• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasturella prevention?

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi, I realise that clean living conditions, etc., may help prevent pasturella developing, but has anybody any other ideas on how to prevent it. Also, if most bunnies actually have it, or are carriers at least, why do they go on about how contagious it is?:? (i.e. the chances are they carry it anyway, so you can't really avoid it).

Last edited:
When I was speaking to my vet about Mischa's pasteurella I said that I kept the windows open and recommended I keep them closed most of the time and open them up a couple of times a day to freshen the room. I guess this helps reduce the exposure maybe?

I don't really know but I'll keep an eye on this thread cos I'd like to.

When I was speaking to my vet about Mischa's pasteurella I said that I kept the windows open and recommended I keep them closed most of the time and open them up a couple of times a day to freshen the room. I guess this helps reduce the exposure maybe?

I don't really know but I'll keep an eye on this thread cos I'd like to.

Oh that's interesting - my two are house bunnies and I suppose I don't open the windows too much because I'm worried about them being in a draft!:?

He seemed to suggest that that's best, to keep them closed and just open them for a few minutes each day.

Generally I think keeping the rabbit's immune system as good and as strong as possible is the most important, so good diet, good exercise and accomodation, clean living area, prompt vet attention if necessary, minimal stress, stuff like that. Initially it tends to become a problem if the rabbit is 'run down' in some way, and then is likely to remain something that rears its head on and off.

Keeping a bunny in peak health would be a big factor in preventing pasturella becoming active in a bunny- this is not always possible though.

I think that some bunnys are naturally more nervous/stressed/fearful than others and prone to develop pasturellosis. I think stress is a large factor in if it becomes active or not.

I really think it's unavoidable because it's so easily transfered- like EC, on your clothes, hands etc- any form of contact and it can survive for weeks. It is such a hardy bacteria.

Keeping a bunny in peak health would be a big factor in preventing pasturella becoming active in a bunny- this is not always possible though.

I think that some bunnys are naturally more nervous/stressed/fearful than others and prone to develop pasturellosis. I think stress is a large factor in if it becomes active or not.

I really think it's unavoidable because it's so easily transfered- like EC, on your clothes, hands etc- any form of contact and it can survive for weeks. It is such a hardy bacteria.

This is the trouble I suppose - you could pick it up anywhere and transfer it.

I'm amazed to hear you say stress. I think Mischa is the most laid back bunny ever :shock:

Also, if most bunnies actually have it, or are carriers at least, why do they go on about how contagious it is?:? (i.e. the chances are they carry it anyway, so you can't really avoid it).

They tend not to go on about how contagious it is these days, for that very reason! It seems to have become more well known that it is almost ubiquitous in the bunny population, to such an extent that when pasteurella-free rabbits are needed for scientific research, they have to get them from specially bred aseptic colonies which are certified pasteurella free.

In my experience, most pasteurella problems are secondary to something else (such as tooth root overgrowth, e.cuniculi etc), so the flare up is caused by the other problem rather than as a problem in itself. So sometimes it may be possible to keep the immune system strong by clean accommodation, minimising stress, ensuring a good amount of air circulation etc (I suspect this is why the vet advises an open window - to ensure there is no opportunity for stale, damp air to lurk around), or minimising tooth root problems by feeding a diet high in long fibre (hay). But sometimes it's just the luck of the draw!

It's a :censored: to deal with as well, because it tends to lurk and create abscesses which means that antibiotics often can't get to the deepest infection meaning that recurrences are common if a bun has had pasteurella problems before.

I would also add that it is often assumed that a bun has pasteurella without a culture & sensitivity test to confirm!

In terms of preventing snuffles/URI another factor is dust control, particularly from hay - put it on the ground not high in a rack.

A stress factor we are often unaware of is rapid, large fluctuations in temperature for several hours in house buns. It happens in cold weather when we keep the house hot when we're in, but turn the heating right off when we're at work or at night. :wave:

In terms of preventing snuffles/URI another factor is dust control, particularly from hay - put it on the ground not high in a rack.

A stress factor we are often unaware of is rapid, large fluctuations in temperature for several hours in house buns. It happens in cold weather when we keep the house hot when we're in, but turn the heating right off when we're at work or at night. :wave:

This is something I worry about with mine cos we have a solid fuel fire so often at night it will go out and the house will be cold in the morning. We've recently had insulation put in though which should hopefully help to even out the up and downs

This is something I worry about with mine cos we have a solid fuel fire so often at night it will go out and the house will be cold in the morning. We've recently had insulation put in though which should hopefully help to even out the up and downs

I'm sure that pretty lupin got an armoured electric blanket (so bunny safe) for her Nino. May be worth considering. Temp drop can precipitate stasis too. ;)

I'm sure that pretty lupin got an armoured electric blanket (so bunny safe) for her Nino. May be worth considering. Temp drop can precipitate stasis too. ;)

Yes it may well be. I did think Snugglesafes but they'll be cool by then too. I wonder if that had something to do with Smudge too then, although that was during the thaw not the heavy snowfall.

Please forgive a short digression scatter.
Schuette, I found with Thumper, that it was a combination of several factors in short succession, which tended to slow down the gut, then there would be the "last straw" effect. The "last straw", could be different for each episode. All I could do was to contol the factors I could.

Returning to topic. Pain anywhere can compromise a bunny immune system. In particular the pain of stasis can cause a fall in white cell count.
I cannot say it can cause pasteurella to change from carrier state to active invasion. I can say that it can cause reactivation of EC which had been successfully treated htherto.

All very interesting - thank you - I always worry about temperature changes -i.e. putting my house buns out in their run and whilst I obviously didn't do it during the snow, I have put them out a few days this last week, just because it's been a bit milder - but I do think about that in the house aswell!:?

Mine are housebuns and will got out for a quick run around if it is mild enough, there are many factors to consider for this from air temp/wind speed etc which can make it appropriate or not and decide the length of time spent. In the short term buns can self-regulate to a degree.

Yes I have an armoured electric blanket for Nino's arthritis - to keep his joints warm overnight (and during the day as it is winter) for when he is sat around motionless or not doing much, although that said Poppy tends to hog it! :roll::lol: Lilbun's Custard Applefurrypods and Apricot Le Bun Bun (I think I deserve a gold star for remembering their names! ;):love:) also have one of these blankets in their outdoor accomodation. They are super pieces of equipment but really only suitable for rabbits that don't chew as only the cable is armoured, not the blanket itself, however, it is still low voltage and would not cause a shock if chewed.

Mine are housebuns and will got out for a quick run around if it is mild enough, there are many factors to consider for this from air temp/wind speed etc which can make it appropriate or not and decide the length of time spent. In the short term buns can self-regulate to a degree.

Yes I have an armoured electric blanket for Nino's arthritis - to keep his joints warm overnight (and during the day as it is winter) for when he is sat around motionless or not doing much, although that said Poppy tends to hog it! :roll::lol: Lilbun's Custard Applefurrypods and Apricot Le Bun Bun (I think I deserve a gold star for remembering their names! ;):love:) also have one of these blankets in their outdoor accomodation. They are super pieces of equipment but really only suitable for rabbits that don't chew as only the cable is armoured, not the blanket itself, however, it is still low voltage and would not cause a shock if chewed.

Those blankets are worth their weight in gold, i have to agree. I bought one for Ginger who seems to go cold *really* quickly, even in a warmish house.

I had it for about a month, but its gone now, as Biccy demolished it but they were excellent.

Back