• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would It Be Wrong To?

Breed your own female rabbit once, keep and care for all of the kits then get them all spayed/neutered?
Just wondering what everyone's views are on this?

if you had the money and space to keep every kit and be able manage vet bills etc i dont think theres a problem?:?

In my opinion.... yes. Why not just adopt a group of buns from a local rescue? Thats a large amount of buns that could have forever homes but instead have to live their lives away just waiting........

It's irresponsible if you don't know the genetic history (going back several generations) of both parents because the kits could easily have genetic problems even if both parents appear outwardly healthy.

It's irresponsible if you value the life of the mother because pregnancy and birth are extremely dangerous. You'd need to be prepared for her to suffer complications and possibly death.

It's irresponsible if you're breeding because you want more rabbits as you're taking away potential homes for the thousands in rescue already that could be PTS as a result of not getting a home in time.

Just my 2 cents. :)

AMETHYST

Im not planning on doing this either, just wondering as people say lots of baby rabbits end up in rescues so if you kept them all it might be less of a problem. I rescued 3 of mine and Lola was a free to good home baby:wave:

In my opinion.... yes. Why not just adopt a group of buns from a local rescue? Thats a large amount of buns that could have forever homes but instead have to live their lives away just waiting........

I think this. As much as it would be nice to have your own babies from when they're born, there are so many beautiful buns waiting for a home.

Plus, you don't know how good a mother the female would be, there are a lot that kill their young for seemingly mysterious reasons...

Please be aware you put the female rabbit at risk of complications by breeding her. A big thing to consider. :wave:

Yes.

You risk losing your female, and all the babies, and for what?
The female knows no better if she is spayed, they don't have human wants like us when it comes to babies.

If you want babies, offer to foster a pregnant doe at rescue, or adopt a ready made family of mum and babies from rescue :)

Yes.

You risk losing your female, and all the babies, and for what?
The female knows no better if she is spayed, they don't have human wants like us when it comes to babies.

If you want babies, offer to foster a pregnant doe at rescue, or adopt a ready made family of mum and babies from rescue :)

I didnt even mention health risks to the mum :oops: I assumed everyone realised the potential health risks to the doe, but I guess they wouldnt really, would they?

I did this. I have some wonderful bunnies and Flash's genes live on for another generation (bear in mind the youngest bunnies will be 4 this year). However, I would not do it again in the future and if I knew then, all I knew now, I would not have done it then.

I did it due to being blinded and driven by grief to try and find Flash and keep him alive.

However, had I not done all that, and not learnt all I know, then I wouldn't have gotten involved in the RSPCA and started taking on the special and needy bunnies, so whilst it wasn't something I would do now, it has had some wonderful consequences and results in all the rescue rabbits that have passed through these doors and all the owners and bunnies I ahve helped via the RSPCA.

not something id want to try... the stress and worry about my girl would be enough to put me off...

After seeing my chipmunk have a baby stuck halfway out which was accidental and also the stuck puppy in my childhood dog id not deliberately breed any animal

thankfully stellas last sneaky pregnancy went well and peanut is lovely :love:

I'm not sure, it would be kinder to rescue but I can understand why people want their own rabbit's babies. I love the idea of fostering a pregnant doe or rehoming a ready made family. :love:

Yes; not only do you risk the lives of the female bun; but you know full well of all the buns needing a home; why do it?

Is this about you? Is this why you haven't speyed your girls:(?

Yes; not only do you risk the lives of the female bun; but you know full well of all the buns needing a home; why do it?

Is this about you? Is this why you haven't speyed your girls:(?

Thank you very much but no!
My girls are getting spayed and my boys are funnily enough neutered!
Urgh if you think I would breed you have me all wrong, for a start Lola is too old and Delilah has dental problems! :evil:

Thank you very much but no!
My girls are getting spayed and my boys are funnily enough neutered!
Urgh if you think I would breed you have me all wrong, for a start Lola is too old and Delilah has dental problems! :evil:

Well it's an odd question to ask, if you trawl through all the threads of breeder for and against. It has certainly riled a few members, it doesn't hurt to ask; afterall you can't trust anyone on the t'internet. ;)

Well it's an odd question to ask, if you trawl through all the threads of breeder for and against. It has certainly riled a few members, it doesn't hurt to ask; afterall you can't trust anyone on the t'internet. ;)

Yes my question was if everyone finds breeding so bad that it leaves many bunnies in rescues what happened if someone bred a rabbit and kept her litter, is it wrong..
If I ever wanted to do this I would not consult the forum, I do what I do not what other people tell me to do! I would never breed my rabbits as I have no history on them, three of them have dental issues!
I am happy with my 12 beautiful animals I currently have I will not be getting more and I certainly will NOT be breeding my animals or any other female rabbit for that matter!

Yes my question was if everyone finds breeding so bad that it leaves many bunnies in rescues what happened if someone bred a rabbit and kept her litter, is it wrong..
If I ever wanted to do this I would not consult the forum, I do what I do not what other people tell me to do! I would never breed my rabbits as I have no history on them, three of them have dental issues!
I am happy with my 12 beautiful animals I currently have I will not be getting more and I certainly will NOT be breeding my animals or any other female rabbit for that matter!

I'm not looking to argue, so please calm down. I had to ask; I think I got the question answered that alot of people were contemplating.

I still can't see the logic; the fact of the matter is; why breed? You may look after the babies, keep them, neuter them, but if you could in theory afford to look after more buns and give them the time and love they need; it would make much more sense to give a little love and compassion to the buns that are already on this earth in need of a home.

Every post I make to you, you evidently take the wrong way; or chose to ignore. You may feel superior to me; but I'm entitled to my opinion too, just as you are yours. You really don't need to get defensive!

I'm not looking to argue, so please calm down. I had to ask; I think I got the question answered that alot of people were contemplating.

I still can't see the logic; the fact of the matter is; why breed? You may look after the babies, keep them, neuter them, but if you could in theory afford to look after more buns and give them the time and love they need; it would make much more sense to give a little love and compassion to the buns that are already on this earth in need of a home.

Every post I make to you, you evidently take the wrong way; or chose to ignore. You may feel superior to me; but I'm entitled to my opinion too, just as you are yours. You really don't need to get defensive!

Thank you, all I asked for was your view not 20 questions on wether or not I was going to breed my rabbits. I dont personally agree with breeding rabbits for pets at home and other things like that but if there was a loving caring home for baby rabbits and their mum maybe then it wasnt so bad, it was just something I thought of and wondered if you all thought it was wrong or right.
No-one can control who breeds and who doesnt, some breeding is done in the correct mannor other cases the rabbit is mis-used and over bred.
Of course it makes 100% sence to go to a rescue to get a rabbit from there which I have already done and they now all have their own bedrooms and all of them, in my eyes, are well cared for and are in much better conditions from what they used to live in.

Back