• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often does depocillin need to be given to be effective?

Is it just single dose antibiotic or a course of injections? Thanks.

It depends on what it is being used to treat.

It is usually given every 2 or 3 days for bacterial infection. In exceptional cases it can be given daily, but this significantly increases the risk of associated gut problems.
Duration of course will be dependent on what is being treated.

To treat Treponematosis (Syphillis) it is generally given once a week for at least three weeks. But I believe some Vets prescribe a total of 6 injections every 2-3 days.

It depends on what it is being used to treat.

It is usually given every 2 or 3 days for bacterial infection. In exceptional cases it can be given daily, but this significantly increases the risk of associated gut problems.
Duration of course will be dependent on what is being treated.

To treat Treponematosis (Syphillis) it is generally given once a week for at least three weeks. But I believe some Vets prescribe a total of 6 injections every 2-3 days.

Thanks for your help on this Jane. Sunny is sneezing since the injection,where as he wasn't before.

So giving a injection for pasturella infection every week isn't really going to be effective?

So giving a injection for pasturella infection every week isn't really going to be effective?

In my experience no.

My Vet usually prescribes once every other day at first then once every three days. The duration of treatment can be months rather than weeks. But as I said, each case will be unique.

Ginger is on depocillin for her pasteurella and due to her responses before and history, she's on a 6 week treatment, once a week and Cilomax Abx eye drops to assist in treating it, as suggested by the lab who did her C&S tests. These are given 4x daily.

This is due to the additional 'hit' coming from the eye drops which gets to <insert name of area that joins the tear ducts towards the nasal area which the vet told me but i was too tired to interpret>.

These are being given at home, to reduce the stress of trips to the vet, which in turn can make pasteurella worse by my understanding.

:wave:

My vet usually does every other day depocillin, then reduced down to twice per week after symptoms have been gone for a while, finally once per week for another few months.

I guess it really depends on the severity of the infection...pasteurella infections of the respiratory system can range from just being a bit snotty, to having internal abscesses eating away at the bone.

Tippex Porkychicken has an injection every other day for her pasteurella ear infection and I expect her to stay on them for at least 3 months unless anything changes although I may reduce the frequency to every 3rd day if the vet is happy that the infection is under control next time she has a check up xx

Thankyou- Sunny had recently ruptured his tear ducts. He has had flushes regularly and alot of pasturella puss came out then. He is on the injection weekly. He is sneezing a little bit now. It's nothing severe though.

Thanks for all the information on this. I haven't had depocillin used before for pasturella only baytril and ronanxon i think it was called.

Back