• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is he doing well?

beccimarie

Mama Doe
im feeling so low about casper being on pain relief all the time for his tooth :cry: can anyone reasure me he is doing well :(

I got casper when he was 4, the previous owners said "my sisters never home to feed it anymore" he was in a little hutch with only mixed feed as food, i picked him up and fell in love i said i would take him, that very day i did all the research i could on buns got a bigger hutch and run and got him a lovely fresh bale of hay! And got him his friend poppy.

When he was 7 he had his first op for dental, he has had previous dentals but no under GA, he got through brilliantly, then 8 years old he got the snuffles and is now stable.

Do you think he is doing well :(

Yes at 9yrs old and with a difficult start in life I think he is doing amazingly well! It must be all the love and care you give him that makes him want to stick around into very old age :love: x

You are doing a wonderful job - and have been since the first day you brought little Casper home. I know you don't like to think of him as old, but as PL says he is a good age for a rabbit who didn't have a good start - and that's a tribute to your love and care. :love: Although I don't have personal experience of older buns, from what I've read on here it is not unusual for buns to be on permanent or at least regular medication at Casper's age.

You are doing a wonderful job - and have been since the first day you brought little Casper home. I know you don't like to think of him as old, but as PL says he is a good age for a rabbit who didn't have a good start - and that's a tribute to your love and care. :love: Although I don't have personal experience of older buns, from what I've read on here it is not unusual for buns to be on permanent or at least regular medication at Casper's age.

:love:

Lovely post there Susie, took the words out of my mouth. I've been trying to find the words to type, but i've not been that great of late with words.

Thank you everyone so much, your all so kind, youve all really helped me stay postive about everything and casper is feeling alot better for it so now i see he needs to be on pain killers, i also think he must has arthritis because he seems alot more moveable now he is on metacam, iv havnt seen him binky so much in ages as i seen him today :) there is a full update on dental-casper and pictures of him today :love:

I think he is doing awesomely too :)

I have Wish on permanent pain relief, and also, before her, Rosie was.

Wish has been on pain relief since she was 16 weeks old, she is now 9 months old. We have the odd wobble but she wouldn't be here without those meds, and if she was, she would be incredibly miserable.

Quality of life over quantity of life is the most important thing and it sounds like Casper has great quality :)

I think he is doing awesomely too :)

I have Wish on permanent pain relief, and also, before her, Rosie was.

Wish has been on pain relief since she was 16 weeks old, she is now 9 months old. We have the odd wobble but she wouldn't be here without those meds, and if she was, she would be incredibly miserable.

Quality of life over quantity of life is the most important thing and it sounds like Casper has great quality :)

:) thank you, its nice to hear other people arre on permanent pain relief for there buns, i dont want to be known ass cruel for keeping him alive on them, but if you saw him today, he is so so happy and bouncy and nothing is wrong i just think he has a few more good times to come :)

:) thank you, its nice to hear other people arre on permanent pain relief for there buns, i dont want to be known ass cruel for keeping him alive on them, but if you saw him today, he is so so happy and bouncy and nothing is wrong i just think he has a few more good times to come :)

Trust yourself. Plenty of people are on long term pain relief to improve their quality of life, why shouldn't a bunny be, if he is happy and wants to live :)

If you could see Wish you would definitely say its ok to keep a bunny alive with pain relief. She is the one over the barriers, jumping on my book shelves, thieving food, binkying, bunny 500-ing, sneaking into places she shouldn't be, hiding in rooms she shouldn't be in, etc. She is totally full of life (there are a couple of people on here who have met her who would likely varify that too) and totally happy. Its not wrong to give them meds to help their quality of life. It just means you love them :)

If you're looking at what's best for him, then you won't go wrong. And it sounds like you are because it sounds like he really wants to be alive.

My Lils is on pain relief and baytril quite often.There are times the meds are given for longer periods of time with shorter intervals.A little bun with big problems.....

Keep up the good work with Casper......he does appreciate all your efforts Im certain.xxxxx

Trust yourself. Plenty of people are on long term pain relief to improve their quality of life, why shouldn't a bunny be, if he is happy and wants to live :)

If you could see Wish you would definitely say its ok to keep a bunny alive with pain relief. She is the one over the barriers, jumping on my book shelves, thieving food, binkying, bunny 500-ing, sneaking into places she shouldn't be, hiding in rooms she shouldn't be in, etc. She is totally full of life (there are a couple of people on here who have met her who would likely varify that too) and totally happy. Its not wrong to give them meds to help their quality of life. It just means you love them :)

If you're looking at what's best for him, then you won't go wrong. And it sounds like you are because it sounds like he really wants to be alive.

This has made me feel so much better, i think it what has been troubling me, but you are totally right, he really wants to be alive he is such a fighter and he didnt sit and feel sorry for himself he got right outside running around binking and eating :) i feel so much better now :)

This has made me feel so much better, i think it what has been troubling me, but you are totally right, he really wants to be alive he is such a fighter and he didnt sit and feel sorry for himself he got right outside running around binking and eating :) i feel so much better now :)

I'm glad you're feeling better now :) You're not doing anything wrong by following what he wants.

Before Christmas Badger's body was giving up on him and he couldn't breathe, but he so badly wanted to live. I wouldn't have necessarily taken all the steps I did for Badger, with another rabbit, because what's right for one is not necessarily right for another depending on what their tolerance levels are, etc. Its very tough when you have to advocate for someone who can't speak, so you can only do what you feel is best for him based on what he is telling you through non verbal communication, and you're doing a great job of that.

I'm glad you're feeling better now :) You're not doing anything wrong by following what he wants.

Before Christmas Badger's body was giving up on him and he couldn't breathe, but he so badly wanted to live. I wouldn't have necessarily taken all the steps I did for Badger, with another rabbit, because what's right for one is not necessarily right for another depending on what their tolerance levels are, etc. Its very tough when you have to advocate for someone who can't speak, so you can only do what you feel is best for him based on what he is telling you through non verbal communication, and you're doing a great job of that.

Yes, i know what you mean, i think it all depends on how willing they are to carry on, casper seems like a young bun again today, i just went to give him his night time feed and he was hopping around all excited running up and down the stairs and gnawing on his gnawing stone like he is in no pain, thank you for making me feel better, i think its because i have never been in this situation before i just found it hard to understand am i doing the best thing,
x

Back