• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are my bunnies bored sometimes?

John Lenegan

Young Bun
Hi everyone !

I have 2 beautiful dwarf lop bunnies ; Princess 9 months and Shogun just under 6 months.

They are both house bunnies, and with the exception of the first few days of having them , they are never locked in the cage and have free run of our apartment 24/7.

They have a 6 foot tube they love runnning in or hiding in, chew toys, scratch pads, balls, yellow pages etc and of course each other ! Their favourite place is under our bed on their blanket where they sleep and spend most of their time.

They jump for joy daily and play sprinting across the floor together.
However, I do get concerened they may get bored and here is my question....

A friend of ours has a house bunny and recently bought him a harness and takes him for walks in the park.

What are peoples thought on harnesses ?

I think my bunnies would love it but I am concerned if I take them outside they may contract these horrible diseases that are around.

If I get them vaccinated will they be safe ? What things do I do to make sure they are safe?

I want them to have the happiest life so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps Shogun got neutered this past Monday and has come through it fine, thank God!

You really should get your bunnies vacinated even tho' they are house bunnies.
Myxi is transmitted via insects, and VHD can be brought in on clothes, shoes etc.

I am not a fan of harnesses, i would never use them. To me your bunnies sound like they already have a great life with 24/7 access to a full apartment and many toys.

My two have 24/7 access to their bedroom, and also get into the other rooms when i am home.

I think with the right rabbit a harness can be fine (out of my 17 rabbits I would only ever consider one particular one on a harness), but I woudl never take them somewhere as open as a park or somewhere in public because you don't knwo what they are walking in, what happens if they escape or come across a dog, or cat, etc.

I agree, your rabbits do sound fine and happy :)

I'm hoping your girlie is also spayed at the moment?

And yes, definitely get their vaccinations done ASAP :)

I think with the right rabbit a harness can be fine (out of my 17 rabbits I would only ever consider one particular one on a harness), but I woudl never take them somewhere as open as a park or somewhere in public because you don't knwo what they are walking in, what happens if they escape or come across a dog, or cat, etc.

I agree, your rabbits do sound fine and happy :)

I'm hoping your girlie is also spayed at the moment?

And yes, definitely get their vaccinations done ASAP :)

Yes Princess got spayed a few months ago. Booked them both in for Saturday to get vaccinated ! Will post photos shortly

The trouble with a park is even if your bunnies are happy in a harness you've got no control over other animals there. It would be much to risk an off lead dog would head straight for them.

If you want to bring a little outdoors inside try a tray (cat litter/growbag/cage base) with grass/weeds growing :)

Things like hanging food up and hiding it in boxes encourages them to explore and keeps them bus too.

Sounds to me like your bunnies have a wonderful environment & I don't think you need worry about them getting bored :D

Maybe you could get a collapsable secure run for the summer which they could go in for a change of scenery?

Your buns sound exactly like mine!! even down to sleeping under our bed - I did wonder if my O/H had posted as a wind up :lol::lol:

My O/H is always on about getting a harness for SiDney and take him to the park, but all the dogs around here are scary looking ones so i told him it will NEVER happen (and SiDney is too big for one anyway):D

Back