• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

digging pit

elis-mum

Mama Doe
hi :wave:

yesterday i bought a really large plastic under bed storage box. i intend to fill it with soil and put it in the rabbits enclosure as a dig pit. :p

should i be careful which soil i use? i know i need to avoid ones with things like anti fungals and pesticides in there. so do you think it would be ok with just a basic bedding soil??

i remember one of my old buns years ago digging out all my flower tubs in turn! he looked far too cute to be mad at! :love:

i recently saw someone on here that had just done a similar thing with the dig pit, any ideas anyone??

thankyou. :)

I just emptied old compost from my hanging baskets and flower tubs. Only trouble I have now is that I'm left with a layer of mud with horrible mucky water on top. Drill some holes in the bottom so it doesn't get waterlogged like mine. Mines a huge kids snadpit as well so no idea how or where i'll be able to tip it in the spring :?

I filled some with compost but mine ignored it. :roll: Mini and Mischa now have an old carrier with newspaper in which they like digging in. I tried it with the lionheads but they just weed in there so I gave up.

I was going to start a thread asking exactly this question in a couple of weeks when Im in my new home and have room for a digging box for my buns :wave:

Im going to be growing my own herbs (also for the buns!) so could I use the left over soil from potting these??Obviously with no pesticides or fertilisers x

I filled some with compost but mine ignored it. :roll: Mini and Mischa now have an old carrier with newspaper in which they like digging in. I tried it with the lionheads but they just weed in there so I gave up.

:lol::lol:

it has a lid on so if the weather is very wet i will pop the lid on, no doubt they will just climb on it then. :roll:
holes in the bottom is a good tip though, thanks everyone. :wave:

casper loves his dig dig pot :lol: i just used normal compost there was plants growing in it.. but casper said it was his :roll:.. sooo it became his digging pot instead :lol:

P1744_17-06-10.jpg

Mine seem to prefer to dig in fairly dry, sandy soil so maybe a mixture of garden soil, old peat free organic compost (no chemicals) and sand would work well? Don't be surprised if they use it as a toilet though :)

Eta: that is a very cute pic :love:

casper loves his dig dig pot :lol: i just used normal compost there was plants growing in it.. but casper said it was his :roll:.. sooo it became his digging pot instead :lol:

P1744_17-06-10.jpg

White buns always roll and flop in the muck my Jasper is terrible for it he's such a little scruff :roll:

029.jpg

I bought loads of those herb plants from the reduced for quick sale section in Tesco and filled it with those broken up...that's cracking fun for a bun to forage in.

That pic of Casper made my day! :love:

he is just a bundle of fun when he finds his pot :lol: he is always rolling in mud, i dont know why he does it my other bun never rolls, he gets all excited about rolling then lies there on his back for about 5 mins soaking up the mud i guess! although its not just HIS pot he likes to dig dig... mummys plants get a lovely dig at too..

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

Does anyone have an indoor one? How often do you change it/clean it out?

Jasper is just adorable!:love:

I have an indoor one (kinda). It's a carrier with newspaper in though, they shred and dig the newspaper and just generally like going in and out.

the pics on here are so gorgeous! :love:

i want one now! i know matt would absolutely love it! he loves mud and soil and getting filthy! bisc doesn't like dirty feets though so it'd be interesting to see what he did with it. :lol:

This thread has given me lots of ideas. I know the pair of mine love digging in mums large planters and eating my grandmas rose bush! :lol: Only problem is, theyre now indoor bunsters and soil isnt so great indoors!

They have a cardboard box with news paper (scrunched, rolled, shredded..) some toilet tubes, bits of cardboard an old rag and Dolly would rather dig the carpet next to it :roll: I might just try an old yellow pages, see how that goes down. Keep the ideas coming, theyre great! Roll on spring when they can play outside! :D

Back