• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acting strange? Need some advice.

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hi
I'm having a worried bunny owner moment that I hope is about nothing.

Jenson has just started acting odd, well, behaviour I haven't seen before. He thumped himself down and wriggled around putting his head under his blanket. Then hopped up, flopped again and started wriggling again.

It's not his usual bunny flop and I've never seen him wriggle on the ground like that.
He's also quiet. Usually he's trying to get hay out of my hand but he isn't. Earlier he was acting fine and has eaten dinner etc as usual earlier, I fell asleep and woke to this.

Am I worrying about nothing? I don't know if he's uncomfortable.

ETA
Ok, Jenson is currently nomming hay and came over to sit on me to eat a couple of pellets.
This is way more normal behaviour, thank goodness.
That said, any ideas why they wriggle into the ground like that? Is it normal or a warning sign?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you Nessar. I don't know, it was very weird and out of character for him. He's behaving much more as usual at the moment and drinking water so I'm hoping for a little "pile" as he's just munched hay so I can go to bed!

Sorry..... I'm not sure...if he's more himself now I'd be inclined to observe and monitor over the next 24/48rs to see if he does it again, if he does pop him along to a vet for a checkover....sorry not much help...glad he's nomming though :D

Is there something spilt on the ground? If the buns spill a bit of soil or hay or megazorb on our carpet, Badger will roll in it.

He loves rolling in soil especially, comes up black all over - little monkey.

Bisc is a different story, she will not get dirty for anyone!

Last edited:
Sounds similar to what Bunny Clifton was doing last week- restless and flopping in different positions repeatedly. In his case he had a very painful gassy tummy xx

The only time I have ever experienced this was when Sora had liver lobe torsion. While I'm not suggesting for a moment this is the same thing, it does sound like some level of discomfort or pain may be/have been bothering him.

If he has returned to eating, pooing & behaving completely normally then it sounds like whatever discomfort he was in has passed, although none of us here can be sure of the cause. I would keep an eye on him and make sure no further signs (however subtle) of abdominal pain appear, and if they do, get him checked out by a vet and mention the incident & behaviour of yesterday.

I do hope though that it was only a brief period of discomfort that has passed and doesn't return :wave:

Thanks everyone.
Jenson was fine after, hopped up on my lap when I sat in the run for food and all his usual behaviour after and was fine this morning and so far this evening.

Yes, I am keeping an eye on him, it freaked me right out because I'd never seen him do it before and he wasn't even that quiet after his neuter. Nothing had changed or was different. I'm thinking maybe it was wind but I don't know what could have caused it. Glad it passed as I was seriously thinking I was going to be taking him to the vet.

Back