• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Sam has not been eating since Tuesday night. Hes being syringe fed, taking meds. Hes in the downstairs toilet/utility as I can see him from the kitchen. Hes just huddled up.
Hes bonded with Amber and Elvis. Do you think I should bring them into the house aswell? The vet said to keep him seperate so that I can see if he was pooing and weeing.
When I took him to the vets earlier, I took Amber with him and put her back in the utility with him and he snuggled up to her and even had a piece of hay. So, I thought he was getting better and put them both back out in the summerhouse but when I went out to feed them he was huddled up on his own again and wouldnt come and feed. So, I've bought him back in again.
So, should I bring Elvis and Amber in? :?

Last edited:
sorry to here your bun is poorly :( is there anyway they could come in so he can see them but be in a different area like in a pen so you can still check he is pooping but he can still see his friends.. i find casper my bun is alot happier when poppy comes inside with him, i only put them in the conservatory because i think my house is too hot for my outdoor buns, but he stays in a pen in the conservatory while poppy runs about in the conservatory free range, they usally settle down and lie by each other near the cage :love:

If he can be close to them so he can see, hear and smell them it will reassure him but still allow you to monitor his eating and pooing and hopefully preserve their bond.
If he is not pooing then giving medication by mouth is not as effective as it won't move through his intestines and get absorbed properly. If this is happening then he will need to see your vet again for injections of medication.
If the underlying cause of his stasis has been resolved and he is still pooing then persist with force feeding and medication, and keep your vet updated on how he is doing especially if you are worried.
Marie

I find my poorly buns find comfort from their friends. I know sometimes my vet puts them in adjoining pens if he needs to monitor their intake and outtake and they still keep their bond and can rub noses through the pen.

One of my buns, Peggy, is at the vet at the moment and she has her companion with her.

I've got Sam in the downstairs toilet. That room leads into the utility and then into the kitchen. I could put a stairgate across the toilet door and put Amber and Elvis in the utility. Except the utility has a cat flap in the outside door for the cats. I could keep the cats in the kitchen and lock the cat flap. Maybe that would work....
I turn the radiators off in the utility and toilet so hopefully he wont get too hot. Its quite cold out in the summerhouse and the vet said I should keep him somewhere warm.

Hes nomming hay!!

Ooh I'm so excited but hes nomming some hay!! Hasnt touched anything else yet. Do I carry on with his meds? This happened earlier and I put him back with the others and then he withdrew again.... I'll just leave him nomming....:D

Yay sounds great.

I think moving him around will upset him so just let him stay where he is. I think the company of the others is important but at the moment you need to see if he's pooing. Give him lots of cuddles to make up for lack of bunny ones. :)

Good luck and keep nomming!

Hes had a bit of spring greens aswell!! Do I need to still give him the liquid feed? I suppose I do - hes still not eating his pellets. He dosnt like me doing it though.:roll:

It's great he is eating. I think it depends on how much he is eating. If he is nomming loads of hay and veg I don't think it matters if he's not having pellets, but if he is only nibbling the odd bit then he will still need syringe feeding.

Hes only had a little bit of hay and most of the spring green leaf but left the carrots. I'll keep syringe feeding him tonight. I think his tummy must still be uncomfortable as he eats a little and then sits quietly for abit.
Hes due for some more metacam and I'll give him some more liquid feed. :)

Back