• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still using their bedroom as a loo

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I'm still having trouble encouraging Jess and Joe to use their bedroom for sleeping in :roll: they insist on using it as a toilet no matter what I do.

They're in a 6x2 hutch above a 6x4 run which they have 24/7 access to (plus free range in the garden when it's nice) and they have a nice big corner litter tray down in the run which gets well used.

I have been putting megazorb down in the corners of the bedroom then filled it up with plenty of straw (to keep them warm at night)

They use 2 corners so I put a smaller corner tray in one of the corners but they just kept throwing it upside down then going to the loo where it was :censored::lol: plus the straw was higher than the tray so wasn't great.

Is there any point in me carrying on putting straw in when they surely can't be sleeping in there? because the only time i actually got them to stop using it as a loo was in the summer when i left it completely bare for a couple of weeks but as soon as i put straw back in it was a loo again....

I would just say bunnies will be bunnies and let them get on with it! As long as their hutch is kept clean, which im sure it is, then just leave them to it.

Thanks :wave: I know what you mean and if it wasn't for the fact that apparently they will never sleep in the area they use as a loo i wouldn't be bothered, I just worry that when it's been -10 and stuff that they will have been shivering away because they don't see their bedroom as somewhere to go and snuggle up, just simply their ensuite loo :roll::lol:

Actually i was in morrisons yesterday and they always have loads of boxes at the back of the tills and i've picked up one of those oblong shallow boxes (some have bottoms and some don't) and igt fits perfectly in their bedroom, so i've megazorbed and strawed it up and I shall have a see tonight when I get home if there's any doings in there. Even if there is it wil be heaps easier to clean out as I can get an unlimited amount of those boxes and it'll save trying to sweep wet megazorb out of the corners :lol:

I don't know what to suggest really, I don't have a hutch so I can't directly relate. I'd try taking the straw out and just keep the megazorb; then if they continue to use it as a toilet; you know it's going to stick with them. As for an alternative place to snugglE and sleep, I don't really know what to suggest; my buns are odd and like shiny cold surfaces to lay on. :oops:

Hope you resolve the issue soon xxx

I agree, just let them get on with it. If I was you I'd get a mahoosive litter tray and put it in the bedroom, do the whole straw thing etc, but just let them make a mess in there too and you can easily clean it out.

Thanks :) Yes my two are a bit weird as well, they seem to like sitting out getting wet and sitting in the snow rather than being upstairs on the carpet :roll: funnybuns.

Oh well, it'll be time to get the ice-pod back in the freezer soon and i'll be all worried about trying to keep them cool rather than warm lol

I'm still having trouble encouraging Jess and Joe to use their bedroom for sleeping in :roll: they insist on using it as a toilet no matter what I do.

They're in a 6x2 hutch above a 6x4 run which they have 24/7 access to (plus free range in the garden when it's nice) and they have a nice big corner litter tray down in the run which gets well used.

I have been putting megazorb down in the corners of the bedroom then filled it up with plenty of straw (to keep them warm at night)

They use 2 corners so I put a smaller corner tray in one of the corners but they just kept throwing it upside down then going to the loo where it was :censored::lol: plus the straw was higher than the tray so wasn't great.

Is there any point in me carrying on putting straw in when they surely can't be sleeping in there? because the only time i actually got them to stop using it as a loo was in the summer when i left it completely bare for a couple of weeks but as soon as i put straw back in it was a loo again....

I have absolutely no idea on how you can stop them doing it - but if you do find a way then please tell what your secret is!:lol: When my boys were in a hutch they did the same - I NEVER EVER saw them using the bedroom for sleeping or keeping warm even in the coldest temps. They only used it for hiding from me when a vet trip loomed, occassionally digging and to chew the wood in the corner :roll:

I kept filling it with straw, but this really was for my own piece of mind. I'd agree with FudgeTort and just leave them to it.

A cardboard tray is a good idea - I could never get hold of them regularly. Or maybe if you could find a plastic tray that fits the space of their bedroom? I found a great one in Robert Dyas for my foster buns that I'm sure would have fitted in, come to think of it.

It sounds like they've decided that that is their loo corner and that nothing else will do!!

Silly buns!

I'd leave them be and just put extra bedding in the main part of the hutch so they can get warm if they want to.

:love:

I agree, just let them get on with it. If I was you I'd get a mahoosive litter tray and put it in the bedroom, do the whole straw thing etc, but just let them make a mess in there too and you can easily clean it out.

Thanks :wave: I shall have a look for a jumbo bunnyloo and nail it to the floor :lol::lol:

I have absolutely no idea on how you can stop them doing it - but if you do find a way then please tell what your secret is!:lol: When my boys were in a hutch they did the same - I NEVER EVER saw them using the bedroom for sleeping or keeping warm even in the coldest temps. They only used it for hiding from me when a vet trip loomed, occassionally digging and to chew the wood in the corner :roll:

I kept filling it with straw, but this really was for my own piece of mind. I'd agree with FudgeTort and just leave them to it.

A cardboard tray is a good idea - I could never get hold of them regularly. Or maybe if you could find a plastic tray that fits the space of their bedroom? I found a great one in Robert Dyas for my foster buns that I'm sure would have fitted in, come to think of it.

Thanks :wave: Glad it's not just my buns! We haven't got that shop up here but we do have The Range and they sell everything under the sun so will have a little looky in there next week after i've got paid :)

It sounds like they've decided that that is their loo corner and that nothing else will do!!

Silly buns!

I'd leave them be and just put extra bedding in the main part of the hutch so they can get warm if they want to.

:love:

Thats a good idea, their carpets pretty yukky now so will get a new one but put a box of straw in there too, and if they poop in that then i give up :lol:

Back