• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shutting our Doors

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I can't do it any more

I can't cope with the responsibility of playing life and death with such innocent, beautiful creatures every day. Who am I to play God with their lives, what if I am making mistakes, there is no turning back once I've made that decision.

It is harder enough when you know they are ill and their time is limited, but still you have to decide - is today the day. Do they want more time or are they suffering? But when you have nothing to go on and you still have to decided whether to end their lives......like I did today :cry: We would never let a bunny suffer and always put their well being above our needs, we want them to leave with dignity every time, but what if my judgement is wrong just once? I can't undo that :(

We decided a while back to have a break from taking bunnies in, and did cut back a lot. Toby was our last new bunny at the beginning of November and we only took him in because we were approached about him a lot earlier but it took awhile to rescue him. After the struggle in the snow we decided we were cutting back numbers permanently, but its not enough, we have to close our doors to new bunnies for good :( I cannot take in another sick bunny and look him in the eyes and know that in the next week or month/s I will be responsible for ending his life :cry: In the past 2 years we have lost 55 bunnies - thats more than 1 every 2 weeks for 2 years solid. And every day in between that I have to look at them all and decided today is not the day.

We still have 36 wonderful sanctuary bunnies who I will continue to love and care for.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us in the past and I hope you continue to support us while we care for the special bunnies who already share our lives xx

I don't know what to say Liz. :cry:

I feel for you - I really, really do. I hold my hands up too - I couldn't do what you do. The emotional toll caring for these bunnies and then losing them must be terrible.

However; it must be said that without your care most of the rabbits you have wouldn't have had a life at all. You have given the buns' in your care a real chance at having as normal a life as possible - please don't forget that. :love:

Tons and tons of hugs to you xx

Thinking of you very much. x

You have done and do such an amazing job Liz and Steve. I don't know that I could put myself through what you have over the last few years. Poorly bunnies test our stress levels to the umpteenth degree and by golly you have had some very poorly bunnies. You have made a huge difference to many bunnies lives, you truly are two special people. Sending you both lots of love and hugs.:wave:

((((hugs)))) Yes you have had to make those decisions but you have helped lots of bun who without you would have had an awful existence or worse. You have also given them more love than they probably experienced in their lives before. The buns were destined to meet you be looked after by you for a reason. I am not a religious person but I do believe in fate and destiny and if closing your doors now is right for you it is because you are being guided that way, because your work is done it is time to hand over and reflect on great work you have done and the lives of the buns you have enriched.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX from all the buns you have helped :love::love::love:

You poor thing! You have helped so many bunnies and I am so glad they all found you! Thinking of you and your poor heart losing that many bunnies.:cry:

If you need to do this, then you need to do it. Over the past few months we have lost quite a few animals ourselves and I know how soul destroying and draining it is. The one thing that helps keep me afloat for now, is that they would already be dead before we took them and they got 'hopefuly' a few happy times with us. We too worry we have let them go too soon, but ultimately it doesn't matter to them, they have had love and care ( sometimes for the first time in their lives) and do not know what is happening to them when they go into the vet for their final journey. It is better to make the decision than leave them to suffer. You have had a lot more losses than us, due to the animals you take in compared to us, but I can understand how you feel.
I hope you feel better soon and I know the ones in your care will have happy lives no matter how long they are.

Last edited:
oh liz:(
i can only imaging the stress that you are both under. you are amazing to have looked after and loved so many poor wee souls.

thoughts xxxxx

So sorry to read that the wonderful work you do has taken such a toll, it really isn't surprising with the severely ill ones you've been caring for.

I'm sure you haven't ever made any mistakes in the judgements you make, the way you understand each character and their needs is very clear.

Even if you don't take any more on ever, you have made a difference - a real difference, not all of us can say that. Don't in any part feel bad about closing the doors, having them open in the first place was very, very special.

Oh Liz Im so sorry you have had such a tough day. I completely understand your decision, the work you do is amazing and I genuinely dont know how you cope with making such hard choices

Please dont look on it as ending their lives, for most if not all you have prolonged them and shown them love and care that they wouldnt otherwise have had. All your buns whether they have been with you for a few days or years have been very lucky and, if they could talk Im sure they would say they were very grateful to you

As others have said, don't look on it as choosing to end their lives, first don't focus on that part of it, focus on choosing to take on sick bunnies, choosing to put their needs before your own, choosing to give them some happy time, knowing love. Second, we all have total faith in your judgement, especially at times like today when you lose faith in yourself. You would only ever do what was right for each bun, and I truly believe, no matter how much you doubt yourself, you truly know your bunnies, and know what they need, even if that is pts. I know it must be hard, and I think you're letting that cloud your judgement. You know you did the right thing today.

However, I completely support your decision, and wouldn't even contemplate trying to talk you round. I think you have done amazing work for bunnies, especially given your physical illness and Steve's mental illness. There are plenty of able-bodied people who wouldn't do half what you two have done for bunnies. No doubt you will focus on the bunnies you won't now save...but you must focus on all the good you have done. There has to be a time when enough is enough. And quite apart from saving yourselves the emotional heartache, you owe it to your remaining bunnies to give them your all, and I don't think you could continue to do that and continue to go through the continuing emotional burden you have faced the last two years.

Thank you for everything you have done for all the bunnies who have been in your care, and for those who continue to live their final days with you now. I will continue to support your selfless work for as long as you have sanctuary bunnies still needing your love and care.

You have saved and given the gift of love and happiness to so many rabbits who would not have had that chance without you. Thank you so much Liz and Steve for everything xx

Thank you for your kind words.

It was focusing on the good we were doing and love that we were giving them that has kept us going this long, but when such difficult decisions need to be continually made it gets to a point when you cannot focus on anything else.

We have looked after special bunnies for many years, but it is only in the last 2 years that we seem to have ended up with so many terminally ill bunnies. It was never a conscious decision to take on these bunnies its just the way the sanctuary grew on its own. I don't regret looking after a single on of those bunnies, no matter how short their time, but instead of getting easier to let them go it gets harder because each and every bunny takes a little piece of me with them.

I love the bunnies we have here at the moment, they are my very special family and now that is all that I need :love:

Sending you massive hugs Liz, I can't imagine the heartbreak and stress you both face looking after poorly bunnies. The commitment and care you show all your bunnies is amazing and they are so lucky to have you and Steve xx

Liz, I've often wondered how you and Steve manage with all the heartache; it's no wonder you're feeling like you do.

I'm sorry you are at breaking point, but admire you both for striving so hard, and for so long, when many of us would probably have given up long before.

Huge hugs to you both; you will have my full support always. :love:

I don't have much to say, actually, maybe I do.

I hear your self doubt and can definitely get why you feel that way. Even though I have a huge amount less of special needs and ill rabbits, when you're their advocate and trying do what's best for them, it can be incredibly difficult. You're always questioning and cross questioning yourself.

That said, you know how important my rabbits are to me (be those my own or those that pass through my doors) and it takes a lot for me to trust anyone enough to ask them to take on any of my bunnies. There has not been one vulnerable bunny that has arrived at my house, and then left to go onto a new home, Summer, Roger, Tilly, Autumn, Rosie and finally Wish all stayed because I couldn't trust anyone enought to look after them.

When I approached you to ask about my foster/s I had to think long and hard and realised that I do trust you. I believe that you always do what you feel is best and you will fight for whatever that is. You're also vigilant and educated, smart and in tune with bunnies.

Whilst you may cross question and doubt yourself, I don't. I don't think words will describe the respect I have for you both, but maybe you hearing the fact that I approached you to take on vulnerable bunnies and that none have ever arrived and then left, if vulnerable, shows you how highly I rate you.

I do totally respect your decision and would never counter it. I think you're awesome whether you take in any more bunnies or not. Just know that I personally rate you highly.

I hope you do manage to enjoy the time you have with your current bunnies and that you can find enjoyment in bunnies generally again.

(not sure whether all that should have gone to you via PM or not)

Letting them go a day too early is better than a day too late, and being able to choose that day makes you amazing for many different reasons.

It's not surprising what you do has taken it's toll :(

I hope you can enjoy your time with family as it is now.

Last edited:
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said by others, it's an inspiration and a display of great strength how much you've helped every little soul that came through your doors :) I know you say they take part of you with thrm, but many of us wouldn't have that strength to begin with ((hugs))

I don't have much to say, actually, maybe I do.

I hear your self doubt and can definitely get why you feel that way. Even though I have a huge amount less of special needs and ill rabbits, when you're their advocate and trying do what's best for them, it can be incredibly difficult. You're always questioning and cross questioning yourself.

That said, you know how important my rabbits are to me (be those my own or those that pass through my doors) and it takes a lot for me to trust anyone enough to ask them to take on any of my bunnies. There has not been one vulnerable bunny that has arrived at my house, and then left to go onto a new home, Summer, Roger, Tilly, Autumn, Rosie and finally Wish all stayed because I couldn't trust anyone enought to look after them.

When I approached you to ask about my foster/s I had to think long and hard and realised that I do trust you. I believe that you always do what you feel is best and you will fight for whatever that is. You're also vigilant and educated, smart and in tune with bunnies.

Whilst you may cross question and doubt yourself, I don't. I don't think words will describe the respect I have for you both, but maybe you hearing the fact that I approached you to take on vulnerable bunnies and that none have ever arrived and then left, if vulnerable, shows you how highly I rate you.

I do totally respect your decision and would never counter it. I think you're awesome whether you take in any more bunnies or not. Just know that I personally rate you highly.

I hope you do manage to enjoy the time you have with your current bunnies and that you can find enjoyment in bunnies generally again.

(not sure whether all that should have gone to you via PM or not)
No I think it was lovely just the way it was

Back