• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bite wounds / sqabble UD - okish...bonding mind prep

chelle

Warren Veteran
:wave:Hi all!

Ive posted this on my Archie threa in Rabbit Chat - bit its a health question really.....
The girls had a fight this morning....fur & a few bits....they basically are very much aware of Archie....

Im thinking either a vet visit for anti-biotics to stop infection....or try do salt water, manuka honey or hibiscrub?

Not used any of these before....just was reading up on it on RU.

Would it be ok to use any of the above on their bites?
Which is recommened & is ok to lick and doesnt sting?

There is some bald patches - just fur pulled - but also some skin broken and some blood thats dried. Moist bites that have prob dried by now too....

I know the vets is prob the best option but can I get something for now for today as currently they are both being close & dont want to stress them out ...if I can put something on to help stop infection and see how it is later on or tomorrow Id feel abit better than just leaving it.

Thanks guys...:)

Last edited:
Personally I'd get them to the Vet today

Bites that break the skin can easily become infected so the sooner appropriate treatment is given the better. Otherwise there is a risk of abscessation which then becomes a much more serious problem.

Hiya not sure tbh as I've never experienced wounds...just wanted to bump your thread :D

I would say if it's just a small nip, cooled boiled water to wipe the area over...but I can't see it so not 100% on my answer .....

bump

Harvey had a pretty nasty wound, I took him to the vets and they recommended bathing it in warm salt water. Epsom salts are best but any salt will do. I think manuka honey is more for abscesses

Definitely worth a vet trip though as you'll probably need baytril and metacam.

How they doing now Chelle?

Sorry i missed this, too many threads/replies occuring between 5:30pm and 8:30am causes silly old me to miss many.

Hope they are okay :)

I agree with Jack's Jane.

Salt water wont do any harm in the meantime before you can get to the vets, this is what they normally recommend to bathe wounds with anyway (I think). It shouldnt sting if its not to concentrated. I would just stick with that, rather than the other options.

It depends on the size of wounds and how deep they are, if they are deep bites or large in surface area then definately visit the vets for some antibiotics.

Sometimes you can get a lot of blood from relatively minor wounds. My buns had a fight (it was Christmas day so couldnt got to vets!) and there was masses of blood but the wounds turned out to be nothing more than grazes (with teeth). Think there was lots of blood cause it was on the ear.

Thanks you guys - its ok Gray - you answer loads threads....thanks for taking the time!:wave:

I wasnt able to go to the vets:oops: - kept an evil eye on them though - full of beans...and have re-inspected the wounds again...if any look red I will go to the vet.

Right - Im gonna get some epsom salts for future use...basically after inspecting them again - I found that they were more grazes from teeth or fur pulled. Im so annoyed at them...they fought again last night just before I went to bed - and I stopped them - but then Indiana went up to Arrabella & then backed away when Arrabella came forward & chased her. I split them up but they still tried to go for each other. I then sat there and talked to them:roll: and asked what they thought they were doing - the funny part was it was like they were actaully listening and looked embarrassed.....anyway - I then inspected Indiana and put her in the carrier & then caught Arrabella & checked her over, There was not much fur or biting more chasing & scuffling. I then took Indiana out the carrier & sat with them both next to each other on my lap (heads the same end) & stroked them for ages till they relaxed abit more....they were ok after that. I did feel worried they would go for each other but deep breathes & relaxing myself helped overall I think.

At 3 am this morning Archie decided to start thumping & woke us all up - OH is like - sort them out....ummm how?:?
Told Archie to be quite too & he listed..:shock::roll:
This morning when OH fed the girls - they usually circle abit and then wait licking their lips for their bowls to be put down....well he said they circled and then started to roll about again.....so it seems that if they start playing or getting excited it turns into a scuffle or fight.

Tomorrow Archie has his post op check & then OH has decided we need to wait for 1 week before his first myxi jab - I was going to get it done tomorrow if the vet thought it ok - but will wait 1 week. I will proabbly put Archie back in the shed if its ok for him to jump now - as he jumps onto his hutch to sit. If not - then I guess he will have to stay inside for a while.

I plan to wait till his hormones have calmed down & he has had his 2 vacs before I try bonding them all together. Do you think that by haveing him back in the shed for all this & letting my girls calm down, then introducing them into a neutral area (will sterilise the run) all at the same time would be the best option?

OR
should they be able to see each other before they are introduced?

thanks all - I feel quite tired today....:roll::lol:

Last edited:
Re the feeding bit - B&G circle each other at feeding time, but i find its better to scatter feed them, as it makes them run around looking for food and promotes foraging :) Is that a possibility for you Chelle?

Has anything changed for them to start this? Environment, however small the change may seem?

Your routine? Their routine?

Re the feeding bit - B&G circle each other at feeding time, but i find its better to scatter feed them, as it makes them run around looking for food and promotes foraging :) Is that a possibility for you Chelle?

Has anything changed for them to start this? Environment, however small the change may seem?

Your routine? Their routine?

:wave: Hey G - you super thread replier you!:lol:
Yep - scatter is def possible. I did that earlier and they both stood as high as they could on their back legs looking at me and sniffing:roll: then realised the food was on the ground....then pushed each other looking for it. Will continue to do this.:)

Yeah - alot has changed for them. Basically Master Archie has arrived....he was staying outside in the shed & even though they could probably smell him it didnt cause too much - now he has just been neutered & is staying in my kitchen - the girls are in the dining room - its open plan with a breakfast bar inbetween. So they can hear each other, smell each other Im sure, but not see each other.
Indiana has almost got to the cage to see him - he just sat there, but I stopped her & now have a board up - I was in the louge and watching but she scurried past:oops:
I plan to put Archie back outside for a few weeks to let his hormones calm down - but in the meantime he has been indoors since monday night post neuter to heal.
I am wondering if he can go outdoors tomorrow night after post op check?
Seems quite early but he will proabbly get his stiches out tomorrow...I thought they were dissolvable but it looks to me like fishing line...:?

Im wondering if he can stay outside when he has his vacs too?
Mine were indoors when they had theirs - but can he be put outside or will he need to have an eye on him for warmth & eating, pooping etc?
The other thing is he wont wee in his cage - so we have had to let him run about the kitchen until he has a wee else he just holds it - so they probably can hear him buzzing about...

Our routine is the same as in I feed the girls first - chat to them, get them to play in the lounge - but am aware that their playing sound now also sounds like a fighting sound so am worried about them abit as I dont want them to hurt themselves. Im still trying to work out who is the dominant one...why isnt there a questionaire to fill out to get the answers!:roll::lol:
Obviously the routine bit changes when they hear me with the hay bag & even if they have fresh hay I go to the kitchen & they proabbly wonder what Im doing.

Both the girls are interested in whats happening & who is there....and Archie goes mad with their smell on my clothes...or he just loves me....he wants attention alot - but the girls both calm down & act happy with binkies when i give them attention.

Girls routine: Wake, play, eat , play sleep all day - unless food is given again, dinner, snooze, wake play, eat hay , play & all over again.
Archie: wake, get horny ( i think) eat, buzz, happy hops about the kitchen, snooze, cuddles, demands cuddles, wee, hop about, wee, cage and food, sleeps unless I walk past or he see's me then wants attention, or just sleeps, dinner, wants out, hop about, wee, cage & watches all happenings in the kitchen until we go to bed, then thumps...sometimes, sleeps.

Sorry its so so long......whats bunny issues arent hey:roll::lol:

Last edited:
Back