• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am battling with temptation for a 3rd Rabbit ! UD. NEVERMIND Grr p.12

mattyp

Warren Veteran
Okay so basically today my girlfriend's sister has contacted her about a friend who is apparently getting rid of her rabbit because she is fed up with it living so long (...I know...). It is 8 years old and I'd like to give a last final few years on earth, the only problem is that it is about 4 hours drive away and i'm not sure if a rabbit that old would cope well. My OH's sister seems concerned for the rabbit's safety although she has been known to exaggerate. At the minute I don't think cost is an issue but other factors such as space/time/and the parents killing me are.
I feel this may be a slippery slope though and i'll end up with 100 rabbits. I have no idea if the rabbit is a boy or a girl or whether it's neutered, but at 8 i'm not sure if it would survice GA.

Opinions and advice please RU :)

Last edited:
Okay so basically today my girlfriend's sister has contacted her about a friend who is apparently getting rid of her rabbit because she is fed up with it living so long (...I know...). It is 8 years old and I'd like to give a last final few years on earth, the only problem is that it is about 4 hours drive away and i'm not sure if a rabbit that old would cope well. My OH's sister seems concerned for the rabbit's safety although she has been known to exaggerate. At the minute I don't think cost is an issue but other factors such as space/time/and the parents killing me are.
I feel this may be a slippery slope though and i'll end up with 100 rabbits. I have no idea if the rabbit is a boy or a girl or whether it's neutered, but at 8 i'm not sure if it would survice GA.

Opinions and advice please RU :)

Wondered how long this kind of thread would take from you :lol:

Where is it Matt?

Can't believe someone would get 'fed up' with a bunny living so long :cry:

Lets think about the issues;

Parents: Sod em :lol: Seriously, one bun won't cause much extra anything really?
Space: How much do Marvin/Maisie have (in rough sq ft?)
Time: How so?

Ah bless you. I think its lovely that you are considering giving a home to a bunny, who quite frankly sounds like she would be ever so grateful for a lovely retirement home. Would you plan for her to live on her own or to bond with your other rabbits?

It is a consideration to think through time/money/space and how you might cope if she were to become ill or frail.

But if after thinking things through then I think go for it as long as you think you can make the commitment to her.

I feel like this ALL the time :oops: but we are not in a position time/energy/money/space wise to have any more (or at least, not for now ;)).

Good luck deciding :)

(Dont know about the journey thing sorry)

Haha the only problem is my parents own the house i'm renting and i'd fear for my safety :p Maisie and Marvin have plenty of space at the minute probably about 5 x 3 for their bedroom then about 8 x 4 in the hallway but the hallway is occasionally shared with stoopid hoomans including my housemates! I am planning on getting a 7 x 5 (ish can't remember exact specs) shed for them within the next 2 months with an attached run.

My main concern is that I won't be able to bond them, and although the rabbit will come with a hutch! The time issue is just me working fulltime and not seeing them apart from briefly in the morning then in the evening...it's just not enough :lol::lol:

But the love could have 4 years left!! I seem to remember my 2 still being quite spritely when they were 8, by 10 they'd slowed down, but that's fine!

Ummm...

If the bun is in good health generally, 4 hours shouldn't be too much for it, especially if there are stops on the way. Older buns aren't as active so it'll probably snooze for a lot of that.

My old boys weren't too expensive with vets, just the usual probs really.

Provided you have suitable accommodation for it, I reckon you should go for it! Ummm...in their old age, my boys didn't seem to want as much free-range time (you'd let them out, and they'd put themselves back after about 2 hours) as they did when they were younger, so it might be easier to juggle new buns time.

Re: bonding. Do you have space if oldie proves to be a grumpyface and wants to be alone?

Grrr...people are always surprised when I say I had buns who lived to be 11/12, they all think they live half that long!!:censored:

ALSO. Yes you work full time, but isn't you working full time and giving him love and attention when you ARE at home, better than the situation he's in now poor love?

Good luck whatever you decide.

:love:

Last edited:
Wondered how long this kind of thread would take from you :lol:

What on earth do you mean Gray :angel:?
And it is in Canterbury/Kent, I still don't know many details...I don't even know the sex yet haha.

I would love to bond it with my 2, but if it hasn't been neutered i'm not sure i'd want to risk that...and again not sure i'd risk getting it neutered at such an old age. :(

What on earth do you mean Gray :angel:?
And it is in Canterbury/Kent, I still don't know many details...I don't even know the sex yet haha.

I would love to bond it with my 2, but if it hasn't been neutered i'm not sure i'd want to risk that...and again not sure i'd risk getting it neutered at such an old age. :(

Dude. I used to basically live ~30mins from canterbury :roll:

Thats a LONG journey mate. If he/she is easily stressed and not neutered, just owch, that could be enough to stress him out too much :(

you could sort out a bunny train to reduce the journey from a four hour one to several shorter ones with stays at various peoples houses.

I think you do need to carefully consider and discuss with your parents whether you have enough space and whether they're happy for you to keep the bun.
If bonding isn't successful then a third bunny will be twice as much work as what you have now and you'll need to dedicate a large space to the new bun, really it would need a friend too which doubles the amount of rabbits you currently have.
Even if bonding is successful you might need to give more space to the rabbits - what do you have now?

I would suggest getting in contact with local rescues and asking where they get older rabbits that come in neutered, knowing the vet has a good track record will be reassuring.
I think the risks with a good vet are still reasonably low with a healthy 8 year old rabbit, and for me the risk would be worth it to know that for its last few years it could live with friends somewhere nice and spacious.

Dude. I used to basically live ~30mins from canterbury :roll:

Thats a LONG journey mate. If he/she is easily stressed and not neutered, just owch, that could be enough to stress him out too much :(

I know my OH is originally from there though so there are occasional trips up and down though. I mean it's 4 hours easily isn't it? :?

The accomodation problem is that I will have more than adequate accomodation, but it may hafta to go for a while in a hutch with free range time whenever i'm at home. I am currently awaiting further info, will UD as soon as I know!

I know my OH is originally from there though so there are occasional trips up and down though. I mean it's 4 hours easily isn't it? :?

The accomodation problem is that I will have more than adequate accomodation, but it may hafta to go for a while in a hutch with free range time whenever i'm at home. I am currently awaiting further info, will UD as soon as I know!

No way, thats mental. I'm originally from near Chatham :wave:

That's easily a 4hr journey, perhaps closer to 4 and a half mate.

Infact, actually, its more like 3 and a half to 4, as i'm ~30 minutes on from you and it takes just shy of 3 hours from Chatham > Burnham.

Unless your doing a bunny run like i did that night and it took Ginger and Me 6 hours of solid driving :roll: :lol:

No way, thats mental. I'm originally from near Chatham :wave:

That's easily a 4hr journey, perhaps closer to 4 and a half mate.

Infact, actually, its more like 3 and a half to 4, as i'm ~30 minutes on from you and it takes just shy of 3 hours from Chatham > Burnham.

Unless your doing a bunny run like i did that night and it took Ginger and Me 6 hours of solid driving :roll: :lol:

No way? My girlfriend used to live in Littleborne! I think it would be around 3 and a half to 4 hours, excuding stops for weeing :lol: The bunny train would be a great idea, I will pass any info and look into this more.

I have just been told the girl has decided to keep her rabbit until September before she goes to Uni or travelling, and is then going to get rid of it, when it'll probably be closer to 9 years of age.
Why are people so irritating? :?

I have just been told the girl has decided to keep her rabbit until September before she goes to Uni or travelling, and is then going to get rid of it, when it'll probably be closer to 9 years of age.

Tell me about it.......... :?

I'd keep in touch as she may change her mind again.

Tell me about it.......... :?

I'd keep in touch as she may change her mind again.

Well all contact was through my OH sister's friend so I think we'll be kept up to date, but still I feel all worked up and someone on RU even offered to collect the rabbit if it was possible. Feel like my time and others has been completely wasted.
Not to mention now I TOTALLY want a third rabbit :lol::lol::lol:

:cry: sorry for you and the bunny.

Back