• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When will it be?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I'm inching my way towards Spenser's neuter, and have reached the stage of trying to work out the best time. My parents are away the first week in February, and I need them to run us to the main practice of Spenser's vet (they don't do ops at the local place). So I think it has to be after, as it is still very cold here (frost hasn't melted all day). Then I will want to wait until after Valentine's weekend when I will also be looking after Mr McFlurry... I think I would feel better about it if Spenser was more hormonal and I felt more sure I was doing him a favour. He has the teeniest, weeniest plums imaginable, nothing like plums or furry teabags.:oops: I know I'm being a bit wimpish about this, but he is my first pet. :love:

I would wait until it's much warmer - February is usually still cold and sometimes snowy. I'd be inclined to go for the end of March, beginning of April.

But he only needs to be in for one night and he has a crate now for that, doesn't he?

What time of year it is makes no odds to me, our bunnies have to have dentals and other ops all year round

But he only needs to be in for one night and he has a crate now for that, doesn't he?

What time of year it is makes no odds to me, our bunnies have to have dentals and other ops all year round

I'm just thinking if Susie's stress levels if the weather's cold :lol: And the original plan was for Spring, which isn't til late March anyway :)

My boys were done in October, and were fine.

I never gave Louie the chance to become hormonal, his balls were whisked away when he was 4 months old :D

I never gave Louie the chance to become hormonal, his balls were whisked away when he was 4 months old :D

I had to get my boys done young as Blackie was humping everything and everyone constantly :shock:

Mind you, he still humps poor Butter's head when he gets excited :roll:

Spenser was 7 months when I got him! I really should have got him done ASAP but decided to let him settle first, then I broke my arm, and so it goes on. Did help matters that I had my mother going, 'oh no, poor Spenser' in the background for months.:roll:

I got Harvey's done at 9 weeks old :shock::D

Don't feel bad if you have to wait a few weeks :) it isn't as essential an op as a female spay.

TBH Susie - I'd just go for it asap. Rescues neuter all year round without an issue. So long as you bring him inside for 24 / 48 hrs after the op you should have no probs. Why not get him booked in BEFORE your parents go away? I just think the sooner you do it the better (for you and him) and you can stop fretting :wave:

You dont really want him to get hormonal first.... it would give him something to miss!! Hehehe.

I had Rimmi done at 5 months I think, and his were pretty tiny too......! I mean, Rimmi was only 700g in weight, but I wanted them to go so he could get his gf, and before he started spreying or anything.

Dont worry, you are doing him a favour.... those balls just drive em crazy..... they become worse than men.... all they can think about is sex, and you dont want that ! :) Its much nicer to free them from their frustration before it begins :p

You dont really want him to get hormonal first.... it would give him something to miss!! Hehehe.

I had Rimmi done at 5 months I think, and his were pretty tiny too......! I mean, Rimmi was only 700g in weight, but I wanted them to go so he could get his gf, and before he started spreying or anything.

Dont worry, you are doing him a favour.... those balls just drive em crazy..... they become worse than men.... all they can think about is sex, and you dont want that ! :) Its much nicer to free them from their frustration before it begins :p

Agreed. I know spenser isnt anywhere near this old yet, but because barney was done late (hes 2 or 3) some of the hormonal behaviour has stayed. So fairly soon is best :) Dont see the harm in waiting a couple of months if he doesnt start acting up though. But if you are thinking of getting him a friend soon, sooner the better, becasue of the 2 month wait after neuter.

TBH Susie - I'd just go for it asap. Rescues neuter all year round without an issue. So long as you bring him inside for 24 / 48 hrs after the op you should have no probs. Why not get him booked in BEFORE your parents go away? I just think the sooner you do it the better (for you and him) and you can stop fretting :wave:

You just have to promise to join the group of us who will need to be there to stop Susie exploding with stress when he goes in for the op :wave:

:lol: like me with locksley, as soon as he hit 14 weeks, he did one wee on my bed and that was it :lol: how cruel am i :oops: :lol:

You just have to promise to join the group of us who will need to be there to stop Susie exploding with stress when he goes in for the op :wave:

if the vets are anything like ours, i never had time to worry, i was soo surprised, i dropped him off, then went to pick up a prescription, just finished house work, and had a phone call saying he had been done and was fine :)

id wait till late march or april if it was me :wave:

we aim to get Ste's moms girls done, but not until its LOADS warmer... im thinking May is good for me as i will be the one to have them move in for 2 weeks lolol

i'm gonna wait till march and whip thumper and beanies balls off now i know the white ones a boy i've put him in with his daddy no problem and apart from a bit of humping each others heads they've bonded quickly :D defo gonna get them done cos the noise from upstairs is bad lol xxxxx

Back