• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the line between being a bunny lover and a hoarder?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
When you feel like maybe you have too many and people are making comments about how many rabbits you have, are you a hoarder? Even if you've given them all the vet care, space, food etc that they need?

This is a good question. I'd say if they are given space, time and vet care, it isn't a hoarder.

I think if you can still care for all your animals you aren't a hoarder,

I think a hoarder is when you have too many to cope with :wave:

I think a hoarder is when it gets too much. When someone cant cope, there isnt enough space and care might be compromised?

how do you know when you can't cope? Most days I can but like today when I'm feeling ill and my depression is really bad I feel like I can't cope with anything :cry:

how do you know when you can't cope? Most days I can but like today when I'm feeling ill and my depression is really bad I feel like I can't cope with anything :cry:

I'd say when you cant cope to the point the animals are not clean/fed/happy etc, everyone has the off day!

I'd say when you cant cope to the point the animals are not clean/fed/happy etc, everyone has the off day!

This.

A hoarder is someone who collects something for the sake of collecting.

If you can care and provide the suitable environment for an animal, its not hoarding.

A hoarder would not take a poorly animal to a vet, in my opinion.

This.

If you can care and provide the suitable environment for an animal, its not hoarding.

Well I always take mine to the vets.

I guess they have a suitable environment, I sometimes worry the 5 don't have enough room as Harvey can clear the living room in 4 hops and I know there's that 3 hop rule for a hutch.

Well I always take mine to the vets.

I guess they have a suitable environment, I sometimes worry the 5 don't have enough room as Harvey can clear the living room in 4 hops and I know there's that 3 hop rule for a hutch.

Chill. I think you're over-complicating things to yourself. You obviously have some doubts and i suspect you are trying to justify things to yourself.

This.

I'd say that a hoarder isn't always "collecting" them. They might just keep saying "one more", "just one more" until they have too many to look after. Maybe in a sense of "rescuing" them, or just adding to the numbers when you see a bun you really like.

If you can provide an animal with food, water, space, vet care and time then there is no worry. It's when you start to compromise on each bun more and more, due to numbers where it becomes a problem.

I think we all have days where we wonder why we bother. Ususally when i'm out in the shed with a stupid camping torch strapped to my head and its freezing and snowing and i've been at work all day and tidied the house and fed all the other animals and now in the dark i'm trying to clean out the shed and feed the buns and Carlisle won't even come anywhere near me and I think you ungratefull little so and so :lol:

Then he surprises me my running out when I come with food and actually allowing me to be within 2 ft of him whilst he noms and it all makes sense again.

Hoarders are people who don't cope to the point where the care is lacking. I feel like I can't cope at times but I get my head down and plod on because I have to, these guys are relying on me and that was my choice. Hoarders don't cope.

There's a difference between not coping and thinking sometimes that you can't cope.

:shock: Sorry huge ramble there :lol:

This.

Sometimes a hoarder isn't aware they are doing that, it's not a conscious decision always. It can escalate as a result of other problems.

I agree with the comments regarding vet care, meeting the needs of animals etc if the owner and the animals are healthy and happy so what if it's deemed hoarding - hoarding doesn't have to be a negative thing, if being hoarded means you are safe and loved, well looked after and happy with vet treatment when you need it - I'd say there's a few rabbits that would be happy to be hoarded. I'm a hoarder of some things like nic nacks - I can't ever get rid of it especially it was a gift - it's not always a negative.:wave:

Last edited:
Yeah I guess I wouldn't have passed home checks etc if they were worried. (not that I've had a bunny-related home check but I have for smaller furries and always show them the bunnies too :oops:)

Sometimes a hoarder isn't aware they are doing that, it's not a conscious decision always. It can escalate as a result of other problems.

I agree with the comments regarding vet care, meeting the needs of animals etc if the owner and the animals are healthy and happy so what if it's deemed hoarding - hoarding doesn't have to be a negative thing, if being hoarded means you are safe and loved, well looked after and happy with vet treatment when you need it - I'd say there's a few rabbits that would be happy to be hoarded. I'm a hoarder of some things like nic nacks - I can't ever get rid of it especially it was a gift - it's not always a negative.:wave:

:thumb: Great post! :D

I think we all have days where we wonder why we bother. Ususally when i'm out in the shed with a stupid camping torch strapped to my head and its freezing and snowing and i've been at work all day and tidied the house and fed all the other animals and now in the dark i'm trying to clean out the shed and feed the buns and Carlisle won't even come anywhere near me and I think you ungratefull little so and so :lol:

Then he surprises me my running out when I come with food and actually allowing me to be within 2 ft of him whilst he noms and it all makes sense again.

Hoarders are people who don't cope to the point where the care is lacking. I feel like I can't cope at times but I get my head down and plod on because I have to, these guys are relying on me and that was my choice. Hoarders don't cope.

There's a difference between not coping and thinking sometimes that you can't cope.

:shock: Sorry huge ramble there :lol:

I love the image of you with a camping torch strapped to your head :lol: I guess the very fact you do that means you could never be classed as a hoarder!

I think it depends on how much time you have, say you don't work and can stay at home the majority of the time I imagine you could have 10+ rabbits and give them all a lot of attention. Whereas if you work full time i think even 4 rabbits could be quite difficult.

This all depends on if you have anyone else to help out of course :)

I think if you are questioning whether you are a hoarder you probably aren't as the ones we have met have no idea thats what they are doing, they think they are providing all their pets with the perfect home :?

As long as the person can afford to pay for all of their rabbits healthcare - or can afford the insurance to cover it - and that they have a good healthy diet and a nice clean home that meets the minimum size requirements then I don't see why they should be labelled in a derogatory way, i've only got 2 buns but thats only because i can't afford or have the room for any more, like my OH says though, he dreads to think what would happen if we won the lottery :oops::lol::lol:

Everyone has off days, I know I only have two rabbits, but I also have 12 guinea pigs and three hamsters. They're alot to deal with some days, but I love them so much. I don't consider myself a hoarder, as I have the time space food etc, to care for them all. However I am drawing the line for my perosnal cicrumstances now. I will not take in anymore, untill atleast the garage is done. As we're converting it. :)

You're panicking. A couple of days ago I had an awful time one of my piggles had to be put to sleep. I was going to rehome all my animals as I felt like it was my fault. It did not matter that the lady only gave him to met he day before and that she had neglected his condition to the state where he was having seizures. It was my fault.

Don't panic, every one has off days xox

Back