• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All kits gone :(

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
All of Lolas kits have left for the bridge I found them all this morning :cry::cry:

Can't stop crying where did I go wrong!

this happened with my rabbit rubie...she rejected them...i tried to hand rear them but they all died...its so sad as one of them lasted about 6/7 days and i really thought he/she was going to make it.
im sorry about your loss...sometime rabbits just dont want to be mummys and there is usually not much you can do....i learnt that its almost impossible to hand rear them from birth.
once again sorry for your loss

I'm sorry :(
I'm sure it's nothing you did wrong. Maybe the kits had something wrong with them that you couldn't see.

She had them in the litter tray so I went out and bought some soft bedding and put it in a box for her in the hope that she would transfer them. Yesterday after finding one dead one I took the little one away maybe it upset her. One of the kits was calling to her yesterday I thought everything was going to be fine.

Mum can't transfer her babies, that needed to be you who did that.

How old were they? Had they been fed? Were they in a nest?

Baby bunnies are notoriously hard to get to adulthood, which is why they breed so much, so often and have so many in the wild.

Mum can't transfer her babies, that needed to be you who did that.

How old were they? Had they been fed? Were they in a nest?

Oh god no I didn't know that! :cry:

I wasn't prepared for it at all I didn't even know she was pregnant! I got her last Tuesday and she gave birth Thursday.

I saw her feeding once.

Yes they were in the nest.

I have had all of my others neutered so never got to learn that side.

I am such an idiot!

You're not an idiot. You were thrust into a difficult situation, having no warning or preparation and you did your best. We all learn things with hindsight, but at the time you tried your hardest.

I'm really sorry, sleep well little buns xxx

You did your best, don't blame yourself xxx

Please dont blame yourself, it is common to have losses, especially with the doe's first litter. If the mother rejects them there is nothing you can do and you would not have known if there was perhaps an underlying health problem. You tried your best and that is all you can ever do, in any situation.

Thank you everyone. I am still trying to reason with myself though. I called the vet,RSPCA and Margret Green to get good advice when she first had them as I knew nothing and still they died. I know you are all right but I still think maybe I............................... I will probably be better tomorrow but every time I look at her I feel awful.

i was like that when my kits died....and when my lovely lexo died at the weekend...but trust me there was nothing you could do...maybe they wasnt well..
hugs

Thank you everyone. I am still trying to reason with myself though. I called the vet,RSPCA and Margret Green to get good advice when she first had them as I knew nothing and still they died. I know you are all right but I still think maybe I............................... I will probably be better tomorrow but every time I look at her I feel awful.

Sad though it is, its probably better for mum to lose them because now she can focus on getting herself healthy and you can get her spayed and healthy too.

Sad though it is, its probably better for mum to lose them because now she can focus on getting herself healthy and you can get her spayed and healthy too.

You are right Sky-O. I gave her a hug earlier and checked her over I am going to call the vet and get her done as soon as they can do it. She also needs jabs I'm guessing as her previous owner never replied to me.
I had to cancel the last appointment because of the kits.

It will take about a week before she can be spayed. She's very lucky to be with you, that's for sure.

As sad as it is, sometimes these things happen for a reason. Don't beat yourself up about it. You did your very best and that's all anyone can ask. She is lucky to have someone looking after her who has her best interests at heart :wave:

Back