• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass

Alicia

Mama Doe
Sorry, more questions :lol:
When I get rabbits their hutch and run will be on concrete so that they don't dig out and nothing can dig in. They'd have hay and all the other food they need but I'd really like to give them some grass as well. Is there anytime they can't have grass, or how much/how often should I give it to them?

Mine only have grass in the summer when they are out in their runs. In the winter they live in the summer house and have endless amounts of hay!!
I dont think it is a good idea to have their permanent hutch and run on the grass as it will need to be moved regularly. Not too bad if your set up is light to carry around. Also in the winter/when it rains it will get muddy.
Personally, I would put them on concrete - easy to brush up and keep clean and have a large run on the grass for when its is dry.
I've heard of people that grow grass in trays for their buns but I've never tried it myself. Thought they eat it all in a few minutes!! :lol:

Get some lovely deep pots and plant a mixture of dandelion seeds, timothy hay grass, plantain which is all sold by The Hay Experts you can then alternate the pots.

If your rabbits are diggers you can put a layer of mesh over the top of the pot so that they can eat it down to the mesh.

Rabbits need to be introduced slowly to grass as some do develope bloat if they have not had access to it over the winter.

Get some lovely deep pots and plant a mixture of dandelion seeds, timothy hay grass, plantain which is all sold by The Hay Experts you can then alternate the pots.

If your rabbits are diggers you can put a layer of mesh over the top of the pot so that they can eat it down to the mesh.

That's what I do :)

Photo0142.jpg

Photo0182.jpg

These are a mixture of the timothy grass and the oat, wheat and barley grass seeds sold by the Hay Experts: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Grow+Your+Own.16/?osCsid=86magmhikm5qtbttanurnvc2q5

Back