• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question regarding my baby rabbits.

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
they are currently just over 5 weeks old and yesterday one of the rabbits was humping all the others...why is this???
also i was wondering when i should seperate them from mum???
she seems very attached to them still...i'm not going to remove them just yet...but on the internet some people say 6 weeks some 7 weeks and some 8 weeks so which one is right???

they are currently just over 5 weeks old and yesterday one of the rabbits was humping all the others...why is this???
also i was wondering when i should seperate them from mum???
she seems very attached to them still...i'm not going to remove them just yet...but on the internet some people say 6 weeks some 7 weeks and some 8 weeks so which one is right???

Mine have started humping too, don't worry about it. Please don't seperate until 8 weeks as it will be detrimental to the babies.

your always come to my rescue :D lol
thanks i was thinking not to seperate them till 8 weeks but...then i read stuff on internet and got a little cofused.

There are some reasons to separate before 8 weeks, but I don't think this is one of them. That's normal bunny behaviour. The baby might be learning it from mum or its hormones might be developing early. Just check every day to ensure it doesn't have testicles. Its unlikely to develop this early, but I do know of a seven week odl who got his mum pregnant, so its always worth keeping an eye to prevent that.

:shock:

really...i never knew they couldget their mum pregnant that young.
its just one of the rabbits humping all the other babies.

:shock:

really...i never knew they couldget their mum pregnant that young.
its just one of the rabbits humping all the other babies.

Funnily enough, I've found peeling mine off and telling them a stern 'no' has helped... I'm in every day and in constant view of the buns and they've not done it again... Hehe.

There are some reasons to separate before 8 weeks, but I don't think this is one of them. That's normal bunny behaviour. The baby might be learning it from mum or its hormones might be developing early. Just check every day to ensure it doesn't have testicles. Its unlikely to develop this early, but I do know of a seven week odl who got his mum pregnant, so its always worth keeping an eye to prevent that.

OMG that is worrying :shock: I am fostering a mum and her four 6 week old babies, I would be devastated if that happened!

On some information I've read it says not to seperate before 10-12 weeks :? as the babies can feed until they are 10 weeks old?

OMG that is worrying :shock: I am fostering a mum and her four 6 week old babies, I would be devastated if that happened!

On some information I've read it says not to seperate before 10-12 weeks :? as the babies can feed until they are 10 weeks old?

They possibly can feed until 10 weeks old but as they can be sexed younger, I would seperate at 8 weeks. I'd hate to have a doe impregnated by her own son. I plan on leaving my females with Pumpkin but at 8 weeks, immediately seperating the boys. This way, she won't be shocked by the sudden disappearance of babies but will not have the chance to be impregnated again.

The average healthy baby can be separated at 8 weeks, but vulnerable ones should be left longer (if appropriate).

It can be risky to leave them longer, but can be done with careful supervision. With my mum and her kits, by the time they got to 10 weeks old (and i tried to keep her with her daughter), she was a hormone ball and desperate to mate again.

Its a fine balancing act and, like everything else, there are 'rules' and knowing when to bend them is important too.

hi what breed are your buns? the smaller the rabbit the quicker they hit sexually maturity, my rexes started doing this at around 5 weeks but it was a female one that was doing it, i dunno if you have sexed yours yet (you can do this from 5 weeks sometimes from birth but that take to much skill for me) but it tends to be the females that start humping first :lol:

Back