• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

well i wasnt expecting that

Rabbitfantothemax

Warren Scout
One of are rabbits who claims to be my sisters had been doing this thing with her head and was not eating. My Dad put her on her back in his arm and her teeth looked quite long so we rang the vet and told the vet what was the problem. We took her to the vet this evening and she actually had something called parasites. It effects her brain which makes her tilt and weirdly move her head and wont eat. She came into the house and gave her some special paste medicine into her mouth. We also had to feed her threw a syringe. The thing is she could die..... hope shes ok

One of are rabbits who claims to be my sisters had been doing this thing with her head and was not eating. My Dad put her on her back in his arm and her teeth looked quite long so we rang the vet and told the vet what was the problem. We took her to the vet this evening and she actually had something called parasites. It effects her brain which makes her tilt and weirdly move her head and wont eat. She came into the house and gave her some special paste medicine into her mouth. We also had to feed her threw a syringe. The thing is she could die..... hope shes ok

Sounds like she had E.Cuniculi, if you have a look round here you'll see loads of threads on it, I guess you have medicine called panacur for her? Rabbits can recover so don't lose hope .

Can you keep her inside tonight, As she's ill she may have trouble keeping warm, it's going to be cold tonight! Syringe feed her little and often, and tempt her with her favorite foods often. If she's still not eating on the morning I'd take her back and ask for some gut stimulant, it's really important she starts eating.

Can you keep her inside tonight, As she's ill she may have trouble keeping warm, it's going to be cold tonight! Syringe feed her little and often, and tempt her with her favorite foods often. If she's still not eating on the morning I'd take her back and ask for some gut stimulant, it's really important she starts eating.

thanks um we might I think we might have guy syimulant already

Oh good that should help her, did the vet sort her teeth out?

Is she used to eating greens or carrots? I find buns tend to eat these first, but only of she's had them before.

she doesnt like salad only carrot really she said if it gets bad she is but they need to put her under anasthetic and on mondayy earlyish but thats all really

Has she also received an anti inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam ?

If she is not eating or drinking for herself you will need to syringe feed/hydrate her. Did the Vet explain this to you and give you some Critical Care or Science Recovery to make up into a liquid feed ?

If she is not eating or drinking for herself you will need to syringe feed/hydrate her. Did the Vet explain this to you and give you some Critical Care or Science Recovery to make up into a liquid feed ?

she gave me some liquid feed im not sure cant remember what it is called pleased it is the weekend tomorrow so i can look after her

hope shes ok

I'm not expert but in my experience with Mischa it might also be an ear infection so is she on abx?

And to give you hope Mischa went from this... (and us being told he might need to be PTS)

IMGP4365-vi.jpg

to this... (with bags of energy and playfulness)

_IGP0908-vi.jpg

It's very difficult to watch though and takes a lot of effort to help nurse them back to health. I'd definitely bring her in. She may have trouble standing as well as eating and drinking. Small in this instance may be better so an indoor cage with rolled towels to give her something to rest on may be the best thing for her.

Sorry to hear your bun is going through what appears to be EC :( but just to add to the hope, if you keep fighting it, your bun can recover, but be prepared for a long battle as it can go on for weeks.

Here's some more hope for you though (you may need it to keep you going through the worst of it) Lily went from this:-

during1.jpg

...through this...

during2.jpg

...eventually back to this :wave:

after1.jpg

Ahh all the pictures are so cute. Thankyou for all your advice. I went to her this morning and she had ate a little and drank a little. Yesterday she had a bit balance loss it was a bit better today. She had her medicine. My sister got scratched because shes really sensitive around her mouth. I am going to have to bring her in every evening because i can just sit her down aand enject her. Any tips for the medicine side?

Back