• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Hay - Damp - smells disgusting :(

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Bought a fresh bag yesterday, its always been find, same as the last 10 bags i've had.

Got it home, finished the old bag, opened the new and almost died with the smell. It smelt damp and musty so i refused to use it. Called the store i bought from (local store) and they refused to take it back as its been opened.

I explained that i had to open it to know it was bad.

So annoyed. I don't have spare money to be wasting on things like this right now :(

Er... they HAVE to refund or exchange Gray under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 because the item you purchased is not of satisfactory quality - go in and tell them that and enforce your statutory rights! ;) They simply have no choice over the matter.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...r_rights.htm#your_rights_when_things_go_wrong

p.s. it happened to me with some green oat hay - all 3 bags of it. But of course Lisa at the hayexperts is fab and sent some more without delay no charge for postage etc

surely they have to take it back, consumer rights and all that??

I'm going to phone them again and have a fight. I really didnt feel like it yesterday again, Ginger had a bad bout and i was too involved in looking after her to fight my corner so i just gave up :(

It's disgusting, seriously, it smells so damp and it feels damp too. Like a Tshirt that needs a couple more hours on the line.

I've actually got no hay now. I've given them the last of the bag i had and i can't go out til lunchtime now.

Sucks, hope it lasts.

Er... they HAVE to refund or exchange Gray under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 because the item you purchased is not of satisfactory quality - go in and tell them that and enforce your statutory rights! ;) They simply have no choice over the matter.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...r_rights.htm#your_rights_when_things_go_wrong

p.s. it happened to me with some green oat hay - all 3 bags of it. But of course Lisa at the hayexperts is fab and sent some more without delay no charge for postage etc

What about this line though PL:

•you examined the goods, or a sample of the goods, when you were buying them, and the fault you want to complain about was so obvious that you should have noticed it

Should i have noticed the colour difference of the hay? It's quite browny.

I'm going to phone them again and have a fight. I really didnt feel like it yesterday again, Ginger had a bad bout and i was too involved in looking after her to fight my corner so i just gave up :(

It's disgusting, seriously, it smells so damp and it feels damp too. Like a Tshirt that needs a couple more hours on the line.

I've actually got no hay now. I've given them the last of the bag i had and i can't go out til lunchtime now.

Sucks, hope it lasts.

That's how mine smelt - I physically gagged when I opened the bags it was just awful :mrgreen: More like a t-shirt that's been sat wet in a washing machine for a week.... yuck!
I'd pop into the conversation that the quality of hay is so poor it is in fact a risk to health (for rabbits and you) from fungal spores.

What about this line though PL:

•you examined the goods, or a sample of the goods, when you were buying them, and the fault you want to complain about was so obvious that you should have noticed it

Should i have noticed the colour difference of the hay? It's quite browny.

How can you examine the goods in a sealed bag? You can't! It's not reasonable. This is what applies to stuff that you can actually examine physically like a 2nd hand car or perhaps vintage/antiques in a store - where some wear and tear is to be expected.

ETA i'd also take the bag with you and shove it under their nose! :lol: The trick is not to be aggressive about it just calm and forceful and raising your voice a little so other customers can hear often does the trick... my mum did that once when returning a pair of jeans for me in some dodgy London shop... they were so embarassed they gave her a refund and there was nothing wrong with the item and it was credit note only. :D

Last edited:
How can you examine the goods in a sealed bag? You can't! It's not reasonable. This is what applies to stuff that you can actually examine physically like a 2nd hand car or perhaps vintage/antiques in a store - where some wear and tear is to be expected.

Okay cool, i'll go back there during my lunch break.

Thanks PL.

They're being unreasonable - let us know what they say - looks like everyone has given you good advice!

I was told this once too when I complained. They did change it. It could be dangerous to feed your rabbits this so best to take it back for an exchange (maybe open the bag before you leave this time).

Butt Kicking Commenced.

I have 2 bags of hay now, one as an apology :lol:

I made them phone their HO while i was there.

Some Customer Services bod said exchange and give one as good will :D

So i got one JUMBO bag and one 'Large'

Smells better, still not very green, but its dry and not damp and is being nommed as we speak.

Well done sticking up for yourself and getting it replaced and the extra - so they should! It really annoys me when shops try and get away with not doing the right thing - they rely on people just not having the fight in them.

Back