• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My petplan policy just arrived... Is it worth it??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I have been debating for a while whether to get olly and honey insured, and I've finally done it... The only thing is, because they've both had vet visits already, there are certain related conditions that won't be covered :( I hope I've done the right thing and am not wasting my money, as I will still have to pay for any problems similar to what they've already had... I should have insured them as soon as I got them, but they were only babies and I thought I had a few months at least to organise it before they got ill!!! :?

if you dont think its worth it... save for a few months then cancel :D

pearls heart condition cost over 800 quid and alvin has had several emergency vets visits for stasis at about 350 quid a time.

always something waiting to go wrong with these delicate animals :(

Same with my boys - Blackie has exclusions for dental work and stasis, and Clover & Buttercup for stasis.

But I worry about them having accidents, so I think, as I don't have a large income or savings, that insurance is the best bet for me at the moment.

I personally would just save the money. I've put mine in a 30day saving account and put £40 away (should probably put a bit more in there really!). Luckily I have the security of my parents as well who will always bail me out.

Yeah I suppose... It was just that olly has only had ear problems, but the insurance won't pay out for ears, eyes, mouth/facial problems! And Honey had sore eyes once, but now won't be covered for eyes/mouth/face/abscesses ... Doesn't seem fair! :?

Yeah I suppose... It was just that olly has only had ear problems, but the insurance won't pay out for ears, eyes, mouth/facial problems! And Honey had sore eyes once, but now won't be covered for eyes/mouth/face/abscesses ... Doesn't seem fair! :?

It's only because they think there might be a higher chance of these problems occurring again. They're a business, they want to save money where possible.

If you can save a decent amount each month and have a few hundred pounds available at short notice then you might manage without insurance.

I'm broke without a steady income, so I save for Blackie's dentals, and pay insurance just in case.

Petplan coughed up for Spenser's treatment in September. They haven't told me this is now excluded - will this only happen when the policy is due for renewal? :?

Petplan coughed up for Spenser's treatment in September. They haven't told me this is now excluded - will this only happen when the policy is due for renewal? :?

it wont be... they will pay for his life if it happens again up to the max per year :wave:

Marmite had exclusions for stasis. But towards the end it was worth every penny as she ended up with glaucoma in one eye and then a year later the other. Her vets bills had been in the hundreds but I never had to worry where the money was going to come from.

I only had Milo for 6 months I had him from a breeder who didn't have him vaccinated. By the time he was it was too late, he was so poorly but as it turned out I'd paid a lot less to paypal than they had to pay out on my behalf to the vets.

I'm sure when I had marmite I was told if an ailment didn't reoccur for a year you could have it taken off of your exclusions, as long as you obtained proof from your vet. Could this still be the case?

They said they will review the exclusion on Olly's ears after 2 years :( but the other things after 1 year as long as he doesn't have the prob again during that time...

They might review them now if you send in the vetinary notes from their treatment.

It's definately worth it. You never know what new conditions they might get!

Petplan??? Gus was with them...£20 a month!!! I could get him for half that with Tescos insurance.
Scary place to be when you have lots of pets and no insurance.Save.Or a credit card for the real emergencies.

Same with my boys - Blackie has exclusions for dental work and stasis, and Clover & Buttercup for stasis.

But I worry about them having accidents, so I think, as I don't have a large income or savings, that insurance is the best bet for me at the moment.

dental problems are covered for the rest of your bunnies thne? who are you with?

Back