• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Steamer

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I saw some info on the net about making a hay steamer for horses using a bin and wallpaper stripper - do you think this would be a good idea for a respitory bun? Does anyone steam their hay?

This is going to sound really stupid.

But wouldnt steaming hay add moisture to it, and cause it to get 'damp' almost? :?

A vet told me to soak the hay before feeding it, but Bluebell wouldn't eat it. I'm assuming if its done before feeding (ie daily) it doesn't go manky/mouldy. :?

A vet told me to soak the hay before feeding it, but Bluebell wouldn't eat it. I'm assuming if its done before feeding (ie daily) it doesn't go manky/mouldy. :?

:? That sounds really odd. I'm not really sure what to think/say!

He's never been this bad. He's fine whilst the anibiotics are working, when they start to wear off he's the worse I've ever seen. We are changing him onto Septrin today so fingers crossed we have more luck with this.

I know more about horses than I do about buns :D (which wouldn't be hard :roll: I'm still a bunny beginner)
Steaming or soaking hay for horses is to help those with copd or other respiratory problems. Depending on how long it is soaked for, it also reduces the feed value so people with very overweight horses may use it to make sure the animal is still get enough fibre (horses guts work the same as buns in that they need a virtually constatnt stream of fibre) without calories. You wouldn't want to reduce the calories for buns so I woudl say steaming would be better although obviously you need to make sure it has all cooled before feeding to your bun.
In theory it would help a bun with similar problems (dust allergy etc) but I'm not sure if they would actually eat damp/wet hay.
More knowledgeable bunny feeding people???????????????

He has dust/pollen allergies which aggrivate his respitory probs which is why I thought this might work. He wont eat it wet (soaked) but I'm thinking damp might work.

I'd say its worth a try.
the easiest way to do is using a dustbin (for horses anyway). Put a couple of clean bricks in the bottom to keep the hay (in a net for horses) off the bottom and out of the water. Boil a kettle, pour it slowly over all the hay, put the lid on and leave for about 10-15 mins.
than take lid off, make sure hay cools (stick your hand right in the middle and be careful because it can still be very hot and scald you) then feed
you have to do it every time you want to feed, it doesn't keep so you can't make a load up in advance.
hope this helps. Its a faff but I know loads of horses who have their hay like this. Also good for those with poor teeth because the hay is softer once its been soaked/steamed.

I used to feed my horse hay that had been soaked because of dust problems but eventually moved onto horsehage (think thats what it was called, was a few years ago now) but can't imagine that it would be any good for buns. Have you tried the 'dust free' hay? What about the dried grass options though I suppose you'd still have to feed hay as well

I 'thresh' my hay if I get a dusty bale. I put a load on a huge tarp and gently throw it in the air. This gets rid of quite a bit of dust but not all.

Have you tried the 'dust free' hay?

We already tried it and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it. It was dustier than my farm bale and I nearly stabbed myself on a sharp piece of wood in it.

Back