• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Vac, do you vaccinate against it?

Do you vaccinate against VHD?

• Yes

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Ok before anyone has a go at me, I AM GETTING my 4 vaccinated against it. :) Yes I have had my rabbits a year, they are vaccinated against myxi but not VHD as I heard it was a rare disease here in West Yorkshire? :? Is it because I doubt it is?? However, after reading all the fantastic info on here, I don't want to take any chances, so I am getting all 4 of my buns vacc'd. :) I was just wondering how many of you vaccinate against it?

A friend of mine has a rabbit and she says vaccinations are a waste of money. :? She has a nethie and he has a tiny hutch, I asked if he has a run, no because he has one under his run... ok yes he can get to the grass but it's only about 3ft long. :roll: She thinks that because he's a small bunny, he doesn't need much room and she wont consider getting him a friend because she doesn't want one, poor bun. :( My friend also thinks vaccinations are pointless. She says she doesn't know of any buns getting diseases and getting vaccinated. It made me think that many people have bunnies not vaccinated and they never hear of these diseases. :shock: Is VHD as common because I don't hear of many cases of it? (thank goodness)

So, do you vaccinate against it or not see the point? As I said, I am getting mine vacc'd as better safe than sorry! Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were? :wave:

Last edited:
Apparently VHD kills so quickly vets don't tend to see them because the rabbit is already dead. So they may say it's not in that area cos they never see it but that may be cos the owner doesn't bother bringing them in to the surgery cos they are already dead. I've also heard someone (actually I think it was my vet) on here saying about the screams of a rabbit dying from VHD which is something I don't EVER EVER want to experience.

Apparently VHD kills so quickly vets don't tend to see them because the rabbit is already dead. So they may say it's not in that area cos they never see it but that may be cos the owner doesn't bother bringing them in to the surgery cos they are already dead. I've also heard someone (actually I think it was my vet) on here saying about the screams of a rabbit dying from VHD which is something I don't EVER EVER want to experience.

Oh my gosh that's awful :cry:

Wouldn't not. But I don't get the ones done that are too ill to cope with it. 15 of my 17 are vaccinated.

A few years ago I thought Vhd vaccs were just another way of vets to get money out of us until two of my beloved buns died within two days of each other.
Post mortem proved they had died because of vhd. I will never forgive myself, please anyone dont make the same mistake.

Oh my gosh, just reading that has brought tears to my eyes. :cry: I'm booking them in ASAP. Thanks for showing me that, I was going to get them done in a few weeks but I'm not going to wait that long. :shock:

I'm sorry if I've upset you *hugs* I was similar last year in that I thought Smudge was due with the other three. Imagine my horror when I looked at my spreadsheet and saw he wasn't :shock: Fortunately it was only a few days past his due date so was able to get him done asap and not be too far out.

A few years ago I thought Vhd vaccs were just another way of vets to get money out of us until two of my beloved buns died within two days of each other.
Post mortem proved they had died because of vhd. I will never forgive myself, please anyone dont make the same mistake.

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: I have spoken to my vet and she says yes we should get them done in the area. Schuette you're probably right about there being un known cases due to rabbits just dying from it and not going to the vet.

I'm sorry if I've upset you *hugs* I was similar last year in that I thought Smudge was due with the other three. Imagine my horror when I looked at my spreadsheet and saw he wasn't :shock: Fortunately it was only a few days past his due date so was able to get him done asap and not be too far out.

It's ok :) You've helped me understand that I need my bunnies vaccinated against it now. I don't want to risk their precious lives. :love:

When I get my rabbits I plan to vaccinate them both. I worry about my pets so much so it would make me feel a lot better if I knew the rabbits had the vaccinations :)

I havn't in the past, but I was a lot younger then so didn't really cross my mind :oops:. I was planning to get my 3 done next month, before they get spayed, and then put outside a couple of months later, (weather dependant!) I've just had my bank hacked though (not via the Lush thing) which has wiped out the money for it, and seem to be going round in circles of who is going to pay the money back! I'll get it back from one of them I'm sure, just a case of when!

We have a lot of wildlife visit our garden like squirrels who I guess could carry nasty parasites, and then there's the dreaded mozzies so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ETA: I've got overtime for work next week, so that can pay for them :D

Last edited:
Can I ask a question about the vaccination? Does it protect the bun 100% or just give them a better chance of not catching the disease? I know some buns with the myxi vaccination can still get myxi, I wondered if it's the same for VHD? :wave:

Can I ask a question about the vaccination? Does it protect the bun 100% or just give them a better chance of not catching the disease? I know some buns with the myxi vaccination can still get myxi, I wondered if it's the same for VHD? :wave:

I think with VHD it eradicates the possibility of it entirely but I'm not totally sure.

Yes, as you've said best not to risk it. I hadn't heard of it before my vet told me about it when I got Beano but I know a few people who's rabbits have died unexplainably, possibly VHD. I think if rabbits are vaccinated there's no chance of them catching it.

I'm getting Oscar done next week (had Myxi last week). Took so long to get around to doing it because we were messing about finding a vets then going home for christmas and coming back, so didn't have the two weeks for both vaccinations

I did speak to someone who kept rabbits indoors, and said she was recommended by her vet not to get them vaccinated?

Back