• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What makes a rescue... a 'rescue' ?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I know there are several of us on here who have adopted or saved rabbits, but what is the difference between a person who saves rabbits and an actual rescue?

ETA: as in someone becomes a 'rescue centre' and takes in unwanted pets and isnt just someone who takes in unwanted pets.... you know what I mean? I have taken in unwanted pets many times, but I am not a rescue centre.... is it size?? Frequency?

Last edited:
I guess you have to decide that is what you are and state it. We took in animals for many years but it was only a couple of years ago, after being in the paper for having a lot of fosters that we realised we were rescuers. When we decided to stop fostering, for various reasons, we decided to become a sanctuary because we were left with lots of animals nobody else wanted.

I know I am not a rescue but for us it was when we went from doing what we do privately to doing what we do publically. You would not believe the difference it made and not always in a good way :?

It has to be run like a business with accounts and paper work, because you are "out there" everyone thinks they can have a "piece of you" and tbh your life no longer becomes your own. Most rescues also offer advice and other services. And because you are asked to take in more and more and you don;t want to let people/bunnies down you have to start concentrating of fundraising to help as many as you can which is so difficult :?

I guess you have to decide that is what you are and state it. We took in animals for many years but it was only a couple of years ago, after being in the paper for having a lot of fosters that we realised we were rescuers. When we decided to stop fostering, for various reasons, we decided to become a sanctuary because we were left with lots of animals nobody else wanted.

That's heartbreaking. and selfless.

I dont know the answer to the OP but maybe it's the point where it stops being because you want to take on more pets but at the necessity of homing the animals you are left with? i really dont know. :(

Do you mean like what makes an adoption a rescue, or what makes a rescue centre compared to a person? :wave:

I think an adoption becomes a rescue when the rabbit is being kept in completely unsuitable circumstances and being mistreated/neglected. I think of mine as being rescues as they were toys to an 18month old. Sadly it took the mother 2 months to realise that rabbits aren't good pets for 18month olds!

I think a rescue becomes a rescue when they start requiring help from others not just with donations but with care as well. They would also advertise themselves more.

the thing that really started us on the way to becoming a sanctuary.

S5030385.jpg

S5030386.jpg

I always think of a 'rescue' as a place that takes in rabbits that are unwanted/need new homes/need treatment etc and then re-homes them.

A place that takes in animals that would be difficult to rehome for some reason is a sanctuary

Someone like me who has rabbits that come from other rescues and also some that have come direct to me as strays or unwanted buns (and which could theoretically be rehomed but I have never tried to rehome) is just an owner! Also known as a 'soft touch for buns' :roll::roll:

If we leave aside the question as to what constitutes a 'good' rescue from a 'bad' rescue, I would say that the key point of "a rescue" is that it acts as a transit point between where it needs rescuing from, and its new home. Whereas loads of us here have rescued animals, but have kept them as our own pets.

I think there's a fine line between someone who occasionally rescues and rehomes a rabbit and 'a rescue' though...when does one become the other? To a certain extent I think it's just semantics because the mechanics are the same...it's probably more to do with the scale of rescuing and how public it is.

(ETA - what Parsnipbun said :lol: )

We rescue or take in unwanted or special needs buns but we don't rehome we keep them all as we can't part with them and when one goes to the bridge we usually will give a home to another, most are from Bunny Burrows but I have been taking in unwanted or rescue buns for 26 years, of course it's getting harder now as I'm getting older but I can't imagine my life without bunnies in it :)

We rescue or take in unwanted or special needs buns but we don't rehome we keep them all as we can't part with them and when one goes to the bridge we usually will give a home to another, most are from Bunny Burrows but I have been taking in unwanted or rescue buns for 26 years, of course it's getting harder now as I'm getting older but I can't imagine my life without bunnies in it :)

So are you a 'sanctuary' because you dont rehome? (I wouldnt be able to rehome either... :shock: :oops: )

Back