I'm wondering who's voted no? For compromised bunnies or for people that live in places where there isn't any?