• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fundraising- Please list some suggestions?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone give me some fund-raising suggestions that i can do myself apart from using our friends fundraising company?

I'd like to raise some money to pay for the shed i want to put up for rescue buns. It will be 20x20ft. I can't buy it yet as all my money is going directly on neutering , vaccinating and buying bowls, bottles, and new hutches and runs as bunny's come in.

Any suggestions for fundraising would be appreciated?

This shed is 20x14 and it's nearly £5000, so i have a way to go yet.
http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acatalog/diamond-20x14-barnwell-wooden-sectional-buildings.html

Thanks

Jane xx

P.s Positive constructive suggestions and comments only please.

Last edited:
How about sponsored walks? Maybe things like guessing the name of a teddy? Bag packing at supermarkets? I'm assuming you're just starting up? Apologies if you're not :oops:

Photo competitions? Enter 3 photos for a pound or something? Winner could get their photo on a mug? I've no idea how feasible these are, it's just what I could come up with :oops:

How about sponsored walks? Maybe things like guessing the name of a teddy? Bag packing at supermarkets? I'm assuming you're just starting up? Apologies if you're not :oops:

Photo competitions? Enter 3 photos for a pound or something? Winner could get their photo on a mug? I've no idea how feasible these are, it's just what I could come up with :oops:

Thanks i appreciate any help on this one as my rescue bills are just about to go up dramatically with all the new neuters, vacs etc and I'm totally self funded at the moment. As far as i know you have to be registered charity to get venues at supermarkets? Is this not correct?

Thanks i appreciate any help on this one as my rescue bills are just about to go up dramatically with all the new neuters, vacs etc and I'm totally self funded at the moment. As far as i know you have to be registered charity to get venues at supermarkets? Is this not correct?

Different supermarkets different rules in my experience

Have you tried negotiating with the vets/suppliers for discount? Then put the difference in a jar

How about watching out for free/cheap deals for photographs and have them as prizes. Most people don't know, but Virgin Media do free prints (about 60) per month. You could fill a book with photos of previous bunnies, and use them as prizes.

Warmer weather coming we could have a craftathon for you, we all send you a crafted bunny and you could sell them at fairs.

Better stil (time/location depending) You could borrow a local field (school, farmers) and organise your own, but plenty are going on during the summer for you not to have to organise it yourself. Look out for schools and churches advertising for their spring fetes, or get in touch now and register an interest.

Have you contacted the likes of burns and scratch and newton, asking for donations of prizes for future fundraising events

Try contacting local artists for donation of pieces/art in return for putting business cards on your craft fair table, prizes going into a tombola

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone these ideas are really great!

Are there any i can do at home, so that i can spend the majority of time taking care of the buns? I don't want to have to go away from home too much if i can help it.

I have negotiated a discount with the vets yes. They have been very good with me to date.

I think until you are up and running..and get known/seen to be a rescue..then you cannot really expect people to give funds to you:?

If you are neutering, then any adoption donations when a bun is homed will help
To try to start by fundraising a huge amount..is a bit of an unusual way to start
I would establish yourself first..

I think until you are up and running..and get known/seen to be a rescue..then you cannot really expect people to give funds to you:?

To try to start by fundraising a huge amount..is a bit of an unusual way to start

Ditto to this. I think £5,000 is a bit too much, and could take you a very long time to raise.

I thought you already had £5,000 from your OH anyway?

I agree.

Have you really thought all this through?

You seem to be diving head first into being a rescue, and then spend your time asking a million questions that could have been thought about beforehand. The talk all seems to be about money, huge sheds etc, and not about the rabbits :?

It all seems rather that you want to 'glory' of being a rescue, constant attention to what you're doing.

Apologies if I am wrong, but that's how you're coming across at the moment.

I agree.

Have you really thought all this through?

You seem to be diving head first into being a rescue, and then spend your time asking a million questions that could have been thought about beforehand. The talk all seems to be about money, huge sheds etc, and not about the rabbits :?

It all seems rather that you want to 'glory' of being a rescue, constant attention to what you're doing.

Apologies if I am wrong, but that's how you're coming across at the moment.

Of course i have thought things through. I just thought you may have some interesting ideas for me to take on board, which i do believe alot of people on this thread have contributed to and I'm very grateful for that.

The talk of money is primary to rescue considering the cost of taking on a pair is £330 upwards including hutch and run, not to mention bedding costs and food costs etc. I would say this is major factor to be consider in rescue.

I'm talking of large sheds in order to accommodate a need for rescue bunnies that i have already been asked to take on and to help other rescues who have waiting lists that they are unable to cope with.

I am having to say no to taking on some bunnies myself currently, because i don't have unlimited facilities in place. I think the larger shed the better in terms of providing space and care for the buns. Would you suggest something smaller?

I spend all my days caring for rabbits , i often post about regarding rabbit care. I spend most of my days speaking about bunny's. I'm not sure as to why you wouldn't be aware of this?

I'm very confused as to your comment here regarding glory- I certainly don't need glory in the accepted sense of the word - as in admiration from anyone else, but if you mean a state of absolute happiness, gratification, contentment, then you would be right in that assumption.

To me working with animals in any capacity brings me huge amounts of happiness and I'm honored to work with animals in rescue. As for desiring admiration or praise in the sense of the word glory i imagine you mean, I certainly have no desire for that.

I get all the attention and love i need from my other half and don't need to use rescue as an excuse for me to be loved and worshiped. In fact if anything i prefer to hide in the shadows and let someone else take the credit and stand in the limelight :)

I do know people who do need praise in order to get through there day- i am certainly not one of them. I praise myself enough- I've a very high value of myself in that respect and don't need someone else to tell me how great i am for me to feel better etc etc- i already love myself very much.

Of course I've got my problems who doesn't but I'd certainly not be doing rescue to fulfill any kind of need i have for admiration as you put it. It is my pure dream and desire to save and improve the welfare of animals across the country. This may seem bizarre to most people- infact it does to most of my family. They don't believe in working for a pittance with animals, but i do.

I've always felt that doing what you love and being happy is more important than wealth- although I'd love to be wealthy also. I realize this isn't something that can be achieved through working with animals. My goal in my business consultancy is to make the kind of money i need to sustain my future dreams. I can't say i love insolvency even though i have a passion for business.

I apologise if I'm being short here- I'm just tired, but when you make such comments , I'm bound to react. I'd appreciate if you were more gentle in your communications.

I asked a simple question - "please list some fund raising suggestions".

I really have no desire to hear any negative views about what you feel my character to be or why or why not you think i may be doing something. I wanted helpful constructive advice not destructive comments.

I appreciate your a highly valued member of the forum and you should use that value to give compassion towards people who are trying to make a difference rather than rip them down at the first hurdle.

You may not have realized how much you just upset me- but i assure you, you did.

Ditto to this. I think £5,000 is a bit too much, and could take you a very long time to raise.

I thought you already had £5,000 from your OH anyway?

Yes he is giving me that- it will all go to routine costs- it's £200 for a hutch and run- about £100 at the vets each time just for routine stuff then food, bedding , accessories on top, plus any meds.

It is more of a budget that can be spent throughout the year being given to me as donation. I need to have something to operate from when I'm not yet receiving any other donations.

I am also going to be raising some money through my business consultancy to contribute, but that income fluctuates and i don't want to count on it as such.

In the meantime, i am having to turn bunnies away when i have land and space to accommodate them, but no actual accommodation. It's not really fair to ask my other half for another 5k to help me. He is doing as much as he can already.

If it would take along time raising the money myself- perhaps I'd be better using the fundraising company. I know they can raise money alot faster and create a higher profile. Alternatively i could create my own fundraising company and employ staff on commission to collect for me- this is where I'm concerned about conflict of interest though.

I'm already registered as a animal rescue charity just not through the commission as of yet- they have said they will accept my new name once they receive funds.

Now I've gone away and calmed down and unfrozen the bunny bottles, I'm back. I take a moment to forgive you for what you said. I won't hold it against you- you did apologize in your post in advance.

I think that it was unnecessary to say it seems like I'm in it for the glory etc etc , but there we go we have both said our piece. I hope we can call a truce on this and forget about it and get on with the primary objective of caring for our bunnies and making sure rabbit welfare is attended too.

We are both on the same side here. I don't want to start a war with anyone. I may have been abit reactive tonight. I apologize for that x

I'm sorry if some of our comments have upset you :oops:

All people meant is that you need to start taking in rabbits and rehoming them first before you ask people for donations. That's just how all rescues start up, it really isn't a dig at you.

Start up costs don't need to be in the thousands. Even a brand new 6ft hutch can be purchased for as little as £60. Speak to some local joiners to see if they can do you a good price on hutches. If you already have stables, what about putting the new hutches in there rather than buying a new shed?

Once you start actually taking in rabbits, you may decide you don't like rescuing...best to find out now if it's something you're suited to before asking for donations.

Good luck :)

I think the main problem is you started on here asking how you make money out of a rescue( or similar)
Now, before anyone has seen you homing any animals you are asking of ways to get 5K in..this isn't the way most rescues start:?

I certainly didn't start with 5 k..about £50 to be honest:lol:
You need to take a few in..get them homed and build your reputation first, not start off trying to get money in the pot

sorry, I'm completely new to this and have no experience whatsoever in rabbit rescue, so I'm speaking from an outside point of view.

Why not spend the 5k you're getting on the shed or hutches to go in the stables, then when you get more money THEN fill the hutches. That way you won't have the running costs before you have the rabbits? Rehome what you can until then to cut down on your costs, then take more in when you have the set up you want and need?

Hi guys,

I do have the rabbits I've already started taking in. Although i haven't started coordinating the rehoming side of things yet. I am operating as a rescue sanctuary- so depending on if the animals are fit and well that come into my care, some may not be rehomed at all.

My costs have gone into the thousands already on hutches, vaccinations, neutering, and accessories, such as my last £200 shop at pets at home and other bits and bobs like lino for the hutches etc.

I am starting fundraising as i need to be able to accommodate 5 more bunnies that i have said i will take, besides the ones i have taken in and those that i have already agreed places for. The stable is not going to be enough room to accommodate these bunnies as this if for the current bunnies I've already agreed to take on. I will need additional space.

I have already outlayed so much personally. I have decided to set about fundraising myself solely in the interest of bunnies who are currently sitting in pig cages because there are no rescues who will take them. It would also be good to be able to cover some of my costs. The rehoming fees will only cover a fraction of my costs. I'm also not really receiving donations with bunnies coming in.

I am also a sanctuary for sick bunnies, so it's imperative that i do have available funds for there care. As you know the cost of a sick bunny can run into hundreds and thousands in a short space of time. Fortunately the vets are being helpful with costs however. I'm also taking the vets strays so i need to have space for emergency cases when they call me and also cruelty cases.

Any money in the company bank account goes towards the bunnies as it is non profit and shortly to be regulated by the charities commission. I do not pay myself any kind of salary- however operating as a rescue sanctuary so far is eating my money, which i don't mind, but I'd like to be able to cover some of the costs.

Thankyou for the suggestion about getting a supplier of hutches at £60. This would be very helpful as currently it's no less than £200 for a six foot hutch and run attached. I don't want to go for hutches of any lesser size than this as the bunnys welfare is of upmost concern.

I am currently having a website programmed by my other half to list bunnys for rehoming etc. I will shortly be listing on rabbit rehome also, but i have to get the bunnys that come into my care vaccinated and neutered and health checked which takes time, so it's not a case of simply taking a rabbit in and rehoming straight out.

As you know vaccinations are several weeks apart and i don't like to do neutering at the same time. I also have a quarantine proccedure to make sure the bunnys are wormed and not suffering any health problems before they are rehomed. So i really am not at the rehoming stage as of yet.

I don't think this should slow down my rescuing of bunnies. I have a space that is massive i can use for a very large shed and it would be a shame not to take bunnys in and help them when i have the available land.

It is of course a process and i don't expect to raise funds overnight. I was just asking for the best suggestions in order to do this. I can do this corporately over the phone also as i have alot of experience in dealing with businesses in this way. Perhaps i could call up businesses and get them to sponser me or even do events on behalf of the charity?

I appreciate everyone wasn't trying to upset me last night- i was just sensitive as I'd had ever so little sleep and i was up all night caring for poorly bunnys.

Thankyou so much for all your help and support on this and please forgive me if I'm a little defensive. I'm trying so hard at the moment with all this xxxxx

Sorry I didn't realise you'd already taken some rescue rabbits in. A couple of days ago you said you hadn't taken any in yet. I'm getting a bit confuzzled as to what your current situation is.

...and if you have got rescue bunnies in, we want piccies asap! :lol:

have I got it right in reading in this you've agreed to take on 5 rabbits but don't have the accomodation or funds for vets and care?

An average stable is, what, 8x12? Why is that not big enough? Put the well bunnies, bonded, into those, and use curent hutches as quarantine and for sick bunnies. Use the 5k already there for further accomodation and then once you have registered as a charity fund raise for vets fees and only THEN agree to take on more rabbits.

I understand you're trying to do your best for rabbit welfare, but without the accomodation you're going to be waiting a long time to take these bunnies in, in which time their welfare could be at jeopardy. Is it possible for you to refer them to another rescue until you have spaces?

I imagine every rescue has a cut off point where they say "no more room". Perhaps you need to do that just until you've got the funds readily available, and until you've sorted the rehoming side of things? You simply can't just keep taking them in and shelling out, there needs to be an in and out system for this to work and for you to be able to do best by the animals in your care :)

Back