• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take to recover from a spay?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going to be booking Honey in for her spay in the next couple of weeks, I'm dreading it :( just wondering how much recovery time she's going to need before olly can be put with her, I mean he's going to start humping her and I don't want him to hurt her...

It depends on the rabbit. the worst one was 6 weeks, but normally they are back to themselves within a couple of days.

If her and Olly are bonded though, then they should ideally stay together.

Is Olly neutered?

Yes Olly was neutered in november :) they were bonded before that but have been separated since. They don't seem as happy apart though so want to reunite them asap!

Ah, ok. For a fresh bonding you need to wait a while, so 2 weeks minimu, but i always wait at least 4.

My Lottie recovered within a day or so, I put her straight back with Lewis and everything was fine. The vet said that it's often better to put them straight back together. Although another vet at the same surgery said something completely different, so I suppose it's up to the owner to decide :)

Edit -> Also, only just realised that it would be a fresh bonding!

It really varies between bucks and doe's and also individual bunnies - my older doe took about 2 weeks to be fully back to normal whereas Pixie my young doe bounced back within 48 hours. I'd check with the vet at the post spay checkup and go with their advice :wave:

My 2 girls took a few days to start acting normal - as in not so tired and sore. I kept them pretty much confined for a good 7-10 days - BUT Indiana jumped right out the one day - about after 5 days so I knew she was wanting out of the confined space. I gave them access to a carpet - as they slip on our flooring...and made sure they did no pping up onto things. Its took forever to get their fur back...so even once they were healed - they got cold outside cause if their bare tummies...ened up keeping them indoors over winter......

Agree with Sky-O - minimum 2 weeks - but personally I would wait longer - the op is quite intrusive & she will still be tender for a while. Rather wait an extra couple of weeks than risk her fighting cause she is sore still.:D

I used puppy pads for mine when they got spayed - as long as they dont chew it - it worked really well and kept them dry & clean. Also a bowl of water is easier for them when ill.:wave:

Good luck!:wave:

Bick was only a couple of days. I was so worried about her for those two days and then suddenly we woke up (we slept on the living room floor with her) and she was back to normal :love:

Thanks for all the advice! How long did it take before your girls started eating afterwards? I'm going to be panicking so much :(

Well, Nora, who was spayed yesterday, started eating hay and vegetables last night. She hasn't touched her pellets yet, but I'm sure she will eventually. Make sure that your vet gives you Metacam so you can give the bunny the day after the operation. :wave:

Thanks for all the advice! How long did it take before your girls started eating afterwards? I'm going to be panicking so much :(

Thats the bit to watch tbh - Nessie had the pain relief in the vets and didn't eat at all although she drank a little so she had to go back in the next day late morning for subcut fluids, gut stimulant and I was given the pain relief to bring home, I put her back outside (she is an outdoor rabbit) and gave her the one lot of pain relief and she started eating phew - I think I only needed to give her one more dose as she was eating fine then.

Pixie - scoffed her packed lunch apparently at the vets - came home and scoffed a small handful of wet flat leaf parsley straight away, had a nice long sleep next to her snugglesafe and was completely normal greedy guts as if nothing had happened.

To be honest there were three factors in her favour, her age, she didn't have her teeth done aswell and she is an indoor rabbit atm so came back to her 'normal' surroundings and therefore relaxed quicker. Poor Ness was older, had one tooth done I think, and came home to be indoors and it freaked her a bit I think.:wave:

Back