• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with Sue now Peggy is at the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Sue's beloved companion, Peggy, died at the vet this morning. The vet said he let Sue see Peggy and she sniffed her. I have brought Sue home and she ran to the hutch to look for Peggy:(

Sue only has half a kidney working and is very thin. I always thought she would die before Peggy. I hadn't considered what to do if it was this way around.

I asked the vet if he thought Sue was strong enough to be bonded and he did and didn't think I should leave her alone. I have a group of three, one of two and an indoor two.

I had intended rehoming another bun when Sue passed but as I am in a mess financially I can't do that.

I am going out to give all the hutches a clean and will spend some time with Sue but don't know who to bond her with or when to do it. I have Mon and Tues off work next week so from Sun morning am not at work at either of my jobs until Wed morning but it seems a bit soon.

I am a mess. Sitting here crying and don't know what on earth to do for the best.

Oh Rhianna :(

I'm so so sorry about Peggy. I hadn't realised she hadn't made it :(

Would it be an idea to have her indoors, so that the extra warmth would mean she wouldnt use so much energy keeping herself warm, and so could possibly help with her keeping/putting on some weight?

I'm not sure of your situation, so don't know if thats best or not?

Hugs

Gray

Oh no, I only read your thread on Peggy this morning, I am so, so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

I'm not sure on the bonding - maybe see how Sue gets on today and tomorrow? Sorry I don't have any better advice.

Huge hugs for you and nose rubs for Sue. Will be thinking of you both today xxx

Oh Rhianna :(

I'm so so sorry about Peggy. I hadn't realised she hadn't made it :(

Would it be an idea to have her indoors, so that the extra warmth would mean she wouldnt use so much energy keeping herself warm, and so could possibly help with her keeping/putting on some weight?

I'm not sure of your situation, so don't know if thats best or not?

Hugs

Gray

Gray beat me to it. I would be thinking indoors, which means the indoor pair if that's feasible?

Let Sue tell you if its too soon. Some need that friend instantly, others need a break, so follow her lead.

So sorry for your loss :(

I'm not good at bonding issues, I'm afraid, but hopefully someone will be along soon with useful tips.

I'm so sorry to hear about Peggie. :(

I would say the indoor pair sound the most suitable option as well; given Sue's medical problems.

I was thinking indoors too but George and Gemma were the hardest bond I have ever done and I am terrified of breaking that bond. It's also a selfish thought as I just want Sue with me at the moment. I hate seeing her in the big hutch all on her own.

Also, George and Gemma only have the kitchen to themselves. They were too destructive to let free range.

Sue has her winter coat on. Would coming inside now harm her? I do worry about her in the frost with no Peggy to keep her warm.

I am going to collect purplebumble and she is coming over. None of my friends are bunny lovers and most are at work anyway and I just feel a bit of a mess at the moment and want to be with someone who understands. If any of my friends said 'it is just a bunny' I am likely to commit murder!!!!

Could you bring Sue indoors and keep her on her own? I wouldn't want to leave on outdoor bunny without company of her own kind, but if she's inside then she'll get plenty of human interaction.

I would imagine Sue would need to be in a cool room though - she'll have a very thick winter coat and would find it very hot in a centrally heated house.

It's good to hear you'll have some company and a shoulder to cry on from somebody who understands.

I'm so sorry Karen. I think you should bring Sue inside; keep are warm, not only will it be good to have company for her, but I think it would be for you.

Sleep Well Peggy xxx :cry:

Would having Sue as an inside bunny by herself be an option?

Sometimes outdoor bunnies have to be brought in. I would imagine it would affect her less than the others because she is going to appreciate the warmth and was more vulnerable outside. She might manage to put on some weight. You could keep her somewhere cooler though if you were able?

I hope purplebumble and you manage to have a 'good' afternoon together. I get what you mean about needing to be with someone who understands, totally. she wasn't 'just' a rabbit, she was your friend. It doesn't matter what species she is.

I only have a small house and George and Gemma are in the kitchen where they see a lot of me as I have to go through it every time I come in and out. There is nowhere else I could keep Sue permanently and I work long hours so she wouldn't have that much company even indoors.

I bond in the lounge but I never sit in there as George and Gemma chewed through the TV cable, video cable and MP3 player cable!!! I watch TV in bed as it cuts down on the heating bill as well.

Am going outside now to give Sue a cuddle and see if she will eat something for me.

Sorry I don't have any experience to give advice, but maybe you and Sue will both need time to adjust. Thinking of you. xx

Poor Sue, so sorry about Peggy. I dont have any better ideas than those already suggested. Nose-rubs for Sue and hugs for you x

no idea what would be best for you and sue in this situation, sorry. if it was me though, it'd bring sue inside with me due to her health probs or i'd worry constantly about her being outside alone. x

poor karen:( i am so thankful for you letting me give the buns hugs. I can vouch for karen not having the set up available...and the two housebuns are a a tight click..and i odnt think theyd have her..but anythings poss.

I would hopuse her indoors but seeing karens options i can only say shed be better off in a hutch..she has the company of the cats and seeing the others in their hutch and penned area.

it was amazing....one of karens buns came up to the hutch sue was in and was hoping for a bit of contact:shock: this is the group of three..and these buns are very sweet natured..dylans an old man..molly could obviously feel sues pain..its odd..with every bun ive had that reaction..they feel the others pain and sympathise.

I personally think as the trio were so laid back..id bond her to them...they seem very laid back..unlike the couple indoors...who are soo tight with each other.

least then sue would have three buns to keep her warm. And then like we said..it be one run for all of them instead of it being halved.

im glad i oculd keep you company hun...and itll make you smile but i had to take my clothes off and have a quick shower...i had the kittens and
zuzu climing me going nuts cos of the bunny smells:lol:

berties ignoring me..but then he is sleeping:lol: bluebell however even after a shower...change of clothes and my indoor crocs...decided i needed scent marking and was bust chinning my feet:lol:

my worry is the cold but karens got it covered...;)

also sometimes buns fare better in their own usual surroundings after losing their companion.

I will keep fingers crossed karen...glad she was nomming a little hay..a little carrot n apple.....:love:

hi karen .. i have replied to your pm ..

by the sounds of what Debbie has said i think possibly making a four with the threesome might be very possible .

hugs .. x

I'm so sorry about Peggy. :cry: xx

I remember seeing these two when we went to collect Jack and I remember how pleased I was when I found out you were rehoming them. Bless them.

I hope you find a solution for Sue that you're happy with, poor lady xx

Tons of hugs for you xx

Thank you all for your support, especially purplebumble who sat out in the freezing cold cuddling Sue and keeping me company while I cleaned out the outdoor hutches. When I put Sue back in her hutch she did nom some hay and later I noticed her eating apple. When I went back later to give her some bread her food dish wasn't empty but a lot of food had gone, which is a huge relief.

I have left her outside on her own and am going to put a snugglesafe in before I go to bed. I think she is better in a familiar environment rather than bringing her indoors in a room she has never been in.

Long-term I think I will try and bond her with my group of three - completely going against my vet's advice:oops: My three used to be a group of six and are very laid back bunnies. Molly (the bun who came up to give Sue a nose rub) came to me with her two daughters and is a really maternal bun. She bonds well and easily. Dylan is an elderly male bun who is very relaxed. It is Munchkin, Molly's daughter, who may be the problem. She is a bit more lively and the youngest of the three buns.

The advantage of bonding Sue with them is that they can then have the whole run whereas now it is divided in two.

I will see how she is tomorrow and then decide when to start bonding. I need to wait until the weather warms up a bit as my house is much hotter than outside and the buns all have their winter coats on. I will alter the divide in the run so that Sue can see the others easier and hopefully they will rub noses through the wire.

It has been a horrible, horrible day. If I would fit, I would curl up in the hutch with Sue. I hate leaving her alone but the fact she is eating is a good sign. I have given her all her favourite things (including fenucreek crunchies). I am not working tomorrow so will be able to spend some time with her outside.

Back