• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you rehome your rabbit?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Just wondering. If someone could provide something that you couldnt for a rabbit you loved, would you let them go to that person or be satisfied that you were doing your best? :)

I would look at what I genuinely thought was best for the rabbit and make my choices from there, but that's no different from what I do on a daily basis anyway.

Not unless the care and home I was providing was way below standard and there was nothing I could so to sort it.

I am lucky in that if I was in a situation where finances were an issue my parents would help out

If I couldn't provide them with a good life, for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate in rehoming them. If I can't give them the best care they deserve then I shouldn't have them.

Of course in reality I'd go without everything for my buns, and if I was going through an unexpected bad situation then I'd foster until I could tae them back...so hopefully it'll never get to that situation.

Not unless the care and home I was providing was way below standard and there was nothing I could so to sort it.

I am lucky in that if I was in a situation where finances were an issue my parents would help out

This. I would go through every other option before I had to rehome, it would have to be the ultimate last resort.

I think that if you cant give them what they need and it will be bad for their health (like not being able to afford vet bills) then they should be rehomed to somewhere that can give them what they need, altho it is very hard sometimes the best thing if you love them is to set them free (in the sense of giving them a new lease of life not in releasing them to the wild)

theres only one person id trust enough to look after my buns.... death is the only reason i would part with them right now. i would only rehome one if 1.a partner died and i decided not to continue with the circle personally or 2. i died and Ste wasnt able to give them what i do....

Alvin has been offered a forever home at Hopper Haven if he ever needs it and the two reasons above are the only way i would let him or Holly go.

I don't know. I hope I never have to make that decision. I hope my M.E. never gets so bad that I can't look after them, fortunately I've been able to adapt things enough the past year or two so that it is minimal effort for me. Right now I don't even need my parents help to clean them out like I have done in the past but they would help if things got tough for me. I hope I always have enough money or savings to care for their vet and food bills.

This. I would go through every other option before I had to rehome, it would have to be the ultimate last resort.

its the same with me. i adopted him when he was little and i swore to look after him might be off to a slow start but i will make everything work eventually. the way i see it is im doing better than some other people he has a large home compaired to wat he use to have. hes on a good diet of pellets and hay some times veg if i can afford or if i remeber ive got a really rubish memory lol hes got loads of toys and is about to get even more this week. hes being neutered soon too i know i should have done it ages a go. i mean i know im not perfect and ive got a lot more to learn and loads more to sort out but he will be a very happy bunny sooner or later. he might even get a wifebun in the future.

if something happened to me and i could no longer give them the care that they need and deserve (ie an extremely serious something!) then i suppose i would have to, as heartbreaking as that may be.

i am confident in the way i care for my buns currently though and i love them soooo much so i can't imaging them receiving better care elsewhere:? (sorry if that sounds conceited in any way, its not meant to at all as i'm still learning! i do feel i have a pretty good relationship/interaction with both eric and esme though:D).

its hard for me to say cause i never like to give up on some one let alone a pet but i suppose if i could no longer care for them give them their basic needs then i would step aside and let them go to a better home. dont get me wrong i love my rabbit but at the moment hes quite a pain, i know this will change and there is a good chance he will get better, but at the moment i feel like as if im beginning to hate him a bit and wondering if he would be better off some where else i know its only because im stressed about my current situation. i know things will get better eventually. but i feel bad how hes been treated this past year cause my lack of knowledge but i suppose at least i found this website and made i difference to his life already just hope i can carry on with giving him the best life possible. :(

I haven't any rabbits currently, but with animals in general, I think the big one (other than financial issues) would have to be if you were too ill to look after them adequately. So yes, hard as it would be, I think I could.

D&D are my fur children they would only be re-homed if I was terminally ill or died! I'd hope it would be a member of RU as my family aren't good enough :lol: They would come with their own bunny account which should last the rest of their lives!

my answer is no I would not rehome Dill even if I thought they could give him a better life because in my opinion,the only thing that would improve his life would be a garden for him to romp in occasionally & who knows in the future we may have one.As for B,no one can improve her life,she hates the outdoors so lack of garden isnt a problem,she has parents she adores & vice versa,& her hubby who gives her eye licks-what more could agirl want?!:lol:

its hard for me to say cause i never like to give up on some one let alone a pet but i suppose if i could no longer care for them give them their basic needs then i would step aside and let them go to a better home. dont get me wrong i love my rabbit but at the moment hes quite a pain, i know this will change and there is a good chance he will get better, but at the moment i feel like as if im beginning to hate him a bit and wondering if he would be better off some where else i know its only because im stressed about my current situation. i know things will get better eventually. but i feel bad how hes been treated this past year cause my lack of knowledge but i suppose at least i found this website and made i difference to his life already just hope i can carry on with giving him the best life possible. :(
I know exactly how you feel.We got Dill at a very difficult time,I thought he would make things better,he made it worse.I got frustrated & often thought about asking Jill if she would take him back.2 years later I'm glad we still have him,I realise now he was a baby with a bad background-2factors for bad behaviour.We were recently bereaved,had a minor operation & basically found this new bun,& old bun who was being naughty for attention,rather a handful.Lots of factors for getting ratty & wanting to rehome.Now,we are at a more stable time in our life,we gave B more attention so her behaviour got better & Dill became an adult & became a much loved member of the family.Last year my hubby left me for a while & again I thought about rehoming but I couldn't go through with it.why should my much loved babies have to find a new home just because we were going through something?Stick with it girly,youre at a downer at the mo,but things will get better & when you feel better you'll be able to cope with your mischievous bun!

Back