• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Actual Accommodation Sizes

What is the total size for you accomodation for a PAIR of MEDIUM (2-4kg) rabbits?

• Total voters

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
In researching rabbit accomodation set-ups, both indoors and out (for some uni awareness work I am doing) I found a lot of set-ups on other forums that were highly praised but didnt meet the RSPCA minimum standards.
Generally speaking on RU most people seem to conform to the standards (through advice and positive peer pressure!) but I just wondered what the relative distribution is, amoung people that are well informed on needs and standards.

Hope no-one is offended by the poll, its just for interest and to help with education and awareness.

Please feel free to comment on you experiences and how you achieve your total space.

Last edited:
My two have free range access to two floors of my house. I'm probably going to scew your results, sorry!

I have outdoor buns and still not sure how to reply :shock: because
- they are shut in overnight (2 storey 6x2x2)
- they get 4-5 hours free ranging per day (spilt between early morning and evening)
- their outdoor run is 10x3 where they are for about 10 hours per day

I don't know how to square feet anything :oops:

I have 7 buns in a 16ft x 4ft kennel and next week they will also have a 12ft x 8ft aviary attached.

What is the square feet of that? :oops:

Mine have 48sq foot but they are only littluns (both below 2kg), so I wasn't sure whether to answer the poll... I did anyway :oops:

ETA: That's their permanent accomodation, they get time in a run and free range as well.

Err one group gets free range of the upstairs of a 3 bed house, and the other group have free range of downstairs. Sorry I don't know the sq foot :oops:

I knew this would get confusing!! :roll::roll: :lol::lol:

The question is only for pairs of rabbits, and only for medium rabbits (just so its an average, it gets too confusing if I add multiple groups and/or big or small buns!)

Please answer in terms of permanent accomodation i.e. what they are in during the day when you are not there.

House/indoor buns, can you try to approximate their total free-range space?

The area where Sooty (and my new bunny once bonded) is put away at night is 68 sq foot, but during the day he has free range of the whole house.

As they are seperate at the min my new bunny has a 6x6 pen set up, so just meeting minimum requirements, plus she gets some time in the living room when Sootys not around. This is only temporary though once they're a pair she'll obviously have the same amount of space as Sooty.

Last edited:
I knew this would get confusing!! :roll::roll: :lol::lol:

The question is only for pairs of rabbits, and only for medium rabbits (just so its an average, it gets too confusing if I add multiple groups and/or big or small buns!)

Please answer in terms of permanent accomodation i.e. what they are in during the day when you are not there.

House/indoor buns, can you try to approximate their total free-range space?

Oooh, I'm sorry. You can ignore one of the 40-50 votes then :oops:

I went for the base for my buns as they are in there when we are not there and at night. I think their base is about 20sq feet. 5x2 and over two layers. The rest of the time they have a kitchen, living room, stairs and landing to themselves.

I've got more than one set

Sophie And Granite have 6ftx10ft
Belle and Granite have 6x6ft

With EEyore having 6ftx4ft

Isla having double 5ftx2ft hutch

Less than Ideal for the singles I know but hoping to do a mass bonding session. I will get a group out of my bunnies!!

ETA I have voted for 36-40sq ft, it wont let me add the other one.

P.S. the plan is for the smaller set up to be connected to one of the 5ftx6ft runs

pps they all get time out of their set ups during the day on a run rotation

Last edited:
Okay, typing as i go. Pair of dwarf lops (1 is 2.2Kgs, 1 is 1.47Kgs)

4x2ft dog crate (with 2 levels, but i'll only count one) = 8ft sq
14x3ft hallway = 42ft sq
10x6ft living room space (penned off) = 60

sooooooo

110sq ft?

That looks so wrong, but i've just been down with the tape measure :?

ETA: Housebunnys :D

Last edited:
Mine are in a 6x2 double storey, and free range from about half 4 - 10.

My two are not all weather rabbits; they detest the rain and aren't particularly fond of the wind. Either of these weathers and they take hemselves back to their hutch to stare out in disgust!

I honestly don't think they would use a run except in the summer. It would need some serious modifications to make it suitable for mine for all year round.

If my two were more energetic and/or less opposed to our fair British weather, I would have gone for the 6x2 with attached run, no questions.

Attaching a run isn't out of the question in the future, but at the time I was buying, I knew they would prefer a larger "inside" accommodation compared to smaller "indoor" accommodation with an attached run, if you see what I mean :?

I kinda need a poll where I can do two options :p

The lops have 9x7 approx (63 sq. ft) as well as a small square by the wardrobes and a small square by the door. I'm including my bed in this because they go on my bed.

The lionheads have 6x8 approx (48 sq. ft) but there is a small square not available where there is a slope where the stairs are. They get time on the landing (10x2 roughly) each day.

I've ticked 60+ cos that's roughly the max. each pair have available most of the day.

Last edited:
I have small rabbits, but all my outside bunnies are within a foot of the 36sqft, but some have more.

Back