• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why go in ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Recently there have been quite a few threads from folk apparently wanting to be 'talked out of' or given 'RU approval to' taking on a Rabbit seen 'when popping in to a large chain of Petshops'.

If you dont even cross the threshold of said Petshops you wont be put in the position of needing to ask RU and better still you wont be giving your hard earned dosh to a retailer trading in living,breathing, FEELING, animals.

There are loads of alternatives to that large chain of Petshops, the small independent shops who DO NOT sell livestock, FANTASTIC online retailers such as the Hay Experts.

So why not just consider not going in. 'Head in Sand' it may be, but if enough people do just that maybe we can make a difference to the THOUSANDS of Rabbits bred to 'feed' the Retail Trade.

*Disclaimer*- Yes, everyone is entitled to obtain a Rabbit from a place of their choosing. In reality it is none of Jacks-Jane's business........... ;)

I don't go into petshops, I would come out with all of said "stock" otherwise. I buy my rabbit food from the Range :wave:

Aye but there are also the likes of my who can't purchase online, two small kids, no car and only closest animal petshops are a small family one with guineas and buns together and then P@H thats in a half hour walk each way.
Sadly sometimes we have no choice but to go into them. If I didn't have to I wouldn' and I'm sure many others wouldn't too :wave:

I'm guessing this has come from my thread. I go in for food, as my pets are ALL on P@H own brand food.

I don't go into petshops, I would come out with all of said "stock" otherwise. I buy my rabbit food from the Range :wave:

Yep, I resolved never to go into that large Petshop chain again as nothing changes for the better. I refuse to fund their practices.

I cant shop online because i am not in to take deliveries - i can only buy the feed my two has from a pet shop that sells livestock - i hate it and now buy in bulk to cut out the number of visits (as well as profit they make as it's cheaper :twisted: ) - there isnt another shop for miles around that sells SS.

I go in and dont look around, get what i need and leave.

I will not ever buy a pet from a petshop as long as i shall live.

I avoid as best I can, and when needs must try to send my parents. I try not to look at bunnies for sale, and don't even know where the adoptio bit is - it would just upset me and I'm not in a position to take on another bunny yet.

I need to go there for my litter.
I do look at the bunnies when i am in, but i wouldnt get any more. My two are plenty much when i am working full time.

But some people like me can walk into a petshop for years and never have the urge until one day. I have never been in a petshop since i got peanut (which yes he was from a petshop but i actually went there to buy him before i knew about rescues) ......and thought "i cant leave him behind".

I go into pet shops because sometimes i need something straight away, and sometimes online postage is so much, but...... then im not the kind of person to post asking for approval or to be talked out of it, i would either do it or i wouldnt, i wouldnt really be bothered about what anyone thought, that isnt in disrespect, but if i was looking for a rabbit i would go a rescue, but i certainly wouldnt ask here what people thought, its far too pot kettle black.

Some people can post repeatedly about their new baby rabbit and its not even an issue nobody ever says a word, so brazenly not bothered. Then, someone comes along and says "oo shall i" and because there is a hint of doubt everyone goes mad and gets all holier than though.

Yes i would always go to a rescue, but if someone wants to go into a petshop and get a rabbit I really am past caring now, because people will do what they want to do at the end of day and its none of my business.

I just have a real belief that the ONLY way to prevent the ongoing welfare issues involved with selling Rabbits in shops is to hit the shops where it hurts-ie their profit margin.

Obviously if there really is no alternative then you cant help that. But I would have thought that the majority of people could find an alternative if they really tried.

i avoid if i can but if i do venture in, i go in 'blinkered' get what i need and leave without viewing livestock. it is far too upsetting and i spend hours worrying where the poor wee ones will eventually end up. :cry:

I also would never shop in P@H because they are the pet shop leaders that other pet stores look up to and they therefore should be paving the way for animal welfare if they really cared about animals and not profits. But seeing as they are profit based, and really dont give a :censored: then the only time i'd enter the store is to leave a big pile of steaming poo to demonstrate my dislike of them :thumb:

Obviously if there really is no alternative then you cant help that. But I would have thought that the majority of people could find an alternative if they really tried.

Yip, thats true, i am waiting on the litter to come back in stock in Wilko's and i will be stocking up :)

I also would never shop in P@H because they are the pet shop leaders that other pet stores look up to and they therefore should be paving the way for animal welfare if they really cared about animals and not profits. But seeing as they are profit based, and really dont give a :censored: then the only time i'd enter the store is to leave a big pile of steaming poo to demonstrate my dislike of them :thumb:

:lol:

I guess I am lucky pellets and veg come from asda and hay and megazorb from a local horse place :D All buns are rescues except B and C who are from a backyard breeder before I knew any better :(

To be honest B and C are the hardest new rabbits I have ever had, they werent vaccs so I had to get that done at a cost of $30 per rabbit they were horrible teenagers and ripped me and each other to shreds until they were spayed at a cost of $50 per rabbit. So really from a cost point of view it makes more sense to go to a rescue :D

It's a good point Jane. I would never buy a bunny from a pet shop. However as you probably know, Sprocket ad Widget came from the vets in PaH in Norwich. I honestly do not know if they were originally stock or if they were handed in (our PAH do both I believe). They were not in the adoption centre but were kept in the consulting room at the vet. Widget had had a prolapsed rectum when she was a baby, they were not sure at the time whether to PTS but the vet gave her a chance and spayed her at the same time as her op for that. Sprocket was a snuffly bun so was neutered and they were paired up. Our local PAH support PACT, the adoption donation I paid went in full to PACT. Therefore, I feel like I've effectively adopted from a rescue and in doing so have saved PACT the job of having to rehome two bunnies and they get the donation money to spend on other needy buns in their care.

Since the vet there knows their history and is a good vet and th vet nurses all looked after and loved my buns we have stayed with them in preferene for finding another vet. Occasinally we stop by the treat aisle for them on the way out from a treatment, but we get the majority of our feed from Ken's who don't sell bunnies, giant pet store or online. :D

I go in Pets At Home quite a lot, but I'm not someone who would post for approval or to be talked out of something. I doubt I would ever bring home an animal from there because I don't really look at them, but if it did it would be a very needy and sick one that I knew I needed to help.

I go because the litter there is the cheapest place I can find to buy what I need, also, if I have an 'emergency' and need to get a variety of hays to tempt a bunny, or to get Panacur, or to get a variety of herbs to tempt a bunny then its the easiest and smartest place for me to go to (the other option is far more horrific than Pets At Home and I avoid that unless I ahve no choice for my own bunnies sake).

I talk to a lot of people in Pets At home though, I'm that annoying busybody. Also, the staff seem pretty decent and its pretty common for one member in particular to ask me rabbit care questions, so if I can educate people and help people whilst I'm there, what better way to reach people.

We have no choice as our vets are a Companion Care at the back of the store so you have to walk through the entire store to get to the vets. Sometimes we walk past the rabbits and sometimes we go down another aisle - whichever has the less traffic usually because all we are interested in is getting to the vets the other end, we just don't stop to look anymore and the ONLY thing we ever buy is a bag of carefresh if we're running really low, otherwise ALL rabbit related items are purchased online from responsible, caring retailers! :D:wave:

I try and avoid going in if I can help it, but I'm limited on transport and the local pet shop sells the nicest green hay and isn't too bad.

On Monday I had to go into the local pet shop and they had the most beautiful tri-colour Dutches :love::love::love: and I still came away with just my pellets and my hay.

However I came away from P@H with Lucy after vowing never to buy an animal from a pet shop again because I just knew she was 'my' rabbit. There's a difference between seeing a cute bunny and seeing 'your' bunny.

I think you're so right in what you're saying Jane, that if they stop profitting from it they'll stop selling bunnies, but I always think we're in the minority of pet shop shoppers :(

I know it's a bit of a defeatist attitude but there are so many more people who buy from pet shops who get a hamster, the kid gets sick of the hamster they get a guinea pig, the kid gets sick of the pig they get a rabbit, there are so many more of them than there are of us :( so I don't see how us boycotting can make a huge difference.

I go in quite frequently. Mainly just to look at the bunnies, but im very strong willed. If there was a sick one, i'd pick up on it, but apart from that, i only go in to get emergency hay or something like that. Occasionally, if they have an offer on a product i frequently buy, i won't avoid their store, just because they sell animals, as it will save me money.

Back