• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gardeners What do you grow for your buns

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
I wondered what people grow in their gardens for the buns, what fruit bushes, etc are easy to grow, and what can you grow in containers which the buns would like, any links to where you buy your seeds, plants from would be helpful.

I have a half oak barrel I grow carrots in, so lovely fresh organic carrot tops for the buns. Well, I started growing the carrots before I even got the bunnies, but they certainly benefitted (is that even a word?) from them!!

It was the first time I'd ever grown them and forgot to pinch out the shoots to give space for the actual carrots to grow, so really I just had a barrel of carrot tops and really puny carrots!! Some were enough for a mouthful, but the others were tiny!!

They got ruined in the snow though and the ones in the shops are already withered, can't wait to get growing my lovely fresh ones again this year! I got my seeds free when I ordered a cheap potato planting kit I saw on Money Saving Expert. I expect it will be done again this year.

I have a half oak barrel I grow carrots in, so lovely fresh organic carrot tops for the buns. Well, I started growing the carrots before I even got the bunnies, but they certainly benefitted (is that even a word?) from them!!

It was the first time I'd ever grown them and forgot to pinch out the shoots to give space for the actual carrots to grow, so really I just had a barrel of carrot tops and really puny carrots!! Some were enough for a mouthful, but the others were tiny!!

They got ruined in the snow though and the ones in the shops are already withered, can't wait to get growing my lovely fresh ones again this year! I got my seeds free when I ordered a cheap potato planting kit I saw on Money Saving Expert. I expect it will be done again this year.

My buns love carrot tops so I will have to try and grow some of these

These tend to grow well on their own in our garden :)

I started some carrots last year, and they got to about 2" long before Ra worked out how to get into them and scoffed the lot:lol:

I'm definately doing carrots again this year, but I'm planting them much higher than last time!

I grow basil, parsley and carrots for their tops which i just grow in oblong planters, as one is used I start another and dandelions:lol:
I'm looking for more ideas for this years harvest:D

I used to grow veggies for the buns but now I have a herb garden. I grow thyme, rosemary, parsley, mint in pots, lemon balm in pots, basil on windowsill. I am trying to concentrate on edible medicinal flowers as well. Chamomile, nasturium, marigolds and voilets.

I also have a rose bush and 3 raspberry canes. I usually do carrots in a large tub also.

nasturtuims nom noms

New one to me - and pretty! I grow lots of great weeds in my raised beds - I never pull up dandelions or vetch or mallow (?) and loads of particularly nice grass :lol: Also parsley, pak choi, sunflowers, kale (which lasts right through the winter), radish leaves, strawberry leaves, celery (best in second year), runner bean leaves (sparingly - I think they're not that good for them for some reason). Apple tree leaves and branches (birds enjoy the apples), hazel bushes (some like them some don't) and the squirrels get the cobs. Which is partly why my OH came in recently and said "those squirrls don't even run away, they just waddle off" :lol:I have tried cabbage and broccoli but the slugs and the caterpillars won two years in a row... I love being able to go into the garden and pull a really big variety of green leaves for them and judging by their reaction it beats Tescos hands down!

In case you're wondering, we get to eat the tomatoes (leaves poisonous for buns) and the courgettes :)

We successfully grew troughs of celery, all the buns like celery but Buttercup just lurves it! :love:

I found that the buns preferred the leafy bits not the stalks so we just bought some celery plants (reduced) from a local garden centre and were then able to keep a supply of lovely fresh leafy celery right up until early October. Every time Buttercup heard the 'snap' of the stalk she got so excited - this soon rubbed off on Squirrel, Duck and Parsnip too. The more we 'pruned' the plants the more leaves grew!

Will definately try to grow more this year!

Oh, and we find weeds grow quite successfully too :oops:

Ruth x

Back