• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Rabbits For Meat Very Angry!!

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
I am sooooo :censored::censored::censored: angry!!!!!!!!

Simon's boss who is a very close friend of ours, was round at ours last night and decided to tell us 'rabbit lovers' about his brothers plans for breeding New Zealand Whites for meat :evil::evil::evil:

We both flipped our lids :evil:

He seemed to think that his brother would give them a 'good life' before he slaughters them as he already has a massive list of animals. Just because he has loads of animals doesn't mean he looks after them well!!!!

Is this illegal??

What do I do?? :cry:

ETA: It gets me so angry after reading about how rescues have gone out of there way to help buns get the best life possible and be loved and then people like this obviously don't give a :censored: about them and go breeding them for food

Last edited:
I don't think it's illegal, no.

Personally I couldn't do it, but I think as long as the rabbits have a healthy, happy life beforehand (in the right housing, plenty of space etc) then I don't have a problem with other people doing it.

Of course, if the bunnies live a miserable existence up until the point they're killed then that's a different matter entirely.

It was very insensitive to tell you though, as it's pretty obvious you would have found it upsetting, being a bunny owner yourself.

No, it's not illegal...

I agree, I'd rather they were bred by someone who cared about their welfare whilst they were alive...

I don't think it's illegal, people do it with cows, pigs, chickens, ducks etc I just think because it's a rabbit it seems more wrong as they are such a common pet, it's the same with horse and dog meat isn't it, we all recoil at the thought of it but in France and Korea respectively they think nothing of eating those meats.

I personally would have been upset too though to have heard that and it was insensitive to have told you of all people!

I don't think it's illegal, no.

Personally I couldn't do it, but I think as long as the rabbits have a healthy, happy life beforehand (in the right housing, plenty of space etc) then I don't have a problem with other people doing it.

Of course, if the bunnies live a miserable existence up until the point they're killed then that's a different matter entirely.

It was very insensitive to tell you though, as it's pretty obvious you would have found it upsetting, being a bunny owner yourself.

I see what you are saying and i have always had this opinion too and it's the reason that I buy free range eggs and free range meat etc but it just really upset me after seeing those bunnies from PACT that were being bred for meat :cry:

I'm probably getting a bit too worked up about it but he was telling me that he was going to kill them with his own hands and how can anyone genuinely care enough about the buns to research there diets, behaviour and needs if they have the ability to kill them like this?

It's just hard to believe that these buns would have a decent life before they die... thank you for your reply KarenM xxx

Thank you for all of your replies, I think i will just have to try to forget about it :(

Abd yes it was insensitive of him but I think he did it on purpose to annoy me (he tends to do this a lot)

It comes down to whether you are emotionally attached to the species or not. I can't eat rabbit or hare any more for that very reason. If however a person is keeping livestock, it makes good sense to give that animal the best quality of life possible. It's basic good animal husbandry and I just see it as common sense.

Still a little insensitive to bring it up over dinner as it were.

I see what you are saying and i have always had this opinion too and it's the reason that I buy free range eggs and free range meat etc but it just really upset me after seeing those bunnies from PACT that were being bred for meat :cry:

I'm probably getting a bit too worked up about it but he was telling me that he was going to kill them with his own hands and how can anyone genuinely care enough about the buns to research there diets, behaviour and needs if they have the ability to kill them like this?

It's just hard to believe that these buns would have a decent life before they die... thank you for your reply KarenM xxx

As well as how they are treated whilst alive, this is the bit that I would very concerned about. HOW an animal is killed matters & makes a HUGE difference.

It comes down to whether you are emotionally attached to the species or not. I can't eat rabbit or hare any more for that very reason. If however a person is keeping livestock, it makes good sense to give that animal the best quality of life possible. It's basic good animal husbandry and I just see it as common sense.

Still a little insensitive to bring it up over dinner as it were.

hmmm.. ok this does makes sense, I'm slowly calming down now

It seems incomprehensible to us I suppose because we couldn't imagine doing it to one of our own beloved bunnies. But I do think it's possible to care about an animal AND be able to kill them (humanely of course) as well..... still not something I could do myself though.

Whether this person does actually keep the bunnies in humane conditions remains to be seen of course. I doubt you could dissuade them from doing it if their mind is made up, but they may just change their minds when the time to 'do the deed' actually comes.

If the bunnies do end up being kept in sub-standard conditions, then I wouldn't hesitate to report him - does the RSPCA still have jurisdiction if they're livestock as opposed to pets?

No it's not illegal (although I think it should be) also if he is breeding them for meat rabbits he will only be required to meet Defra regulations for housing them etc - this is where I have a problem, I think it's wrong to have 50 rabbits stacked up one on top of another in 2-3ft hutches, the urine from the top ones drips down the back of the hutches so the ones at the bottom get a really poor deal.

Because they are bred for meat they very often don't get exercised or toys or interaction/affection - I also have a problem with the culling at home because I feel someone should have to at least have a training course on it and demonstrate an ability to do it before being allowed to go it alone.

If it's to sustain human life like an African village I can cope with it, to have a choice of meat that is 'home grown' is fine providing all the requirements for the animals welfare are being met and there is a clear ability to cull them properly. Actually the wastage from culling rabbits for meat is massive, they aren't a cost effective animal to eat in my opinion. I also reserve judgement about the animals being kept in 'farmed' conditions in a back garden being better off that animals in a 'supermarket' type shed set up - for me there is very little difference and it's all completely unnecessary, what next cat and dog meat - I think not - this is the UK and the sooner people accept that rabbits make fabulous pets, they are the UK's 3rd most popular pet and that it's socially not acceptable to be eating them the better for me, there is already an enourmous amount of meat available to eat, there's no need for it and if someone really has the desire to do it then they should afford the rabbits better conditions than 'battery chickens' in terms of housing and conditions which sadly is how most do keep them.

completely agree.

ETA: perhaps I could find out more about it

This bit is generally 'necking' they hold the back legs stretch the rabbit out and twist upwards I beleive breaking the neck - then they obviously skin it and butcher it.

I would agree with trying to find out more about it. I think its natural to presume the worst, but just because some people do carry out the worst, not everyone does.

If a rabbit has a good life (good accommodation, space, loe, good diet, fresh water, etc) and is humanely killed then that is what matters the most.

On the topic of killing, I think you can kill even if you love the animal. There have been people on here who have allowed animals to be free from their suffering. I would hope that if I had no other choice, that I would be able to do that too for the sake of the rabbit.

That's a slightly different issue, but it is related because people can care and kill. Killing does not necessarily mean cold heartedness.

I would agree with trying to find out more about it. I think its natural to presume the worst, but just because some people do carry out the worst, not everyone does.

If a rabbit has a good life (good accommodation, space, loe, good diet, fresh water, etc) and is humanely killed then that is what matters the most.
On the topic of killing, I think you can kill even if you love the animal. There have been people on here who have allowed animals to be free from their suffering. I would hope that if I had no other choice, that I would be able to do that too for the sake of the rabbit.

That's a slightly different issue, but it is related because people can care and kill. Killing does not necessarily mean cold heartedness.

For all of 3 months - rabbits generally culled for meat don't make it past 3 months.

I also think that being able to kill anything - does require an amount of 'detachment' it's not coldness it's a detachment from emotions though, most slaughtermen will admit it and probably why there aren't many women slaughtering animals - to dress it up as perfectly natural is to suggest we are still savages - in the day's of cavemen etc yes of course people killed to survive - it's now 2011 to make that choice for me is quite detached and demonstrates a certain amount of contempt for what is deemed 'socially' acceptable.

Interestingly as I said on another thread, I've done my own research on this in my area and have yet to find a butcher that sells rabbit meat or anyone who eats rabbit meat, in fact everyone I've spoken to including older meat eaters have said 'no I've eaten it after the war' but, I couldn't do it now, there is no need.'

ETA - the reason most farmers prefer to use slaughterhouses isn't only practicality - they are unable to raise their animals then cull them, it most definately requires a person who is detached from emotion, for this reason farmed rabbits are denied one of the biggest things we know our rabbits enjoy which is company and affection, the person culling cannot become emotionally involved with the animals, the really confusing thing for me is people who keep pet rabbits and meat rabbits - fathom the mindset there because I can't.

Last edited:
Rabbit doesn't even fetch that much at the butchers, so why would someone bother will all the upkeep, breeding etc, when you only get £4 TOPS for a dead rabbit? (rabbit round here is £5 each).

One would assume, that if he is breeding for the food chain, in this country, he would need to pass certain DEFRA checks, is he aware of this?

Most rabbit available in the butchers is wild, so exempt from food standards palava, but I think if you're breeding and keeping for that purpose you would need to passport, vet, and have certain living conditions. I know this is true of MOST animals. In which case, the return for these rabbits wouldn't be worth getting out of bed in the morning, surely?

I confess, I have shot (and eaten) wild rabbit. But in the farming community rabbits are viewed as vermin and totally different scenario from eating domestic rabbits. I adore rabbits, and am all for welfare of even a wild rabbit. A wild rabbit has run free, filled it's belly with corn and led a good life. Rules is rules, never shoot a young rabbit, and always always shoot a sick rabbit and leave it in the hedgerow for the animal food chain. In my opinion, anyway.

Hmm, not sure where I said it was perfectly natural.

I just said the two don't have to be totally separate.

Yes, I think you do have to be able to detach, but in the example I was using (which I did say was different) people have killed for the sake of the animal- for example a wildie who has been badly hit by a car who wouldn't cope with or maybe make it to the vets.

I don't know how long meat rabbits live for, but even if its three months they still deserve a good life and even if it is only for three months, that's far better than suffering. Yes, three months is no length of life, but quality over quantity is important, in my eyes.

I know you didn't say that you thought it was natural but, you were implying that it's not unusual or that difficult and that people are generally 'normal' and yet able to cull animals - I think thats wrong, I don't think it's brave and anyone culling a road accident animal needs to be very careful that the animal is beyond repair before doing it, I would call out a vet or take the animal to a vet and thats not because I'm squeamish even it's because I would always wonder if I'd extinguished life unnecessarily. Any animal injured badly enough to be fatal won't last very long at all and is probably in shock or coma like state anyway so not feeling much pain even if it appears to be alive.

I completely agree with you about the rabbits deserving a good life for the 3 months prior to culling, sadly anyone raising meat rabbits aren't concerned about that aspect IMO.

For all of 3 months - rabbits generally culled for meat don't make it past 3 months.

I also think that being able to kill anything - does require an amount of 'detachment' it's not coldness it's a detachment from emotions though, most slaughtermen will admit it and probably why there aren't many women slaughtering animals - to dress it up as perfectly natural is to suggest we are still savages - in the day's of cavemen etc yes of course people killed to survive - it's now 2011 to make that choice for me is quite detached and demonstrates a certain amount of contempt for what is deemed 'socially' acceptable.

Interestingly as I said on another thread, I've done my own research on this in my area and have yet to find a butcher that sells rabbit meat or anyone who eats rabbit meat, in fact everyone I've spoken to including older meat eaters have said 'no I've eaten it after the war' but, I couldn't do it now, there is no need.'

ETA - the reason most farmers prefer to use slaughterhouses isn't only practicality - they are unable to raise their animals then cull them, it most definately requires a person who is detached from emotion, for this reason farmed rabbits are denied one of the biggest things we know our rabbits enjoy which is company and affection, the person culling cannot become emotionally involved with the animals, the really confusing thing for me is people who keep pet rabbits and meat rabbits - fathom the mindset there because I can't.

I'm the daughter of a farmer, and the reason most farmers use slaughter houses is because of the cost involved with slaughtering themselves, rules, regulation, hygene etc. Perhaps my upbringing has given me this detatchment as I have no emotion when it comes to cattle, sheep, pigs or chickens. Even my horses - are just livestock at the end of the day. I have one, who is elderly and served us well over the years, and I have emotion in him, but the others - I do not pander to them as I would my 'pets'.

I know how to kill animals, and have done so. I don't know 'how' i detatch myself. I am a very emotional person when it comes to my pets, but somewhere, deep down, I know when an animal is for meat and something blocks the feeling there. I'm not cold. I think I over compensate the other way with my pets, treating them almost like children. they even have birthday present and cards :oops: which my family thinks is hilarious. But i know this to be the case of many gamekeepers and people who work in farming. My family is passionate about animal welfare too, my father is a total sucker and complains loudly if he sees anyone mistreat an animal, even an animal on it;s way to be slaughtered. But on the flipside he has shot one of his own dogs, for it;s own welfare.

I think you either have this ability to 'switch off' or you don't.

Back