• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myximatosis & VHD vac question

Helf_for_ant

Young Bun
Hi all

Firstly pls don't think Im a spanner for my user name lol it was meant to read help for ant but not sure how I can change it lol That'll teach me for typing to fast.

Ok just a quick question I have 8 bunnies in total 2 Giant Continental, 2 dwarf lops, 1 netherland dwarf, 1 lion head and 2 english bunnies. When I purchased my two giants the lady advised me not to get them vacinated against Myxi or VHD as she had sold 3 bunnies in the past all of which the owners got them vacinated however all died within a few wks this was the only link that she could think of. Has anyone else had any bad experiences with the vacinations, I spoke to my vet today and she hasn't heard of anything like this in any bunnies that she has done. Shes also kindly offered to do a home visit so I don't have to make several journeys with them all bless them.

Both are such terrible Diseases I want to get them protected against them but am worried after what the breeder told me.

Any Advice would be great :)

I have 17 and all those healty enough to be vaccinated, are vaccinated. We have had a couple of immediate short term reactions (skin reactions) but nothing else.

I would think her thoughts are pure speculation and not based on any facts at all.

The only reactions mine have ever had are psychological - they are quiet and subdued for a couple of days afterwards, and myxi wise they had a lump at the site of injection after the first one.

Personally I feel the benefits outweigh any risk she may have associated with vaccination, but that's just me :)

Welcome to RU :wave:

Thanks guys

I think I'll phone the vet in the morning to discuss and arrange when she can call.

I wasn't sure if the breeder was saying it due to the fact that she doesn't believe bunnies should be handled or get used to human contact her thoughts on having bunnies are that they should be in large sheds with access to grass and outdoor areas which were lovely but they shouldn't be handled and there food should just be thrown down for them on the floor and doesn't think they should have any toys. More like wild rabbits sadly though she does breed a lovely giant my two are fab it took a while for them to get used to being handled but we got there even if I do go OTT on buying stuff like toys for all of them there great company and well worth every penny.

Getting your buns vacced will save you heartache.
A 2 week break between myx and VHD vaccs is the norm, and myxi every 6 months as its rife.
My lot are usually quiet for a day or so and perhaps a little redness at the puncture site.
Stick up some pics!! Would love to see your gang!!!!!:wave::wave::wave:

Hi all

Firstly pls don't think Im a spanner for my user name lol it was meant to read help for ant but not sure how I can change it lol That'll teach me for typing to fast.

Ok just a quick question I have 8 bunnies in total 2 Giant Continental, 2 dwarf lops, 1 netherland dwarf, 1 lion head and 2 english bunnies. When I purchased my two giants the lady advised me not to get them vacinated against Myxi or VHD as she had sold 3 bunnies in the past all of which the owners got them vacinated however all died within a few wks this was the only link that she could think of. Has anyone else had any bad experiences with the vacinations, I spoke to my vet today and she hasn't heard of anything like this in any bunnies that she has done. Shes also kindly offered to do a home visit so I don't have to make several journeys with them all bless them.

Both are such terrible Diseases I want to get them protected against them but am worried after what the breeder told me.

Any Advice would be great :)

I'm sure vaccinations are not the primary cause of many rabbits deaths. I would vaccinate for sure. It is worse to see a rabbit die from mixi because you didn't or wake up to find your bunny dead for no reason from vhd.

Bunnys do need love and attention, although some prefer not to be handled except by carrier. You need to handle daily in order to check bums are clean, trim nails etc on a month to month basis. Some bunnys are more frightened than others and being a prey animal prefer to be closer to the floor.

Getting your buns vacced will save you heartache.
A 2 week break between myx and VHD vaccs is the norm, and myxi every 6 months as its rife.
My lot are usually quiet for a day or so and perhaps a little redness at the puncture site.
Stick up some pics!! Would love to see your gang!!!!!:wave::wave::wave:

Cheers for that have phoned Vet this morning to arrange for them to be sorted.

Would love to put some pics of them all but only just joined and not really sure how lol :oops:

Back