• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurence which covers dentals?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I'm thinking of getting charlie covered but not sure who to go with or how to find out what their cover actually gives... He's three and has never had any health problems yet, but i'd feel so much better knowing i didn't have to worry. Also, does insurence cover out of hours vet treatment?

Petplan covers out of hours so long as it is necessary - ie bun can't wait till morning/regular surgery times.

The way I was explained Dental cover for Petplan was that 1, Bun must have had a dental checkup within the last year (this can be done at Vacc's time but make sure vet puts it on the computer/notes) and the treatment is necessary ie not cosmetic :)roll:) (shame 'cos Maisy fancied having a silver star on her top incisor:lol:)

If you go on to the petplan website you can see what's covered and what's not - you can request details in writing.

Indeed, pet plan do not cover "The cost of trimming, burring or rasping rabbits’ teeth.". However I believe they should cover other dental related problems as long as you've had a dental checkup within the last 12 months.

I would definately recommend petplan, In my opinion they give the best coverage out of all the insurers. Some of the other insurers don't offer 'life' coverage and some don't cover the full costs of referrals etc

And yes they cover out of hours treatment as long as the vet agrees that it was an emergency.

Do you know an insurance that does cover dentals at all?

No I don't, but I'd be interested to know if there is one too.

I have a severe dental bun (Herbie) who has to have a dental every 3 weeks at £70 a time. Obviously insurance covering dentals isn't possible for him as it's a pre-existing condition, but I have 4 other buns who I would consider insuring if dentals were covered, just in case they develop problems in the future.

No I don't, but I'd be interested to know if there is one too.

I have a severe dental bun (Herbie) who has to have a dental every 3 weeks at £70 a time. Obviously insurance covering dentals isn't possible for him as it's a pre-existing condition, but I have 4 other buns who I would consider insuring if dentals were covered, just in case they develop problems in the future.

Dentals are the thing that worry me most to be honest, I have no savings now due to benefits messing me about so while I can afford it, I'd have to borrow a chunk of money off my OH to pay it right away and then pay him back if anything happens before I can save up a bit all over again. Would feel much better if I knew that I could just pop straight down to the vet without thinking about it!

It wouldn't be in the insurance companies interest to insure a dental bun, they'd be forever paying out, unfortunately :(

It wouldn't be in the insurance companies interest to insure a dental bun, they'd be forever paying out, unfortunately :(

Is that to me? Charlie isn't a dental bun but if he ever needs one I want it to be covered :) I just mean I want one that will cover it if he does need a dental, not that he already needs them regullary.
He's never had/needed a dental (or any other vet treatment)

Is that to me? Charlie isn't a dental bun but if he ever needs one I want it to be covered :) I just mean I want one that will cover it if he does need a dental, not that he already needs them regullary.
He's never had/needed a dental (or any other vet treatment)

No no, sorry Steph, i didnt aim it at anyone, it was a general comment :wave:

My boys are all insured with Petplan.

Blackie has an exclusion for dentals as it was a pre-existing condition before I took the insurance out.

The other three will be covered, so long as they have their teeth checked each year, which the vet does anyway.

It's better to take out the insurance if you have no savings - I had been planning on taking out insurance, but Blackie had his teeth problems all of a sudden, so it was too late and I now have to pay for treatment each time.

Blackie has an exclusion for dentals as it was a pre-existing condition before I took the insurance out.

The other three will be covered, so long as they have their teeth checked each year, which the vet does anyway.

It's better to take out the insurance if you have no savings - I had been planning on taking out insurance, but Blackie had his teeth problems all of a sudden, so it was too late and I now have to pay for treatment each time.

Yeah, I think I'll talk to my mam and see if she'll phone up for me so I can get it when I sort my bank accoutn out so I can have a Direct Debit to it, thanks all :D

I'm really confused as it clearly says in the Terms & Conditions that burring, trimming and rasping aren't covered. So I would take this as meaning that the removal of molar spurs, which is the common dental problem, wouldn't be covered. :? It would be great if I have misunderstood this. :D

When it says dental work is covered, do you think it means such treatment as tooth extraction etc.....the things which are less common.

I'm really confused as it clearly says in the Terms & Conditions that burring, trimming and rasping aren't covered. So I would take this as meaning that the removal of molar spurs, which is the common dental problem, wouldn't be covered. :? It would be great if I have misunderstood this. :D

When it says dental work is covered, do you think it means such treatment as tooth extraction etc.....the things which are less common.

It actually says on Blackie's insurance certificate that he has a dental exclusion, and the vet seemed to think as well that dentals would be covered for the other 3.

Steph, there have been quite a few thread on pet plan covering dentals, you could search them.

Personally I think it depends on who is dealing with the claim. Frankie has had a dental covered as "a gesture of good will" for 'tiny' spurs burred, ONCE.

Where as when Cherry Blossom was having xrays for investigations into on going weight loss I had to pay for loose teeth to be extracted. So insurance paid for the xray, sedation etc and I had to pay for the dental work

Steph, there have been quite a few thread on pet plan covering dentals, you could search them.

Personally I think it depends on who is dealing with the claim. Frankie has had a dental covered as "a gesture of good will" for 'tiny' spurs burred, ONCE.

Where as when Cherry Blossom was having xrays for investigations into on going weight loss I had to pay for loose teeth to be extracted. So insurance paid for the xray, sedation etc and I had to pay for the dental work

I've read a few but I get a bit lost with it all, I know I've seen people say that certain things aren't covered but sometimes are by other companies. I'm not good with this kind of thing :lol:

Hopefully they'll reply quickly, dental work is the main reason I'd want him insured (see so many dental threads that I'm paranoid he'll need one someday) so if no one will do it I'll be debating if I get it

Dental burring/trimming isn't usually that expensive anyway. Even if it was covered you would have to pay the excess!

Back