• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about newly spayed bun-buns

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
I'm getting quite worried about my two buns who wee both spayed this morning; they're not wanting hay, food or treats (they'd normally come charging as soon as I rattle the treat tub). They've both had small sips of water, and I've just fed that sachet/water mix with a syringe (never done that before so Cookie had lots round her little face, bless her). Cookie has wee'd on a towel, and Poppet went in the litter tray but made some noises so I think it hurt her... ...but no poos. The vet gave me some Meloxidyl to give them in the morning. Is this what usually happens?? How long before I should think something is *wrong*?

Some buns eat straight away and some take some time. Do you have any veg or fresh herbs that you can offer them? They usually start eating them before they eat their normal food or hay. It can take them a couple of days to get back to their pellets.

I would keep offering food and water throughout the night, and give them fresh veg/herbs every few hours, rinsed under cold water so they get some fluid, and let them rest tonight.

If they are still not eating anything by tomorrow I would get in touch with the vet.

Our little girl was spayed and she didn't come around for about 24 hours. She slept lots and we had to syringe feed her critical care. It is essential that you have pain meds. Our vets gave us 5 days worth for her and it helps with the pain so they can get their appetite back. It's a pretty big operation so does do take longer to get back to themselves. Good luck! :love:

Thanxx for replies, it's much appreciated as I have no experience of this.

I have offered favourite herbs (parsley and coriander) but they are not interested. Poppet has had a tiny nibble of apple and pear, but Cookie doesn't want any. They don't want hay, or muesli, or pellets, or dried dandelion, or treats... We're going down to garage to see if they have any celery - the girls usually like that.

I asked the vet about painkillers, and was given a bottle of Meloxidyl - is that pain killers? I'm to syringe it for four days.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Meloxidyl is a painkiller. My vet uses that instead of Metacam.

Are your girls due a post op check at all?

My two girls were quiet for the first 24 hours but then progressed well after that. Try not to worry but as others have said give the vet a call if there is no improvement by the morning. They will be sore and sleepy and feeling sorry for themselves at the moment.:(

They're booked in for a check up on Friday (21st) and another on the 28th, but they said I should come back before then, if I was worried about them not healing properly.

It is a big op for them.

I found marmite was more thirsty than hungry throughout the night.

I think it can shake them up a lot initially and if you've got some syringe feed in them that's some fibre, vitamins and water to keeps their digestion going.

I don't know about it being the case in rabbits but anaesthetic can take a while to leave a human's system properly.

Yes, that's true. I've had ops that've left me completely drained - but us humans can say what we want/need... I shall go give 'em a little lovin' now.:love:

I'd say it's pretty normal for them to be drowsy and not want to eat at the moment - I'm sure you'd be reluctant to do much the same day you had a hysterectomy even if you did have a brilliant surgeon and the best painkillers!

I would just leave them alone somewhere warm-ish and quiet, with plenty of tasty, tempting foods and a bowl of water (buns often prefer a bowl to a bottle post-op) and hopefully they'll be feeling a bit better in the morning. It's great that your vet has given you some painkiller to keep giving (yes meloxidyl is the same drug as in metacam) as many don't!

Good luck xx

Cookie is very unwell...:( Thanxx for asking.

OH has taken her to the vets (they are there right now) and I'm waiting for an update. Syringed the buns thru the night, and whilst Poppet is now making an effort to eat by herself, little 'un just wants to lie down in a corner. :cry:

Sorry to hear Cookie is unwell :(.

I hope that she gets on OK at the vet and maybe just needs longer to recover.

Keep us updated :wave:

Aw hope shes okay. My girls need spaying but I've always been to scared too because it is a big operation. Lets us know how she gets on at the vets.

Vet was quite happy but concerned little 'un isn't eating still; gave her an injection to get her tummy working. I've syringe-fed her, and she's resting now. I'll sleep in the front room with her, and feed and water her every hour/two hours. We're going back to vet on Friday.

Back