• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question for everyone with bunnys

shadow05

Mama Doe
when u had ur first bun did u start off **** lol as in did u know that they have loads of needs. or to put it simple did u start of as **** as i did lol.

I got my first rabbit on impluse - we didnt even have a hutch. :shock: We came home and hubby had to build one on the spot (which he did). It was much bigger than any in the pet shop - although nowhere near recommended guidelines but she was a freerange bunny anyway. Worked fine for 3 years until foxes got her. :cry:

We had no idea she needed neutering or company (we thought only boys needed neutering) :oops:

She certainly didnt have as much hay as she needed and wasnt even vaccinated.

We had another one since (after so called fox proofing that didnt work).

And quite a few years later, by the time we had our 3rd bun (3rd time Lucky) we had the internet and therefore access to RU. Lucky was a learning curve! And a real eye opener!

I had a very rough idea but in reality, I knew nothing to what I know now. And what I know now is still very limited compared to some of the oracles on here :lol:

I got my first rabbit on impluse - we didnt even have a hutch. :shock: We came home and hubby had to build one on the spot (which he did). It was much bigger than any in the pet shop - although nowhere near recommended guidelines but she was a freerange bunny anyway. Worked fine for 3 years until foxes got her. :cry:

We had no idea she needed neutering or company (we thought only boys needed neutering) :oops:

She certainly didnt have as much hay as she needed and wasnt even vaccinated.

We had another one since (after so called fox proofing that didnt work).

And quite a few years later, by the time we had our 3rd bun (3rd time Lucky) we had the internet and therefore access to RU. Lucky was a learning curve! And a real eye opener!

:shock: now that uve said that i feel much better lol really rotten luck how the first two got caught by foxes makes me glad that scooter lives inside now lol

I didn't know what i know now - but i didn't believe in settling for what people thought was "ok" for them. I always believed in giving them that bit extra.

the day i got Alvin i was looking online for info.. house rabbit society pointed me in the right direction and then another bunny forum i joined kept me in the right direction.. RU isnt really for info tbh never was... i just like it here :lol:

I didnt know anything :oops: :lol:
I got my first bun while i was on holiday because he was such a cutie!! :oops: :lol:

But i was younger so my parents took care of what to feed him (Which was wrong :oops:) and my dad built the hutch!

Then he had to have a friend... a girly friend which ended up being a boy... which is Toffee :love: My mum picked him from a pet shop... she went everywhere for him :oops: :lol:

They lived indoors till the hutch was built... and Toffee had a worm inside his eye which had to be removed with a vet bill of over £500. :shock: :lol:

What did we get ourselves into :shock: :lol:

Wouldnt have changed it for the world though!

Binky Free Harvey boy :love:

:shock: now that uve said that i feel much better lol really rotten luck how the first two got caught by foxes makes me glad that scooter lives inside now lol

Now, it seems like common sense - but only because i've done the research. We bought a book when we bought her and the information in there was sooo wrong! The diet section didnt even mention hay and it said they were solitary creatures. :shock: I just trusted the book (most people did before the days of the internet) :oops:

The deaths of the first two were awful. I'll never forgive myself and it's why i wont keep mine outside. :(

I didn't know quite as much as I do now but I did a lot of research before I got them to make sure I knew how much space they needed, what they eat, common illnesses, about vaccinations and what toys they like.

I had their set up ready for them weeks before we got them, food in the bowls and everything :lol:

I got my 1st bun in August :) I'd wanted a pet for ages! I love dogs, but didn't think that would be appropriate yet as I'm in rented accom (I haven't told the landlord I have house bunnies ahah :lol:) and I'm allergic to cats... plus i'd always wanted a bunny as a child! I purchased a book on house rabbits, but then I found this website around the time I got Lewis :mrgreen: (I love to research stuff lol) The petshop advised me that the Ferplast 120 would be suitable to keep him in, even when he reached full size.... knowing nothing much about bunnies I knew this wasn't true (at the time he had the run of my parents living room anyway - the cage was just a base :thumb:). Since then, I've got him a wifeybun :love: and they pretty much have most of the house to explore! I didn't really think it would be necessary to get him another bunny until reading this site (I want a trio - but I think my bf would leave if I added anymore furry friends :lol:) RU also inspired me when advancing their set up/base, and helped me with which kinda foods to feed them on! Oo it also helped me with which vacc's to get (Lapinject for VHD) :thumb:

:wave:

All I knew was that I wanted to have him neutered and get him a friend. I didn't know about vaccinations until he got ill when he turned 1. I didn't know about diet and space until I found RU.

Molly found me, and she lived in a box in the garage for a night :oops:

It was either that or leave her on the street to get run over by a car, or caught by a fox.

But thankfully, I knew a few basic things about bunnies, and joined here the day after I found her.

Now, it seems like common sense - but only because i've done the research. We bought a book when we bought her and the information in there was sooo wrong! The diet section didnt even mention hay and it said they were solitary creatures. :shock: I just trusted the book (most people did before the days of the internet) :oops:

The deaths of the first two were awful. I'll never forgive myself and it's why i wont keep mine outside. :(

oh when u got scooter i bought loads of books and if i wasnt sure about something id check in the book first. Even then some of tht was wrong never said anything about excercise and hay.

No we didnt have everything right by any means, but had read enough and bought enough supplies to pass our homecheck and knew that we wanted to rescue, that was very important to us. We had done a lot of reading but still didnt really have big enough accommodation for two spritely and mischievous Dutch rabbits - I mean it was technically just big enough if you see what I mean, but really they wanted much bigger and we learnt that quite quickly.

I dont think I knew just how delicate they could be either.

But I also didnt know just how amazing they are and how intelligent they are and how different their personalities are and how much they light up your life.

We bought a book when we bought her and the information in there was sooo wrong! The diet section didnt even mention hay and it said they were solitary creatures. :shock: I just trusted the book (most people did before the days of the internet) :oops:

I know what you mean, I used to have this notion that if something was in a book, published as fact, it had to be true. Now I'd always go to the internet first and never totally trust something a book says.

I still have a hard time understanding how and why people publish books on animal care that are so poorly researched and just plain wrong :?

My step mum got me a huge book about pet care for all types of small animals, birds, reptiles etc and while it was a lovely thought I was quite upset reading it and seeing all the things that were either wrong or missing, knowing that someone who wanted to do the right thing and care for their pets well might spend money on a book that then teaches them bad pet care. :(

awwh i only got scooter because he was with another male rabbit and they had reached maturity without anybody knowing well all though it was at 5 months but obviously wrong anyways they had a fight and scooter was badly hurt had a huge gash in his leg and superfisual bites in other places, had a very nasty bite on his nose. the bfs parents didnt want to males that would fight constantly i could have had the nice male which was my favourite but i took pity on scooter he was shy and really needed one on one handing some one he could trust. my mom also took pity on him as well and said i could take him. which i was really happy about i really didnt want him to go to a sanctuary i didnt want him to spend ages in a sanctuary and not find a home, i was also scared that he would be put to sleep.

it still upsets me even now thinking about it. :cry:

but i have always wanted a rabbit even from a young age. i use to spend ages watching my aunties rabbits. i loved watching them and feeing them hay and carrots. :thumb:

Back