• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm not sure what to use in my rabbits hutch. I already have 4 guinea-pig hutches so I'm trying to reduce the amount of waste from the hutches, so I have 3 of my hutches on vetbed, although I'd rather not put the rabbits on vetbed. I've heard about lino, is that just put in the hutch and they can just run around on that. I'd be worried it wouldn't be warm enough for outdoor rabbits? I could put lots of hay on top but would that be ok? Or what bedding would you suggest?

Lots of people line the hutches with lino, as it makes them so easy to clean :)

Base of lino, then fleecey blankets and lots of hay i think seems to be quite common :)

I don't cover my lino with anything, I just have multiple litter trays with hay, auboise etc. This way they only toilet in the trays, not the whole hutch and its easy to clean.

Thank you for the help, I spoke to Dad about it and he said we can try lino in the rabbit hutch because he doesn't really want anymore bedding in the bin because we run out of room in the bin. I'm still worried they'd be cold though. The 2 rabbits I'm hoping to adopt, one of them really likes plastic dog beds so I've got one of them for him but is there anything else I can give them to keep them warm? I'll put lots of hay in too :)

Sorry to be dumb but what do you mean fleecey blankets? Do I just use them as a bedding, so cover the hutch floor with fleece? Or just in parts of the hutch?

This is how I use fleecy blankets!

In the hutch (gets straw/hay on top):
5214438813_366dc3c2ab.jpg

In the run (24/7 access):
5215039170_81e94c139c.jpg

i put cardboard on the floor of the hutch as it holds warmth in, then i put shavings over it and then straw/hay. and in the shed i have lino which Buddy hated so i bought a washable rug to put over it. :roll:
but my 3 are litter trained as well so very little waste as i just empty the tray twice a day.
thats just through winter though as well. they don't have half as much in the warmer months. :)

I like Tracy's blankets over in Things For Sale. Cos they are padded they are a lot harder for the buns to move around and twist and fold and generally unstraighten. They are also lovely and padded and all mine seem to like them and not wee on them (unlike towels).

If the rabbits were litter trained, would I need to put newspaper underneath the fleece or not? And how often do you think I'd need to change the fleece if they were litter trained? Sorry for so many questions

If the rabbits were litter trained, would I need to put newspaper underneath the fleece or not? And how often do you think I'd need to change the fleece if they were litter trained? Sorry for so many questions

For me personally if it was on something like lino or paving slabs then I wouldn't bother and just change then regularly. If on carpet then yes I'd put something underneath, probably a tarp.

If they are litter trained they may still wee on them sometimes. I find my lionheads will wee on towels and thin blankets, but those padded ones they don't wee on. I don't know why cos if I put a duvet down they would wee on that. :roll::lol: My lops are pretty good now and rarely wee on duvets or anywhere bar their litter tray. :thumb:

I've read on a few other rabbit websites that using fleece isn't great because rabbits are likely to chew it? Is this right? I'd really like a bedding that I don't have to throw away so the blankets does sound good I just wanted to check if it was ok for them.

I've read on a few other rabbit websites that using fleece isn't great because rabbits are likely to chew it? Is this right? I'd really like a bedding that I don't have to throw away so the blankets does sound good I just wanted to check if it was ok for them.

It depends on the rabbits. Some are chewers and yes then it's best to avoid. Mine do chew them a little bit but nowhere near enough to be an issue to them.

Back